Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Burning blu-ray content to DVD-R media (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Burning blu-ray content to DVD-R media
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2008 04:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like the title says, has anyone figured out how to do this and make it work? I couldn't give a flip about ripping and making a dupe of the blu-ray for Freddy Got Fingered. All I am wanting to do is to get 10-20 minutes worth of non-Hollywood-movie video in full definition blu-ray format burned onto a conventional 4.7GB dvd that will play in a deck, such as the Samsung 1400 or the Panasonic DMP-BD30K.

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-06-2008 06:13 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a disc is called a BD5 (single layer) or BD9 (dual layer). I don't have any tips on creating them, but perhaps those terms will help your search.

(HD-DVD also supports this. I've been tempted to get some HD-DVD players just do this cheaply...)

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If I wanted to use a crappy HD-DVD player, this would indeed be easy. This isn't for a short-term fix though and those players won't last too long in the big picture. Plus its not like I can run out to the store and pick up another.

I've been all through it online, searching, reading and trying (and yes I used BD5 in the search attempts). I was hoping maybe somebody here has done it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-07-2008 06:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a conventional DVD drive capable of achieving a high enough data transfer rate to play back HD content in real time? For example, if you burn a high bitrate MPEG-2 file (above around 6mbps in my experience) onto a CD-ROM, most drive and PC combinations aren't fast enough to play that content back in real time - you have to copy it to the hard drive.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2008 07:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the idea. The idea is to play it back on a desktop blu-ray player.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-07-2008 08:23 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BluRay specification requires that this be supported at the 3x DVD speed. So as long as a conventional DVD player can run at 3x, then yes, the hardware supports this and it is merely a question of software.

--jhawk

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-07-2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case it seems to me that it's down to the model of BR player that Brad will be using. If it can spin the DVD fast enough to read the BR data off it for real-time playback, and if the firmware in the player supports reading a Blu-Ray file structure from a DVD-R, then it should work. I guess it's a case of researching the model of player before buying.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-07-2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way I could see this idea working really depends on the ability of the Blu-ray player to play non standard content from a DVD-based data disc. I'm skeptical such a DVD-R disc could work with a complete Blu-ray menu structure and load like a Blu-ray movie disc.

I think the main problem is the Blu-ray player will detect the DVD-R media as being DVD and not Blu-ray. Once sniffing out the disc as being DVD, the Blu-ray player may only look for standard DVD-V data (SD quality NTSC or PAL video in MPEG-2) and disregard anything else on the disc.

If the Blu-ray player can be tricked into seeing the disc as a data disc instead of a video disc it might be able to play individual video files if the player has the ability to use DVD data-based discs. The downside is you have no auto-play or user friendly menu structure or any of that stuff. The user has to click an individual video file and play it.

The Playstation 3 can play lots of content from different kinds of discs (provided you store that content in correctly named folders the PS3 can identify). And if something like a 1080p quality movie trailer doesn't play perfectly from an inserted SD card or DVD-R data disc you can copy the file to the internal hard drive for improved playback quality. But I would be surprised if a PS3 could successfully "see" a DVD-R disc loaded with Blu-ray formatted content as being Blu-ray based.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-07-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is part of the BluRay Disc standard. I don't believe it is optional to implement.

It is not a matter of "tricking" the BD player.

--jhawk

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2008 11:24 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony just announced upgrades to its Vegas and DVD Architect products that will enable Vegas users to more easily create HD content on Blu-ray:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/bluray

I'm trying to find some information specific to burning HD onto DVD, but so far, all I can find is the mention at the bottom of that page that reads:

quote:
Use DVD Architect Pro 5 software to burn a BDMV high-definition title to standard DVD media. (Requires a Blu-ray player that supports BDMV on DVD).
Here is a question on the Sony forums that says that it's possible:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=601834&Replies=27

After reading through it all, I'd peg your chances at creating a DVD that standalone Blu-ray players can read and play back HD content at a definite "maybe." Be prepared to sink lots of time into experimentation and digging through forums to find out what others have done to get it to work.

Being able to produce HD onto cheap DVD media was one of the strengths of HD DVD that I was really looking forward to playing with... I'm hoping that doing the same with Blu-ray will be successful for you so you can tell us what you found that worked [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-07-2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
This is part of the BluRay Disc standard. I don't believe it is optional to implement.
If that was true then Brad wouldn't be having any problems at all authoring BD-based content on DVD media. He should be able to write a BDMV project onto a DVD-R and have it load in any BD player. Whether it's part of the standard or not, I have a feeling the BD player he's using is seeing a DVD-R disc and only wanting to look for DVD-based material due to the kind of media being loaded.

quote: Scott Jentsch
Being able to produce HD onto cheap DVD media was one of the strengths of HD DVD that I was really looking forward to playing with.
HD-DVD and DVD used similar hardware for mass disc replication, but the discs were different (4.7GB/9.4GB DVD with 10Mb/s max bandwidth versus 15GB/30GB with 30Mb/s max bandwidth). Now if the HD-DVD player didn't care what kind of disc held HD-DVD based content that would be another matter. But the standard DVD media still has its bandwidth and capacity limits to consider.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2008 05:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For PCs, try downloading and burning this:

http://www.spectracal.com/downloads/video_iso/AVCHD%20RC1.exe

The EXE will extract an ISO. Burn the ISO to your DVD player. You will get a disc that is compatible with Blu-ray players and has some test patterns and whatnot, complete with menu, even on the shitty Samsung! The disc in question is called an AVCDVD.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2008 06:32 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but I think the best option may just be to rip, reencode and downsample to DVD standard, and burn as a standard DVD. May not be High Def anymore, but at least you get your content. Other than that, not sure. I'll look around as well. I used to be pretty good about burning XSVCDs that'd get damn near DVD quality, but only if you don't mind changing discs every so often. :-\

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2008 07:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I already tried downloading the file Joe posted when I talked to him last week about this and it played on everything. Problem is we don't know how to author that type of disc. Do note it HAS to have menu navagation functionality. We are using Adobe CS3 software.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
I think the best option may just be to rip
Not trying to rip. Trying to create from scratch with original content.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: