Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy Thanksgiving...

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving...
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-21-2007 01:36 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
...you turkeys! HA! [Razz]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have "A GREAT TURKEY DAY!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2007 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gobble Gobble!

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2007 02:48 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh those poor animals.........I prefer the dark meat myself [Big Grin]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YUMMY! [Wink] [Wink]

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2007 10:47 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mary had a little lamb,a little pork, a little jam, a little egg on toast, a little potted roast, a little stew with dumplings white, a little shad, for Mary had, a little appetite.

'Twas in a restaurant they met, a Montague, a Capulet. He had no cash to pay the debt, so Rome owed what Juli et.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-21-2007 11:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2007 08:39 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COOKING TURKEY WITH CARBON ARCS: For many years back in the 1970's, I was a union projectionist (Local 640IATSE) at a big old UA Theater in Farmingdale NY. I'd always work the holidays, becuase you got big bux for shifts on those days. I was in my early 20's and still living at home after several years in the Army. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, my mom would make up a big platter of food and send it over to the theater with a couple of my cousins, who would bring it up to me in the booth and then they'd stick around and watch a free show from the balcony. The theater was about a 20min drive from my house so I'd wrap the food well with tin foil and then re-heat it by placing it in the carbon arc lamphouse for 1 reel. It one of those huge old Ashcraft lamps, so there was plenty of room. You could also cook a TV dinner in there, as long as it wasn't frozen solid, in about 2reels. You just had to make sure the food was wrapped well with foil to keep the carbon dust out; and you had to position the tray carefully and use a fresh carbon trim so that it didn't get jammed in feed mechanism. In speaking with fellow operators over the years, I've found out that "cooking with carbon" was not an uncommon practice for those of us 'stuck' working long weekend shifts. (Remember, this was before microwave ovens were a cheap and common commoditiy.) You also had to make sure you wiped down the reflectors when they cooled down to get rid of any possible grease or other deposits left by the food. I tried, but never did successfully figure out a way to make a grilled cheese sandwich in there...... [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-22-2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm... leads me to wonder if you could cook a whole turkey in a Jet Arc? There is certainly room for at least a 15 pounder.... I wonder what size trim it would take? I can just see the instructions on the Turkey wrapper... cook for full duration of "Oklahoma" or "West Side Story". Caution! Turkey will be over cooked if left in for Directors cut of "Lawrence Of Arabia", use edited version only and be sure pop up thermometer is well away fomr the positive carbon holder...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-22-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..lol, I used to warm up Hot chocolate in an Ashcraft, and cook steaks in a Cretor's President... - Monte

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2007 03:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my only holiday off this year.
I bet there are bunches of people at the theatre waiting for it to open, gnawing at the door handles, scaring the staff inside...the patrons wanting to see new holiday fare like The Mist, and the cerebrial vomit known as Enchanted.
I'll get my turn with this tomorrow night. Black Friday. Yay.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2007 04:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cerebrial vomit...I have a new favorite term to describe movies with! [Big Grin]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2007 05:06 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
...and cook steaks in a Cretor's President.
Hahahaha!...hey, Monte: I'd forgotten about that trick. I once came down from the booth at one theater I worked at to find one our young staff members, who just happened to be Chinese, using a Cretors 'Merchant' as a wok to cook up a kettle full of stir-fry vegetables & fried rice for himself & the staff. He gave me a plate-full and it was darn good too!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-22-2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, one theatre that I worked at that had this President, the staff wanted a late night party/sneak but wanted ribeye steaks to go along with it since there was a large grocery store to get the steaks at, which was just down the walkway of this plaza that we were located in.

Some just couldn't get electric skillet idea going and I though of the kettle idea since it was, in actuality, an electric skillet, just tons hotter and bigger.

I took the agitator out, used the popcorn oil as the cooking grease and just controlled the heat by controlling the kettle heat switch on and off at needed times. Added seasoning to whomever wanted what, and I have to admit - best bunch of steaks that I ever fried up and was greatly complimented on it as well.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-22-2007 09:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I can just see the instructions on the Turkey wrapper... cook for full duration of "Oklahoma"
1) Place turkey in lamphouse.
2) Cook at 150 amps for three reels, basting at every changeover.
3) Rotate turkey 180 deg.
4) Cook at 150 amps for an additional three reels.
5) Test for doneness. Continue to cook until meat is tenter and skin turns golden brown.
6) Tent with aluminum foil and let stand fur duration of credits.
7) Serve.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: