Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I Hate Family Guy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I Hate Family Guy
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2008 06:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought the characters looked completely insipid, and it looks like it's trying to appeal to only a white trailer trash audience. Recently on another forum someone posted a quick Youtube video from the show:

Family Guy's take on the Take On Me video

Ummm... where's the funny? I'll tell you where.... it's NOWHERE! I'm very familiar with the original music video, and I don't see the joke other than the dipshit kid is in it for absolutely no reason whatsoever. And then when he gets booted out, all he can say is "I don't know!!!" Wow. Great writing.

Thank god for the writer's strike.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least for me, when I watch Family Guy alone, I often don't laugh, like any time I see Dane Cook on TV. But I find when you watch it with a group who gets the humor it's usually brought out. But not all episodes are that great.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-12-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, Family Guy is easy to stop. All you have to do is remove an idea ball from the manatee tank at Fox. This will cause the manatees to stop working. You see, manatees are very ethical writers. Either everything is okay, or nothing is.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2008 09:29 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
This will cause the manatees to stop working
hahahaha, I'm going to hop on my Big Wheel and ride to California to stop the manatees. Maybe the manatees will team up with the dolphins since, according to the Hitchhikers Guide, they are the second smartest things on earth. I don't think mice and manatee writing would be as good as manatee and dolphin writing.

where the hell did I start on that tangent? Anyway....

I'm just sick of seeing Family Guy reruns ALL THE TIME on Adult Swim. Too much of an ok thing is, well.... too much.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-12-2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... maybe I should have put this in Afterlife.

South Park rules... usually.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Family Guy rules!

South Park is just as funny..

Nothing like quick witted satirical humor... [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-13-2008 01:39 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Family Guy is acceptably funny because its main character has balls on his chin, but without having a dick in his mouth. After all, it's meant to be "family fare." Balls alone equals TV-14 or even TV-G.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2008 04:56 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say from the outset, I completely empathize with you Joe.

The downfall of most pop culture reference driven shows is that they tend to be shit. Family Guy is no exception.

We were all there Seth. We all get it. Thundercats, Paula Abdul, A-Ha etc..., very clever of you to remember them, did you do it all by yourself? (obviously not, there used to be some kind of retard army)

Fat Guy: Actually, this kind of reminds me of the time I got a lot of TV and pop culture references on the verge of being forgotten then made a pastiche of them in the guise of a character based cartoon, and it was vaguely funny for like 5 minutes.

Stupid Baby: Then wot happened lawl? (apparently talking gay is funny now?)

Fat Guy: We got canceled, then some facial bumfluff teenagers who downloaded all the episodes in 100x100 res, learnt to write, then made a petition to bring us back. Apparently it turns out Fox isn't stupid, so we got a movie instead.

Seth Green's beyond irritating character thing: What was the movie like?

Fat Guy: Extremely lame and annoying.

The worst character in the show; Dog: I'm already sick of this show.

Sexual predator neighbor: I've become a pop culture meme! Gabbity Gabbity Goo.

Words simply cannot explain the contempt I have for this show, it simply is just awful. I cannot fathom how I used to like it. It is just dribble of the worst calibre. [bs]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-13-2008 10:53 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Damien Taylor
learnt to write
You need to learn that the past tense of learn is learned.

Screw you and your "Queen's English bullshit."

[Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-13-2008 11:49 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen two episodes of Family Guy and got a few laughs, although the talking baby character was taxing. But, as with The Simpsons, these "adult" cartoons have a tendency to be sacrilegious, which I simply can't tolerate.

I like SpongeBob Squarepants. Now, that's a funny show.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 02:28 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
But, as with The Simpsons, these "adult" cartoons have a tendency to be sacrilegious
Actually, much of the christian community doesn't have a problem with The Simpsons, because their portrayal of christians (like Flanders) as honest, decent people that help others out regardless of cost to them is appealing.

Back to the original point, Family Guy has such inferior writing that I don't get why people love it, but like Trey Parker and Matt Stone said in an interview, it seems like Family Guy's writers have the talent to make a good show, they just choose not to for some reason like they're just lazy or something. They will stumble across a good joke from time to time, but what you have to filter through to get there is not worth it.

Mike - I agree with Dane Cook not being funny. And he's a joke stealer.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 03:53 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original run of family guy was entertaining. Ever since it returned it is aweful. I watched 2 or 3 or the new episodes and never watched again!

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 01-15-2008 06:37 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I was a huge fan during its first, original run. I laughed aloud, and pop references of decades past were more sparse, more clever, and more unlike anything else I watched. It was the DVD sales after its cancellation that brought it back, and it came back strong. But I rarely found myself laughing aloud anymore.

When the Seinfeld sitcom ended, I recall Jerry saying that it was its time, that the characters had become caricatures of themselves. The comedy got a little stale. In my opinion, Family Guy, while once original with an underlying wit, just hit its stale point too soon. And, in the nature of the show, stretching a joke indefinitely without adding any actual new joke content, isn't always funny.

In all fairness, this was never a show I could really enjoy in clips out of context. That's difficult to appreciate because the entire show is a hodgepodge of clips out of context. However, the nonlinearity worked for it. Like minimalist music, it may be boring in brief excerpts, but that just means you haven't heard enough of it yet. It was surreal, and the fun came from the completely unexpected turns you didn't see coming (as opposed, of course, to those unexpected turns you fully expect). [Wink]

Once you start to see the turns, it's a dull drive and you're asking "are we there yet?"

Have I mixed too many metaphors? [Big Grin] [Razz] [beer]

These days, I don't watch ANY television.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love it

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2008 02:48 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had access to Boomerang, the second "cartoon network", I watched an episode of Flintstones that caused me to cringe in the 21st century...I never recalled how Fred was so violent toward Barney. I somehow looked over that when I was little. Fred couldn't do that if the show was produced now. (Knock Knock Knock..."Fred Flintstone? Bedrock Police...this is in regards to an incident involving you and your neighbor, Mr Rubble...could you please step outside?"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: