Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Need info on Oklahoma areas

Author Topic: Need info on Oklahoma areas
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-22-2007 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks. I know there are some here from the great state of Oklahoma. My cousin and her family are considering a move there soon so her husband can pursue a business opportunity. No one they know knows anything about Oklahoma, so we're looking for some insights into different areas where they should and should not be looking for housing. They are religious folks from a small town on the Eastern shore of Maryland. They have two young girls, one teen and one pre-teen, and are wondering about which school districts are better than others, which areas have higher crime rates than others, etc. The new job is located in Tulsa, so they're particularly curious about areas around Tulsa. I realize this is a broad kind of question, but if anyone has any experienced insight they can share on any of these topics, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks much.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-22-2007 07:26 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oral Roberts is there. How's that for religious? That's a start. Good people. Louis

Daniel Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2007 09:22 PM      Profile for Daniel Wright   Email Daniel Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am from Okmulgee, The town has a lot of nice churches. It also has a lovely old movie theatre. Crime and school wise it has a bad reputation. Which honestly is over blown. Real estate is cheap there. Most people send their kids to some of the neighboring school districts. You could find a house for under 100k with no problem. The commute is only about 40 miles each way as well.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-23-2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tulsa, overall, is a pretty decent city. Lots of stuff happening there with regard to Oklahoma's centennial.

Tulsa is not my favorite place in Oklahoma. I think certain areas near Oklahoma City and OKC itself are undergoing some major improvement and growth. Downtown Oklahoma City is getting transformed. I-40 is being re-routed to a completely new alignment. Lots of development will be happening along the river, including the world's largest Native American history museum. That area is not bad to visit now, but will be really wonderful in just a few years.

Much of Tulsa's southern side (in the vicinity of the Creek Turnpike) has good housing and peaceful neighborhoods. Tulsa has some really good public school districts. Jenks and Tulsa Union win the state championships in high school football frequently and some of that is due to the resources in their school districts.

Broken Arrow is also a pretty decent small city on Tulsa's SE side (also bordered by the Creek Turnpike).

Tulsa is the center of the evangelical community in the state. Much of Oklahoma is very religious, but none of it compares to the organizational structure in Tulsa.

Tulsa also has some pretty decent culture and entertainment outlets there. The night life is good.

Tulsa is not far away from some pretty beautiful scenery, major vacation resorts and good fishing/boating areas.

Downsides to Tulsa?

Traffic is ridiculous in certain areas. South Memorial Road is probably the worst for city driving in the state. So much business borders that road and it makes traffic levels crazy. State Farm Insurance has rated a couple intersections along Memorial in the top 10 for most dangerous in the nation.

Avoid certain areas of Tulsa's inner city. The downtown itself is not all that bad (they have an excellent blue grass festival there every year), but watch out in nearby neighborhoods. Tulsa has been struggling with a nasty rise in crime rate, and the murder rate as been especially troubling. Generally, most places south of I-44 are pretty safe. You can see the good versus bad areas of Tulsa fairly clear in Google Earth.

As Daniel said, you have to be a bit careful if locating to smaller towns outside of the city, like Olkmulgee. The crime problem mentioned mostly revolves around drugs. This is no different from Lawton (where I live) and towns around it. Young people are just more likely to gravitate to trouble if they don't have much to do.

Lawton itself is trying to prepare for a boost of up to 25,000 new residents due to major expansion of Fort Sill. "BRAC" is shutting down a lot of military installations and relocating many missions to the most important posts, such as Fort Sill. Hopefully the Lawton area can capitalize on that opportunity to improve quality of life in the area and build up the tourism industry of historic Fort Sill and the Wichita Mountains.

The economy in Oklahoma is pretty good. We didn't see the insane run up in real estate prices that took place on the coasts. So there hasn't been a real estate bust either. The high price of oil is helping Oklahoma. Cushing, OK (45 miles west of Tulsa) is oil pipeline crossroads of the world and has a massive oil storage facility whose levels are closely monitored by world oil markets.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-23-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likely Tulsa's murder numbers like most cities, if you take out the unlawful drug related murders the quantity and rate would be very low.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-24-2007 12:12 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem with Tulsa is a rise in street gang crime. Sure, some of that is drug related. However, the murders (and lots more severe beatings, shootings, stabbings and other near murders) are usually battles over turf.

Even the small city in which I live (Lawton) has seen a serious increase in murder rate -although the last few months have been relatively quiet. Well, there was one incident today in Lawton. A family came home to find a burglar in their house. The homeowner had a pistol and wound up holding the burglar on his lawn at gunpoint, also while talking to 911 on his cellphone. Before the cops arrived, the burglar jumped up. The homeowner fired, killing the burglar. The police are pretty much calling this one self defense, so it may not count on Lawton's murder rate.

One town that's really bad with street gangs in Oklahoma is Altus. It's estimated Altus and the Jackson County area has the highest number of illegal immigrants in Oklahoma (and has held that dubious title for quite a few years now). Altus is barely a third the size of Lawton, but has a much longer established street gang problem.

Daniel Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2007 07:48 AM      Profile for Daniel Wright   Email Daniel Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The east side of Tulsa is getting rough. The area around the old Eastland Mall-East Gate Metroplex has a large number of illegal immigrants. My sister lived out there for a while. Their house got broke into once when they were not home.

Traffic is quite bad in Tulsa around the 71st area. They put a new walmart in out there. It was bad enough at rush hour before they did.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-24-2007 11:01 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVED Oklahoma. I used to live in Edmond, north of OKC, but I serviced theatres all over the state, including Tulsa. Broken Arrow always seemed nice. I used to date a girl from there, and she lived in a very nice residential area. I never saw the bad areas of that town, if any.

Roger Summars
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2007 12:04 PM      Profile for Roger Summars   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Summars       Edit/Delete Post 
Those of us who live in the rural areas can't imaging living in a place like Lawton or Altus. On the other hand, we sometimes wish we lived a little bit closer to Wal Mart.

Buffalo... 238 miles west of Tulsa... 204 miles north of Lawton.... 35 miles from Wal Mart

Rural areas don't have a lot of job opportunities... I guess you go where the money is

Roger

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-24-2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the insight, folks. I'll be sending them over to keep an eye on this thread.

[Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tulsa is not far away from some pretty beautiful scenery,
I've never been to Oklahoma so I just Googled "scenic Oklahoma" out of curiosity on what it looks like. I think lots of people have a view that it's all flatlands, but I was surprised by the amount of great scenery there. [thumbsup]

Oklahoma photography

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-24-2007 06:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oklahoma is definitely under-rated for its level of natural scenery.

The link to Michael Hardeman's photography website shows the cover of his "coffee table book," Oklahoma, Wonder & Light. The cover photograph was taken just outside of Lawton in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Specifically, it's an image taken along the "Kite Trail" between Lost Lake and The 40 Foot Hole. Lots of people drive to the top of Mount Scott, hike up Saddle Mountain and walk along countless numbers of trails to see great sights and wildlife. Be careful of Bison and wild, original bloodline Texas Longhorns. There's a lot of important, frontier history in the Wichitas and historic Fort Sill.

The Oklahoma Centennial Commission produced a great music video from Vince Gill's "Oklahoma Rising" song. It features a lot of sweeping aerial footage showing the wide variety of terrain found across the state. The music video isn't all pretty images either. It shows footage of the dust bowl, the May 3, 1999 tornado, the Murrah Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City and the thoughtful memorial which replaced it. Overall the video portrays Oklahoma as a beautiful state with wide cultural diversity and a difficult history that challenged its residents.

There's another kind of scenery Oklahoma has in somewhat good supply: beautiful women. In a recent poll Maxim Magazine rated Oklahoma City in the top 10 for cities where it's great to be a single guy. Lots of pretty ladies in Tulsa too. The current and previous Miss America pageant winners are from Oklahoma (the current one, Lauren Nelson, is from Lawton). Lawton itself isn't a great place to be single. Too many men. It's a freaking "sausage festival."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-24-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was to Oklahoma three times and through it alot of times going other places. I know several people that live there and a family that used to and they all say its a good place to be from. My first trip there I sweated off 12 pounds loading the back end of a pickup truck!

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2007 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby: There are about a billion pretty ladies in every state. This becomes more obvious after you are married. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: