Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » DV Cam recommendations. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DV Cam recommendations.
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-18-2007 06:21 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, DV pros: I want to get my son a good DV cam for Christmas this year. Preferrably, something that records to an on-board drive, from which he can just plug into a USB port to get the video into his computer for editing. I'd like something of semi-professional quality, in the $600-$800 range if possible.

My son's 12, and fairly sophisticated regarding production techniques (like blue and green screen composites, and digital fx), so I'd like to get him something that he'll find useful. Something he could make a film festival entry with.

Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2007 07:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't your son also sport that "Tim" style hairdoo [Wink] [Eek!] ?

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-18-2007 09:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully not. [Wink]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 08:30 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of the Sony ones would be good. DONT go for hard drive as they are very compressed and if you are on a mac, you cant edit the damn stuff. go for mini dv. its tapes, yes, but ive been using a Sony TRV900 minidv tape camera for years. tough as a tank, broadcast quality. small enough for one hand. you can get them quite easily cos they were A BIG sellout for sony.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-19-2007 10:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my 2¢

For affordable digital video cameras, I prefer the ones that are MiniDV tape-based due to the severe video compression you get with the DVD and hard disc based consumer cameras. Any reasonably new computer won't have any trouble capturing MiniDV footage via a Firewire cable.

I would also recommend a camera with 3 CCD chips. 3 chip video cameras capture color much more accurately than any single chip camera. Panasonic has a couple 3 chip models in the $600-$800 price range. Some other companies may have 3CCD models in that price range as well.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 11:38 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my trv being one of them. minidv, full 576lines, 3ccd, firewire interface, line in, line out, s-video, composite connections. hotshoe adapter ontop for directional mics/flashlights. huge 3.5" screen on the side. stereo microphones with built in baffles. ..

infact i learnt recently my model was used by the BBC for alot of wildlife filming. didnt believe it til i saw it on tv a few years back!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-19-2007 11:55 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, guys. Re: the mini DV tapes & Firewire combo... does the computer see that as a hard drive? Or, do you have to have a capture card, too?

Thanks again for the tips, I'm a rank amateur in this line.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 12:28 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on the mac - it will just see it no problem. even asks you if you want to import - just click Import!

on the pc - just the same as far as I know. whatever movie editing software you have (microsoft movie maker?) should see it when you open the application, thus allowing you to just play it straight into the computer.

it wont be seen as a hard drive. tapes are tapes. you still have to play it to see it. its not solid state. [Smile]

best format though.. in my opinion. all these new HD cameras have a long way to go!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-19-2007 02:01 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have PCs... my son has Windows Vista.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 02:05 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
should have everything at your disposal then. and from what you say hes already a bit of a whizz at editing, so does he have software suitable for it? or can his school provide?

good luck with it. im here if you need any specific product advice. cant help ALOT with the PC and vista, but please feel free to ask.

PB

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-19-2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a video camera is connected to a computer via Firewire it can record MiniDV video to that computer's hard disc in a somewhat similar fashion to how a DVR works. Better quality "NLE" video editing software will give you more options on capturing video from a MiniDV tape.

Modern computers don't require a dedicated capture card to record standard resolution video unless you are recording video from an analog source. A Firewire connection on a WinXP-based PC or Mac running OSX will run fine. Older operating systems may be subject to a 4GB maximum file size limit -which would stop MiniDV capture at around the 16 minute mark. No such limits with newer computers.

One thing I do recommend adding to a computer is a 2nd physical hard disc drive. You don't want to capture lots of DV footage to your computer's boot hard disc.

HD-based video (720p, 1080i, 1080p) may require a special accelerator card, such as the Aja Xena|HS and even a RAID-based hard disc setup to keep from dropping frames.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-19-2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pffft. HD-based video in consumer cameras these days runs at the same bitrate as MiniDV... or very close to it. It really is quite pathetic. I vote for MPEG (in any flavor) to go away forever as an acquisition format. I prefer my frames individualized.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-19-2007 08:56 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I was waiting for you to weigh-in on this. [Smile] Do you have any suggestions for a camera - and for easily getting the video into the computer? The HD cams really sound promising at this point - Panasonic has a 3-chip model for around $750 that'll do 24P at 1920 x 1080 - but it only records to some kind of RAM card. I guess I will go see what the video looks like from some of these cams.

Thanks again, everyone!

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 11-20-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might help: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

Sometimes I go to Youtube to see test videos of camcorders, you can usually find about any current models on there. Very compressed but its basically just to give you a little taste of what to sort of expect.

cnet.com also does some video reviews of some current camcorders as well.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-20-2007 12:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Panasonic camcorder probably records in some MPEG variant. The Panasonic DVX-100A should be cheap by now. It has 24p but don't turn on the lights when you're using it because it has a low dynamic range on the video and it doesn't take much to blow out the picture. It is SD. Maybe also try the Canon GL2, I don't think it has 24p, though. Again, I am not fond of the HD formats so far. The one you speak of probably only captures 1440x540 60 times per second. No consumer camera can yet capture the full 1920x1080.

Try not to trust internet videos as they are compressed all to hell, conformed to 1 strict framerate (Youtube does not play 24fps video at 24fps) and is often resized. You need to download native video from the camera itself if possible. Stills can be helpful as well.

So far the Canon XL2 is the best camera I've used, better than the Canon XLH1 or whatever it is.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: