Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Vista update patch could b****r your PC

Author Topic: Vista update patch could b****r your PC
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-10-2007 01:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just come across the following on another forum I read:

quote:
If you have Vista and have not yet been prompted to download an update numbered KB941649 then please think twice before you do. I downloaded it last night,it prompted a reboot, which naturally I accepted, and..hey presto...my computer would not reboot! It hangs on a driver called crcdisk.sys. Cannot even get it into safe mode. Checking out the forums for inspiration I have discovered a lot of other suckers are now having the same problem.
I've now changed my updates setting to 'ask me before downloading and installing anything', and will tell it to ignore this one. Just thought the heads-up could be useful.

It occurred to me that this might be a hoax - someone who is spreading malware wanting to prevent people from installing a patch that will stop it. But a brief Google search threw up several forums where this has been reported, and so I think there's probably something in it.

A workaround if you do want to try the patch appears to be:

1. Create a system restore point immediately before applying the patch. This is important, because if you don't you won't be able to roll back the installation using the Vista installation DVD.

2. Reboot, then apply the patch.

3. Reboot as requested. If Vista restarts OK it seems you're fine; if not, then boot the PC using the installation DVD and use the 'repair Vista' facility to roll back to the system restore point you created immediately before installing the patch. Vista should then restart OK.

If you're really paranoid, create an entire system image (using Norton Ghost or Acronis, for example), before running the patch, and restore that if it goes wrong.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2007 01:11 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God for XP.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2007 07:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean thank god for Linux.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2007 11:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, thank God for Mac OS X...now on my lap and in my pocket! [Wink]

AJG

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-10-2007 11:31 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

That really should be thank God for FreeBSD, since OSX is just it plus a different gui.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2007 11:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm relatively thankful for any OS that isn't Windows nowadays. I just can't go back to it, and using OS X makes me realize how much more Windows could be. So if OS X is BSD, where does Unix fit in?

AJG

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-11-2007 12:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, XPPro.SP2 for us novice PC users. I did try the eval version of VISTA - pretty and nifty, but what's the advantage?

But true, LINUX is quite the OS to play with ...

..anyone ever played with Lindows (now called Linspire since Microsoft bought the trademark from Lindows in a private settlement due to fear of losing the "windows" name to the court)?

-Monte

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2007 01:55 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to install some stupid Cumulative Security Update for Vista, but I keep getting Error 80070017. Anyone else ever run into this? If so, how did you fix it.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2007 09:50 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, since when does Vista require a patch to bugger up a system. I thought it had that functionality straight out of the box? [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-17-2007 01:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison: usually when that happens the reason is that Windows Update has incorrectly determined that the update is relevant to your machine when it isn't. So when you install it, it's trying to patch software or a hardware driver which isn't on your machine, and the error message is saying in effect that it can't find it.

Windows Update did want to install the suspect patch on my home PC, so I imaged the system volume first before going ahead. The patch installed and the computer rebooted without any problem, so I guess the conflict must have been with some specific hardware which I don't have. Since building the machine, however, I've discovered a cheap source of XP x64 licences, and so intend to install that as a dual-boot with Vista when I get a few spare hours (my processor is a 64-bit one). It might not work with some 32-bit applications, but should do with most and will give me a plan B in the case of unforeseen Vista bugs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: