Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » California On Fire - 2007 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: California On Fire - 2007
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-23-2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief, you guys have some serious problems out there! I hope everyone stays safe.

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 10:24 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not good out here. The air quality currently, is unacceptable. I just hope things will get better soon. It's a day by day situation right now.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fires in the west (my aunt in San Diego was told to evacuate yesterday), drought in the southeast, and we just got a surprise 2" of rain dumped on us this morning in central Ohio. (I wish I could bottle it up and send it where it is really needed!)

What I found very scary was an article in the NY Times Magazine section this weekend on the water problems in the west. They point out how Lake Mead is FAR below normal and how this will affect the entire southwestern US.

Please take care in Southern CA...looks like this could be a LONG winter season for all of us.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-23-2007 10:55 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to seriously change how we deal with forest fires.

There's been a direct correlation between us completely squelching every fire every time with an increase in the number of fires and their severity.

We used to not go out and try to absolutely demolish all the fires and we had less of them and each wasn't nearly as bad. And if people think fires are always bad and not a normal thing, why do some trees evolve where they only reproduce... by having their cones explode from a fire's heat thereby launching seeds around?

Hope things get better for you guys.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 11:34 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, any change in how wildfires are dealt with is not going to be of much use in the conditions causing the current San Diego fires to to spread like crazy: serious drought and strong Santa Ana winds. The authorities can summon every fire battalionwithin fifty miles to help fight the inferno and it'll still be like holding back a tidal wave with a five-gallon bucket.

Rant aside, things are safe where I am. Just some smoky air, that's all.

Here's a few links to check on the status of these fires:
CAL FIRE
News 8 - KFMB-TV
SignOnSanDiego (San Diego Union-Tribune)
San Diego County Wildfires 2007 blog (SD Union-Tribune)

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where in San Diego is the fire? I ask because we were there on Friday in the old town and then we went down to Misson Beach and left for home on the 8 East. I dont know if that's out of the area of the fire but I'm glad we left on Friday and not Saturday so we didn't get caught up in the traffic.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 07:34 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multiple locations around San Diego County, Mike (Google Maps link). The biggest fire is the Witch Creek fire, extending from Santa Ysabel in the east to Rancho Santa Fe to the west. The Harris fire, the next largest, extends from Portrero near the Mexican border northwest. The North County town of Fallbrook is being threatened by the Rice Canyon fire.

Most of San Diego city proper including Mission Beach and surrounding communities are safe but the air around here is understandably smoky. The greatest impact is in the North County, 10-15 miles north of I-8, and near the border. Incidentally, I-8 is closed from Alpine to Descanso due to the proximity to the Witch Creek blaze.

All told, this firestorm has overshadowed the Cedar fire of 2003. FWIW, classes have been cancelled in virtually every school and college, public and private alike, for the remainder of the week. What a mess. [Frown]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-23-2007 09:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jon Miller
IMHO, any change in how wildfires are dealt with is not going to be of much use in the conditions causing the current San Diego fires to to spread like crazy
I was more referring to changing the overall way we deal with fires. Any change to what I was suggesting would take years to see the "fruits" of it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-23-2007 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd sure like to know where those Evergreen Air 747 fire tankers are parked right about now!

Mark

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 09:38 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anything about Evergreen's 747s being used here but I have seen news footage of a DC-10 tanker in red and white trim making an incredibly long dump of retardant in one of the burn areas. Very impressive!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-23-2007 09:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be difficult for the rest of the country to appreciate just how, uh, "insidious" those Santa Ana winds are in SoCal. The conditions are hot and dry with screaming winds blowing in the opposite direction from normal and they occur at the worst possible time of year as far as fanning the flames. Everyone who lives in hilly areas of SoCal knows the risk, and this year a whole lot of people have been hit with their worst nightmare.

Am I imagining things or does Ahnuld, for whom English is a second language, express himself much more articulately and coherently in a disaster situation like this than, oh, say, um, well, never mind. [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2007 01:36 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling these fires are going to be stopped when nature wants them to stop. This is an "urban version" of what happened in Yellowstone Nat'l Park in 1988. Fires got out of hand, and the only thing that saved the day was September snowstorms.

Good luck, Californians...plenty of well wishes coming your way from Montana.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-24-2007 09:40 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's no denying that when you don't clear away dead trees or underbrush for decades because you're afraid you might displace some wildlife you're left with much more fuel for fires. I wonder how many spotted owls have lost their homes or burned to death because of some misguided policies. [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2007 10:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to start an off-topic argument here, but that's why I said the California situation is an "urban" version of what happened in Yellowstone. Since the national park is kept as a natural area there is no reason to clear underbrush and such. Fires are a part of life for a forest and are necessary for it to sustain. In fact if you drive through Yellowstone today, the areas that burned in '88 look quite nice and healthy. The "misguided policy" was in effect decades ago when people squelched all fires.

The only difference is the fuel. In California the fuel (at least in the cities) is man-made. But my point was that nature will control the fire, no matter where the fuel comes from.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-24-2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And my point is that we have a responsibility to control the fuel. Since you mentioned Yellowstone, you probably know that even they have adopted a prescribed burn policy to prevent fuel building up to the point where fires would burn uncontrollably.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: