Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Quiet Riot lead singer dead at age 52

Author Topic: Quiet Riot lead singer dead at age 52
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-27-2007 12:08 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty shocking news. Kevin DuBrow, the front man for 80's hard rock band Quiet Riot is dead.

I saw the band's original lineup perform here in Lawton a few years ago at the Diamondback Club. All four autographed my old vinyl LP of Metal Health. That was pretty cool -especially getting bass player Rudy Sarzo's autograph (he played alongside Randy Rhoads in Ozzy Osbourne's original lineup).
News Link
quote:
(CNN) -- Kevin DuBrow, the lead singer of the 1980s heavy metal band Quiet Riot, has died, CNN has confirmed. He was 52.

DuBrow died at his home in Las Vegas, Nevada, according to TMZ.com. The Clark County coroner's office was examining the body to determine the cause of death, according to TMZ.

"I'm at a loss for words. I've just lost my best friend," Quiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali told CNN. "Out of respect for both Kevin and his family, I won't comment further. There's going to be a lot of speculation out there, and I won't add to that. I love him too much."

Quiet Riot hit the top of the charts with its 1983 album, "Metal Health," considered by some sources as the first heavy metal album to hit No. 1. The album was driven by the group's cover of Slade's "Cum on Feel the Noize," which hit the Top 40.

The band's other hits included "Bang Your Head (Metal Health)" and another Slade cover, "Mama Weer All Crazee Now."

The band formed in the mid-1970s behind DuBrow and guitarist Randy Rhoads, who later joined Ozzy Osbourne's band and died in a tour accident. After several years, during which time the band disbanded, regrouped and built an audience, everything came together for "Metal Health," which put Quiet Riot in the vanguard of the Los Angeles heavy metal movement.

But the band's rushed follow-up, "Condition Critical," didn't do as well, and DuBrow started taking shots at other L.A. bands, such as Motley Crue and Ratt, according to Allmusic.com. Within a few years, the band had mutinied (leaving DuBrow at a hotel in Hawaii while other members returned to California, Allmusic's Eduardo Rivadavia observes) and taken on a new lead singer. The bad blood prompted a lawsuit from DuBrow.

By the 1990s tempers had calmed and the band got together again, putting out a live album in 1999 and a new studio set, "Guilty Pleasures," in 2001. According to Allmusic, the band broke up once more after its release.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2007 09:20 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sucks... it's gotta be weird to be a rock star on top of the world, to going to living with your mother and playing nudist camps just to pay the bills (this was on one of those Vh1 specials I think). I wonder if it was suicide... we'll find out soon I'm sure.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-11-2007 11:13 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Clark County Coroner's office ruled on Monday that it was a "accidental Cocaine overdose".

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They just played "My Waterloo Days" this past summer here. It was this cheesy, fantastic, shiny throwback to 80's metal acts, complete with "How's everybody doin' over here!? How 'bout on this side!?". He had this huge, sequined belt on with his gut hanging over its. It started raining and everyone got soaked and it was so much fun. I guess I'm not surprised at the news, but it does bring back some great memories.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: