Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wierd Web Browser Problem with Backgrounds (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wierd Web Browser Problem with Backgrounds
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a strange web browser problem in that on several web sites the background does not diaplay. I also see this problem with the setup program on the Christie ZX projector where the background, pull down boxes and so on are not there... just a white background... although the setup program works just fine if you know where the pull downs are at. I normally run Internet Explorer 7 on the this laptop but I also downloaded the latest Netscape and it has exactly the same problem.... missing backgrounds. So this leads me to believe that its an XP issue and not the browser. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks,
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Could you provide an example web site where this problem occurs?

I can take a look with the set of browsers that I have at my disposal, plus take a look at the code and see if they're doing some non-standard stuff which is most likely the cause of the problem.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 07:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should have stayed with IE-6, even IE-5.5 is a better browser. IE-7 isn't all quite there yet being related to VISTA. Big thing about these newer browsers, if your memory allocation isn't at least 1gB in size, performance can suffer.

If going Crapscape, find the older versions (like v.7.00, v.7.10 .. anything below v.8.00) Or, dive into Firefox which is the best - even though Crapscape and Firefox are both Mozilla related.

If you're gonna uninstall, go into the Registry and git rid of the keys related to what program you've uninstalled since, sometimes, these keys remain after an uninstall.

Or, as mentioned before a few wks ago: do a system restore BEFORE these problems occurred in the browser, if it's system related. That might get you back to square one.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-10-2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEre are a couple of examples.... Its not the background color setting... I also don't believe its the web browser because both IE7 and Netscape both do the same thing.
Here's how this web site is supposed to look....
 -

Here is how it looks on the laptop...
 -

The Christie setup software which is actually web browser based is missing all it's backgrounds, tabs and pull down boxes.... it all works though if you know where the tabs and pull downs are....

-

Strange ha?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-10-2007 10:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, see this MS knowledgebase article. I suspect that's your problem. If I check the box "Ignore colors specified on web pages", that DAP page looks exactly like your screen grab.

Control Panel, Internet Options, General. Click the "Accessibility" button, make sure no options are checked.

Hmm, only seems to affect IE though.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-10-2007 10:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked and none of the boxes on that page are checked... Thanks for posting that though. I am beginning to wonder if its an actual Windows problem and not something with the browser.

Mark

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2007 01:19 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Are you running an anti-virus program with ad blocking? I would have several fields unaccessible when I had Norton's ad block on.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-11-2007 02:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like that running. Have Adaware on here but Adwatch is not running at the moment.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2007 04:07 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The home page on the http://www.dap-inc.com/ web site has a lot of issues, so I'm not surprised that a browser would have difficulty displaying that page.

What's odd is that it appears that IE 7 is acting differently on the different machines.

Usually, the problems that are evidenced in your screenshots are a result of poor web design. In the DAP Inc. example, they have multiple HTML closing tags, lots of JavaScript that was copied from various repositories, and the page was generated by FrontPage. In this case, copy and paste was not their friend.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2007 05:30 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the repetetive animation on the bottom of the page...that is quite a busy front page.
Mark, are the animated rovers showing up on your lap-top?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-12-2007 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any animation on the bottom of the DAP web page even on the puter at home. What about the bottom picture of the Christie ZX setup software which is supposedly made up of simple graphics with pull down boxes.....? Nothing odd about that one. I tried two other laptops tonight that belonged to friends and they worked just fine.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-13-2007 04:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I clicked on, in my DELL Inspiron 6000 (and I notice that Mark, is that an XPS-1210 laptop there?) that D.A.P. site (in IE-6 and XP) and loaded up just fine

..and it loaded up fine in Firefox 2.0 as well.

Check to see if you've got the latest FLASH player software from Adobe for the animation. It could be a FLASH issue due to the vehicle animation. You need v.9.0.xxx.xx for the most FLASH updated software. The entire front page could have been encoded for FLASH playback.

Also, in the Adobe site, you should also download the lastest SHOCKWAVE FLASH player being v.10.x.x. Some of these sites require the most updated players so their pages can be properly displayed.

Also, what is totally interesting is that when you right-click on the screen, they've got it protected from any copying for a small window pops up for contact info.

-Monte

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2007 08:08 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flash...that would probably be it.
I was thinking Java.
I had to update my Java. Works great in Firefox. IE has problems with it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-14-2007 07:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the latest Java but I'll check the flash thingy..... good idea! Its definately NOT the web browser!! Its an XPS M1210.... pile of crap, the case on it is literally falling apart after 13 months of ownership. Never another Dell!

UPDATE: That was part of the problem. I now have the little cars at the bottom and the tan background but still not the green background nor the image at the top. I'm thnking a file is missing somewhere in windows that controls this. Thanks for getting it this far though!

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-14-2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Its an XPS M1210.... pile of crap
Are you using it as a portable? The XPS line won't last if you actually move them out of your house. The best, durability wise (and actually best if you're not a gaming freak), Dell has is their Latitude series. I've had my current Latitude for 5 years now... I often keep it wedged between a couple tool boxes in my car. If not there, I bash it around in a backpack. I've never seen an Inspiron or XPS last and I'm waiting to see what happens to the few Vostros we now have.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: