Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My dog died

Author Topic: My dog died
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 01:49 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last few days have been very emotional for me.

I'm at school in Miami.

At about 1:30 Saturday afternoon, my mom called.

She asks where I am.
I say, "At the dorms."
She says, "I'm not really sure how to tell you this."

I know it can't be good news. I sit down.

After a long pause, she finally comes back. "Tut died."

She goes on to tell me that Friday night he was having trouble breathing, they took him to the vet where he was diagnosed with pneumonia. They left him overnight, expecting to get a call from the vet at shift change (8:00) Saturday morning.

The call came at around 7:00. Tut had taken a turn for the worse. His heart was failing. My family drove to the vet as fast as possible, but by the time they got there Tut was gone.

The x-rays showed dark spots in his lungs, which may have been cancer.

Strangely enough I had a dream about my dog Friday night: I was returning home, and Tut was there to great me. I remember feeling like I would never see him again. I guess it was a way of saying goodbye.

We cried on the phone for a while, then hung up. My dad called later to see how I was doing.

In some ways it's good that he went this way. We never had to think about having him put to sleep, and he didn't have to endure long suffering.

I'll miss him for a while. He was a good companion. He didn't necessarily enjoy being cuddled, but he tolerated it because he knew it was important to us. He could tell when we were sad, and offer comfort. He could tell when we were happy, and quietly rejoice for us.

I made a short tribute video. Click here to watch.

Sunday I spent most of the day at the dorms, finding friends on facebook. That helped me feel better.

Dog owners: give your pet some extra attention this week.

|  IP: Logged

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 04:31 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry John. Pets really do become part of the family. Ray.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 05:17 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences to you. The video tribute was very sweet. The last part where tut turns and walks away really got to me. Take care.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-23-2007 10:27 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got to me too. Some of my best memories are of the dogs of my youth and the cats of my adulthood. These guys were pals who gave so much more than they got, and they were just being dogs and cats! I think one of the best things humans do is their ability to make such strong relationships with animals other than humans.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-23-2007 11:55 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences to you on your families loss.

Bill

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-23-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear this, John.

Best to you.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-23-2007 01:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences for the loss of your dog, John. How old was Tut?

When I was a kid, our family had a pair of Bassett Hounds. We got the first one when I was 8 years old. A little over a year later we bred him with another Bassett Hound and got the pick of the litter. The two dogs lived to be 14 and 15 years old. They died within a few months of each other when I was in college. That was pretty hard to take. I felt like the last parts of my childhood died with those dogs. My mother took it especially hard. Those pets were beloved family members. Sure, they weren't people, but it really hurt bad when they passed away.

I worry about my mother now regarding her three old cats. She got them not long after we lost those dogs. Now they're 17 years old and don't look like they'll be around much longer.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2007 03:17 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your support and condolences.

Tut was 13 years old. Which actually puts his birthdate in 1994, not '93 as stated in the video.

Yesterday I was shopping at Target, I saw a copy of "Milo & Otis" on the shelf, I nearly broke down right there in the store.

Then last night I was watching "Who's Line..." when an ad for the ASPCA came on, with video of abused and neglected dogs and cats. I lost it. No one else saw, but I was bawling like a little child.

Pets do become part of the family.

I called my mom yesterday. She told me about Tut's cremation (the family actually took his remains to Pennsauken to be cremated on Saturday). His ashes are in a cedar box now with a little plaque on top that says "Tut."

Nothing certain here, but we might be getting a kitten. Apparently a pregnant stray has been hanging around the front porch, my mom has been feeding her. So, that could help ease the pain. I suggested naming one of the kittens Ankhe.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-24-2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pennsauken Township... birthplace of the drive-in theatre.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2007 10:01 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John:

I feel for ya man. I know how you feel. I'm dealing with the uncertainties of a dangerous ailment IMHA or AIHA as it is also known. My little Bella has been struggling with this for almost a month now. Her blood counts are still not where they *should* be, but they seem to be stabilizing, which is good.

Pets are a very real part of your life. Kia and Bella give me true and unconditional love which is far more than I can say for damn near every person I know, including family.

Again, my hearts out to ya man. I wish you a quick bounce back..

Sounds like Tut was well cared for for a long time.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2007 11:03 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, sorry to hear about Tut, pets are very hard to lose.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2007 06:05 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's so sad !
The only sure thing in life - is that it'll come to an end, but when it's our belowed pets, we just won't accept it...
Sorry about Tut. -Fine stuff You made on YouTube.

Sofus - my 4th St. Bernhard - died three years ago now, I this time did not get another dog, even if it was tough. Sofus died en his sleep - on his post - in the projection booth. It was some job to get those 180 pounds out next morning...
Luckily, every dog in our village comes to visit us - and they all know where to find the goodies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: