Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Flat panel monitor problems

Author Topic: Flat panel monitor problems
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dell computer here. The flat-panel monitor on it just died. The thing will come on for maybe one second and then it goes dark. If you turn it off and on again, it will light up for a second and then go off again. It's not making any sounds or anything - not acting strange in any other way. Another monitor works fine on the same computer.

Anyone seen anything like this and is there a fix, or is it new-monitor time?

The irritating thing is this machine is only 3 years old and the extended warranty expired maybe 3 weeks ago. [Mad]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-15-2007 12:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call Dell and they might still provide warranty service. They are generally good about this.

Does your monitor use an external power supply? If so, see if you can borrow a similar power supply from another monitor of the same type and see if you still have the issues.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 12:25 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just took delivery of a Dell PC with LCD monitor and the LCD backlight went dim after 20 minutes of use . . . . . . of course since it was considered DOA they replaced it, no help in your situation.

Depending on the size/quality of the monitor it may be cheaper to replace and upgrade than repair - i.e. go with a new widescreen 22".

If the issue is the backlight you might be able to find a place that will replace it for a reasonable price (some of the POS LCD screen repairs I've had done by a laptop service company were very reasonable).

Maybe Dell will let you pay for a warranty extension (before you bring up the bad monitor) . . . . . . . they may even have a flat rate repair/exchange for out of warranty items.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2007 12:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about extending the warranty before it expired but the machine has been working fine and I figured the cost of the warranty itself might be more than any repairs we might have to make. When we first bought the warranty it was $189 for a two-year extension, so it'd probably be at least that or more to keep it up, especially since it's now expired... I might call and find out. Or just hit Costco for a new monitor.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-15-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have no luck with Dell, I have a 17" Dell and 2-19" Viewsonics left over from an upgrade that I need to get rid of. Email me.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-15-2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now maybe, this may be a bit off topic, but it has it's similarities: With this situation that Mike has, is it gonna be a similar situation with folks who buys LCD and Plasma TV's - spend googles of money for one only to have it go kaput three years later and cost a fortune to fix? Or, are they just stuck with tossing it away and get another one? Another sage in the "throwaway" society?

Can't justfiy spending that kind of money for one only to have it go kaput in a much shorter time than would a good ol' CRT type. But, I can see the impending doom of owning such a device.

-Monte

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 04:59 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking for a cheap replacement for my daughter's old machine. Look on Ebay. You'll be amazed at the number of people trying to sell broken monitors. In my case, I'll scour the "to good to waste" place at the county landfill for a CRT and then sell the computer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
State of Utah Surplus Divisioon has some decent 15" H-P LCD monitors for 50 bucks. I;'ve never had one die on me yet but I have had the lamps in them get weak.

Mark

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 08:13 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Now maybe, this may be a bit off topic, but it has it's similarities: With this situation that Mike has, is it gonna be a similar situation with folks who buys LCD and Plasma TV's - spend googles of money for one only to have it go kaput three years later and cost a fortune to fix? Or, are they just stuck with tossing it away and get another one? Another sage in the "throwaway" society?
Yup Monte, This worries me too. Just replaced my ageing 12 year old CRT with a new 32" LCD. My CRT was perfectly functioning, now what's the chances of my LCD lasting even a quarter as long? Not much I would say. Like you say, if it breaks after three years, I'd probably throw it and buy a new one. Wonder how much it will cost then!

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, have you tried uplugging the monitor from power, leave it unplugged for say 15 minutes, then try again? I've got an LCD touch screen that will do the same as your problem once in a while, and power cycling always fixes it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-16-2007 02:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried unplugging it but haven't left it off for more than a minute, will try that.

Adam - thanks for the offer but I have another monitor here that will fill in. Not as big, but that's OK.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: