Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Senator Theatre is playing Fiddler on the Roof in IB and 4-track (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Senator Theatre is playing Fiddler on the Roof in IB and 4-track
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-04-2007 07:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Senator theatre in Baltimore, MD is now playing Fiddler on the Roof in 4-track magnetic stereo sound! Furthermore, the print is an IB technicolor print!

Show times daily are 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00pm. The film will play from 12/4/07 until 12/13/07 when it will be replaced by Blade Runner in 35mm.

Please note that the Senator will once again have its annual Maryland Food Bank Benefit showing of the double feature of Its a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol (1951 version) on December 16th.

On December 21st, the Senator will start Charlie Wilson's War.

For more information go to www.senator.com

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-04-2007 10:18 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Thanks for the alert Steve. Kate and I will definitely try to make that.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-04-2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a original 1971 181 minute version, not the trimmed 1979 Dolby Stereo 149 minute version.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-06-2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That answers the question I had. Thanks, Bill.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh - Baltimoore.... on the other side of the planet.
Wish I was there - to stay with the cinema's own word in the homepage. Rest of the month too.
Hope, it will pull in the crowd [thumbsup]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-06-2007 10:03 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kate & I are planning to be there tomorrow (Friday the 7th) at 12 Noon.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-07-2007 05:22 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a collector's print? UA sure didn't have a 4trk IBTech print when I was offering them my first born AND the wife -- all I got was a cut mono optical. And at 60/40 too. Ripped me off but good. I just love it when people come out of the theatre insisting there were parts of songs missing. I run and hide but my associate stands there and takes it....appologizing and refuned money to those who made a pressing point of coming and finding us.

By the third show we had signs up that the print that was being shown was edited BY THE DISTRIBUTOR and was beyond our control. We made sure the sign was pointed out to everyone before they bought a ticket.

In the revival business, your audience 9 out of 10 have already seen the film, some of them MANY times and know it inside and out. In the case of a musical, they know EVERY note....they have the soundtrack album at home. And maybe even the tape or DVD. So they come to your theatre to see it IN THE THEATRE and the BEST version. Cheating them with a cut version is heresy....as far as I am concerned, you might as well be defiling some sacred artifact of their religion or something, or calling a teadybear by a sacred name.

The cut version of CAMELOT was the worst I've ever seen -- whole choruses of songs were cut. An entire chorus and finale of the title song "Camelot" was cut, and right in the middle of a joke, loosing the punch line. The very early sequence where Guenivere first meets Authur and doesn't know that he is the king, he tries to convince her how wonderful living in Camelot will be. Authur sings the first half of the song, pauses and then explains that the leaves just wisk away, "at night...(he pauses)....of course." She laughs and chides him in semi-mocking/semi-disbelief, "Of course." and the full last chorus immediately follows with the two singing a duet. In the cut version, Guenivere never answers "Of course." it just cuts to the end of the scene -- no duet, not end of the song even. It was a horror. At one show, someone in the audience actually screamed out, "OF COURSE" when he realized what Guenivere's line was missing. Also, the entire exposition of how Merilin knows everything before it happens because he is going backwards in time -- he "youthens," is all cut so no one gets to understand the whole subplot....unless they remember it from the last time they saw the full version. Luckily we were able get a 4trk full version from WB after two years of my persistant hounding everyone I could ever get on the phone; one old timer happened to get my call by accident and knew where there was a studio print in a closet somewhere that was not in the inventory. Another three months to convince them to give it to us. The 4trk mag sounded spectacular, especially the bombastic lead up to the intermission. It gave me goose bumps every single time it came around (I ran every show). I'd be surprised if that 4trk mag print hasn't been shreaded.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-07-2007 10:40 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank if you go to the Senator's web site it's says it's a collector's Roadshow print.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-07-2007 11:45 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw it today, and I still have "If I were a rich man" stuck in my head. What a great show. The print looked good and sounded great. I talked to the projectionist and thanked him for a great presentation. He was kind of surprised, and said "Usually when people want to talk to me they want to complain about something." No complaints here. Steve, he said to thank you for your hard work in making sure that it sounded good. It did sound fantastic, so thanks! Congrats to The Senator. A show well done. And a big thanks to the collector for letting his print be shown, not to mention to the studio for letting it be shown. Excellent job.

If you live in the area, make an effort to see this show.

[thumbsup]

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-08-2007 08:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm in the Senator as much as any to service it...my most recent vist was to prep for the 70mm show of Lawrence....Neal set up Fiddler for 4-track.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-08-2007 09:38 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When is Lawrence? Or did I miss it?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-08-2007 09:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lawrence preceeded Fiddler...you missed it...shame on you!

Steve

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-08-2007 11:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks! Guess I better pay better attention next time!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2007 06:01 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the evening show on Sunday. Surprisingly, considering I generally dislike musicals, I enjoyed the film. (I had never seen the film before in its entirety or in a theater.)

Despite the great reputation the SENATOR has, I'd give the presentation a "C" due to poor sound during the first half an hour or so, as well as showmanship faux pas such as not closing the curtains and projecting the "tails" during the end of the first act following the Intermission title as well as at the end of the feature. And despite what the projectionist said to me after I inquired (i.e. complained), it sounded as though the (mono) optical track was what we heard during Reel 1 and half of Reel 2.

Overall, I enjoyed the film and am glad I went, especially considering how rare such presentations (roadshow length, IB Technicolor, 4-track mag) are these days.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-10-2007 10:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there at the 4:00pm show on Sunday. The mix definately seemed to have a mono versus "full" feel to it. Very few pans as compared to earlier multi-channel mixes from the 50s and 60s.

As to the curtain...cut the guy some slack...the curtain machine is BROKEN...the only way to have the curtain open and close is someone to sneak down the aisle and go up on stage and then get to the curtain cords and pull them...pretty tough from the booth but they did close the curtain for the intermission on our show.

For the, the sound was a bit low on the 1st act and I complained...It was louder for the 2nd act but the manager noted that the volume was low due to previous complaints about it being too loud.

The print was entirely watchable with good color. There are few emulsion scratches but many base scratches that vary in quantity and intensity...sometimes they seem to be gone, sometimes it was like rain...but still entirely watchable. The focus was a bit of a challenge at times too.

They are Film Guarding the print so hopefully with each successive showing it will be getting better and better (dirt/scratches and focus). Anyone that hasn't seen Film Guard on Acetate won't believe their eyes....as good as Film Guard is on Polyester...it will erase (fill-in) scratches on Acetate.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: