Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Whats In Your Dumpster? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whats In Your Dumpster?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I get to work today coming in the back alley way as I normally do. I notice that someone had dropped some extra stuff next to our dumpster... this is not unusual. The only thing this time is they left me a nice gift. Now I'm not normally a dumpster diver nor a pack rat but this was too good to be true... In a box next to the dumpster was an entire case of Jensen JT-16A Microphone transformers. Not only are these the worlds best microphone trannys but there was an entire case of them. A quick search on the Jensen Transformer site led me to the specs and pricing.... $73.32 in case quantity.

Thank You to whoever left these.....!

Whats in your dumpster or what interesting stuff have you found there over the years?

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-07-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Some DJ dumped a couple hundred CDs into one of my dumpsters.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my store switched to a new food preparation system, the entire store was gutted. So I scored a 20 foot fiberglass sign, about 4 tonnes of Stainless steel cabinetry, heating apparatus and electrical cabling/transformers, and advertising trans-lites. All dumped in the back corral, overflowing from dumpsters.

Unfortunately, our logistics officer (Mum), said only the trans-lites could stay. So all that metal went back, with a suggestion to management that maybe it would have scrap value. I'm pretty sure it still went to landfill. [Roll Eyes]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tortured and mutilated body of the last person I caught using a mobile phone in a cinema... [Big Grin]

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 01:17 PM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fire is occasionally found in my theatre's dumpster.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
back in high school, a friend and I, after midnight, would go dumpter hunting behind TV stations for 16mm film and the film that we would get! ... which is now worth very much in collectable value of all that was taken.

These explorations didn't last too long soon afterwards since the stations caught on that their dumpters were being pillaged and would then destroy the film before tossing it out.

But it was fun though ...just something that one wouldn't imagine of doing...

Someone left a complete GATEWAY computer next to our dumpster at the theatre a couple of years back..only 2 yrs old in fully operational condition.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 02:21 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People like to dump their household trash in my dumpster.
This includes all bills in there original form, payroll check stubs, etc (not shredded).
Takes me about 30 seconds to find the name, address, and phone number of the offender. I like to call them at 2am and inform them they have one hour to come get their shit or I call the prosecutor the next morning. Usually works.

For repeat offenders, can we say true dumbass, I load the offending trash bags, drive past their house on the way home, and deposit it all on their front lawn. Oops, it's too bad if the bags happen to split open when I do so. [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 04:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone looking the dumpster out back of the parts store might find some interesting stuff from time to time. Whenever we clean out an area, we find "something" that either nobody can identify, or something no one has wanted for 20 years...it almost always winds up in the dumpster. So far I haven't thrown out anything that I later found out I really needed though!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It pays sometimes to dumpster dive. Almost every single piece of commercial kitchen equipment at my drive-in was sitting in the parking lot next to a roll-off dumpster at a local college to be thrown away. There were several pieces of equipment still in their boxes that were never used, but were now "in the way". My wife worked there and the food service director said, "Come get it if you want.. it all goes in the dumpster on Friday." We scored refrigerated prep tables, triple sinks, work table freezers, 36" grill, 2 deep fryers (one still has a 2 year warranty left on it), steam table, ice dispenser, fryer filters, etc.

Our dumpster at the drive-in gets the occasional household trash from some of the folks in town. I like Brad's idea of taking it back to them! [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-07-2007 05:40 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
For repeat offenders, can we say true dumbass, I load the offending trash bags, drive past their house on the way home, and deposit it all on their front lawn. Oops, it's too bad if the bags happen to split open when I do so.
Brad, while I doubt I'd take all that time and effort, your post cracked me up! Really funny! [thumbsup]

I especially like the part of calling them in the middle of the night! [thumbsup] [beer]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 08:25 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember "Alice's Restaurant?" Louis

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 11:52 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working for the UA theatre at the South Plains Mall we shared a dumpster with B. Dalton Booksellers, and I happily discovered that when they make credit returns to the paperback publishers, they don't return the entire book, just the front covers. They chucked the remainder of the book in the dumpster.
Gave me something to read...

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-08-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good friend built an alarm system complete with fire detection, entry detection and motion/body heat detection for his house and 3 car garage with new in the box parts from the dumpster of the local ADT branch office. The box to install it in took a second dive a couple weeks later.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2007 05:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Remember "Alice's Restaurant?"

"You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant"
"Walk right in, it's around the back, just across the street from the railroad track."

"loaded the microbus with 500 lbs of garbage"

(great Masacree and the 1969 UA movie).

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 10:41 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always take my yard rubbish to our dumpster at work. Our trash pick-up is on Tuesday mornings but I usually fill it up over the weekend. Especially during fall when I rake up an average of 42 bags of leaves. I have to line the bags up beside my garage and take them a few at a time. Otherwise I make it overflow too much. This really makes our warehouse guy mad. [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: