Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Spielberg says he wants to stick with film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Spielberg says he wants to stick with film
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2007 09:54 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from imdb.com on Oct. 10:

Unlike Digital-Loving Lucas, Spielberg Sticks to Film

Unlike his producing cohort George Lucas, Steven Spielberg has rejected digital photography for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In an interview with the website CHUD.com, Spielberg said that he intends to "be the last guy in Hollywood shooting live action on film, despite the arguments Lucas makes" for digital production. Spielberg also reportedly said that while there may be some digital effects used in the film, he intends to go "as old school as he can." Appearing to violate his own non-disclosure policy, Spielberg also confirmed much Internet gossip that the villains in the new movie will be Russian Communists, not German Nazis.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-15-2007 10:09 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too surprising to hear. Those comments are consistent with what Spielberg has said in the past regarding film photography.

It would have been really screwed up for this Indiana Jones installment to be shot with digital video cameras. The visual continuity with the three previous films would be severed (the first three were anamorphic 35mm).

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well he's shooting on film which is good, but is he shooting in scope or is it going to be Super 35, and are we going to see a 2k DI output?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2007 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the first two Indy's were scope, it follows that the new one should be, too. I hope.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-15-2007 02:19 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first THREE were produced when there was no 2K DI. I hope it's shot anamorphic with no 2K DI. We'll see.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, it must be a Monday. I knew there were 3 previous movies...but yeah, they're all in scope so I would think Spielberg would want to keep it consistent no matter what new doo-dads have come along since the last one.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2007 02:50 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite quote from Spielberg, "If it was good enough for everyone before me...then its good enough for me!" On shoting on film and not digital.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-15-2007 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's ben saying that he'll be the last guy for years now. It'll be interesting to see how long that actually lasts...

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-15-2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Mike. That was too easy.

[beer]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2007 08:18 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well I can remember when Speilberg also said that Raiders of the Lost Ark would NEVER be released on home video. Becauase it simply can't be experienced properly. [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-15-2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone thinking Spielberg is going to shoot this new Indiana Jones movie on video is just fooling themselves.

The vast majority of all major movie productions are still shot on film. That's because those glorified HD video cameras still suck ass when compared to analog 35mm film cameras. Digital is not always perfect, and it is very far from so when it comes to capturing moving imagery. Analog film just from sheer quality standards is still very far superior. Sharper image, no pixel smearing, more refined color quality. Just plain better.

Video is only quicker. That's it. Not better.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
I can remember when Speilberg also said that Raiders of the Lost Ark would NEVER be released on home video.
And I remember when Disney said the same thing about their classic animated movies. (I still have a Boxoffice around here somewhere with that article in it.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-15-2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..He shoots in Anamorphic 35mm so they can blow it up for 70mm and the IMAX DMR releases.

I saw the previous three in 70mm, and the first one (saw them at the Villa in SLC..) had the best picture being that it was still being projected through Century "JJ's" and Ashcraft Super Corelights.

The other two had a very mediocre presentations due to the switch to xenon and platter operation - just dark corners and some intolerable flicker at times.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-16-2007 07:43 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad Spielberg wants to use film, but it must be noted that he is such a 'big name' that if he wanted to shoot in 3-strip Cinerama, it would happen.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-16-2007 01:36 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great idea! Think of it: IMAX becomes a small commercial format. Also: consider Cinerama 3D. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: