Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ingmar Bergman has passed away

Author Topic: Ingmar Bergman has passed away
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 09:55 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Director Ingmar Bergman passed away early this morning
at the age of 89. He died peacefully at his home on the
island Faro, Sweden.

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 10:39 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad to hear that. He is amongst my favourite directors of all time.

In fact, the first solo projection shift I worked, I showed his film, 'The Virgin Spring'. I believe that this, along with Wild Strawberries, Cries and Whispers, Summer with Monika, The Silence, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, Persona and so many others are perhaps some of the greatest works ever committed to film.

Here's to you Ingmar: you have given the world incredible cinematic gifts and you will always be remembered fondly for it! [Smile]

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2007 09:10 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A true giant of cinema. Bergman and Kurosawa are my favorite directors, and "Wild Strawberries" my choice of the Bergman film with something for everybody, and a well-integrated work of artistic genius. I must have viewed it about 15 times and yet it is always a revelation.

[ 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Gerard S. Cohen ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-31-2007 04:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope the guy with the scythe has been brushing up his chess skills recently - it looks like he's about to get quite a match!

Sorry; couldn't resist.

I'd be lying if I said that Bergman's films ever did much for me - ditto for Dreyer (apart from Vredens Dag, which I thought was a very clever comparison of medieval witch hunts with the Nazi occupation of Denmark), so maybe I'm just not in tune with Scandinavian cinema very much. But it's still sad to see so many giants of the mid-20th century cinema passing away so quickly.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 02:19 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bergman & Antonioni one day apart!!! [Frown]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 05:03 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo: Great one!!! Quite the comment! [Smile]

Leo, you have probably seen most of his stuff but would you say that even Wild Strawberries doesn't really do it for you? I ask because that's usually the movie that not-quite fans still tend to enjoy. That and The Virgin Spring.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2007 06:44 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Run several Bergman films during the early 1960's at the Classic, Hampstead which all did wonderful business. No particular favourite film but they did grow on me, what I did like was always the excellent photography and quality of the b+w prints.

Ingmar Bergman

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: