Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Drew Carey will host "The Price Is Right" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Drew Carey will host "The Price Is Right"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Letterman show last night, Drew Carey announced, "It's a done deal...I'm the new host of 'The Price Is Right.'"

I think this is cool news. Not that I watch TPIR very often, but Carey seems like a good choice to take over the show. Certainly better than Rosie O'Donnell would have been.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-24-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jul23/0,4670,TVPriceCarey,00.html

quote:
NEW YORK — Genial comic Drew Carey was tapped Monday to replace silver-haired legend Bob Barker on the CBS daytime game show "The Price is Right." The deal was set Monday afternoon shortly before a taping of CBS' "Late Show" with David Letterman, where he confirmed it.

"I realize what a big responsibility this is," he said. "It's only a game show, but it's the longest-running game show in American television and I plan to keep it that way."

The selection attracted more attention than usual for a daytime show because of the prospect of replacing Barker, 83. Barker retired after 35 years in the job last month following taping of his 6,586th episode.

The opening attracted widespread interest, including from comic Rosie O'Donnell after she left "The View."

Carey, 49, spent a decade on his own ABC sitcom and also was host of the improvisational game show "Whose Line is It Anyway?"

He will also be host of a new CBS prime-time game show, "The Power of 10," that will air first next month. He told The Associated Press on Monday that CBS officials first contacted him about "The Price is Right" immediately after he completed a pilot of the other game show this spring.

"My agent called me and said `I was talking to CBS casting today' and in my head I was thinking, `Oh, `CSI' guest star?' And he said what would you think about replacing Bob Barker on `The Price is Right?'"

Asked if he found the prospect of replacing such a TV legend daunting, Carey recalled talking to a friend who knows the game show business who told him, "as long as Bob Barker is cool with it, the fans will be cool with it."

"I'm cool with it," Barker said after hearing Carey's remarks.

Barker said he's not familiar enough with Carey's past performances to offer an opinion on his selection. But, he said, "I understand he ad-libs very well and that he has a very nice, friendly way of working, and I think both of those would be helpful to him on 'The Price Is Right.'"

His advice for Carey: "Go out there and do that show the way you think it should be done. Don't imitate me and don't imitate anyone else."

CBS entertainment President Nina Tassler said she was "beyond delighted" to land Carey.

"He is one of the most well-liked personalities working in entertainment, and I have no doubt his humor, charm and enthusiasm will endear him to 'Price is Right' viewers," she said.

While Carey said doesn't know Barker personally, the younger comedian said he was comfortable that his predecessor would be accepting when he took on the job.

The negotiation process was nerve-racking. While he was talking with CBS about the job, Carey said he got a call from another lawyer in Hollywood who told him one of his clients was offered "The Price is Right" job.

He figured CBS had lined up back-ups if the first choice did not come through.

"If I was going after a second baseman, I wouldn't just talk to one second baseman," the Cleveland Indians fan said. "If I were the general manager, I would be talking to a few second basemen."

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-24-2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already covered in this thread. Scroll down.

(Dammit! I can never remember how to link to a particular post!)

EDIT: Good one, Steve! Thanks.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-24-2007 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I generally cheat on that...I do a search for the post I'm looking for. That will generally find the post...then I copy the link that the search engine finds.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-24-2007 05:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always hated Drew Carey and will continue to do so. He is extremely not funny.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-24-2007 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Joe on this one. Carey's just an over paid flat slob! Like you could get me to watch The Price Is Right.... It would be better hosted by Mr. Ed or Bonzo the chimp!

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2007 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really think of ANYone who would be a shoo-in to host it. Bob Barker is such an icon, anybody else is going to just look weird up there unless they totally change the show, which would piss-off the fans. Carey's got his work cut out for him.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-24-2007 09:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Bob Ubanks from "Newlywed Game"would have been better...)..and the folks who commented in this forum also are saying their choices

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2007 09:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naaaah, he's almost as old as Barker!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-24-2007 09:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe yous guys actually watch that crap....

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 02:52 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I have always hated Drew Carey and will continue to do so. He is extremely not funny.
I think he's very funny. Maybe it was just his show and his supporting cast, but I like him. As far as game show hosting? Well, I don't think he's a good choice. I didn't care for Louie Anderson on Family Feud or the Home Improvement guy on Family Feud...or for that matter...I didn't care for Family Feud. Howie Mandel is ok as a host, perhaps he should have tried out? I can't really imagine an OCD like Howie dealing with all the crazy people on that show.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 03:02 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought he was very good at "Who's Line". Compared to Clive Anderson, he came off like an amateur. His intro lines were always the same, and he couldn't help but get in the middle of the "hoe downs", where his lack of talent was obvious.

I hope he finds a way to make this fit. Personally, I'd still rather watch the British "Who's" reruns on BBC-TV.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 10:06 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the surrealism, I think CBS should have brought on the host from The Weakest Link, that british woman, for The Price Is Right.
Seriously, I liked Louie Anderson in Family Feud.
However, if Drew Carey has been hired for the spot...sigh... [Frown]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 10:15 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Cullen is a natural for Price is Right.....ohmygod....he's dead??Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I can't believe yous guys actually watch that crap....
Actually I have never watched TPIR on a regular basis, but since it has been virtually unchanged in the past 35 years, whenever I do catch a glimpse, it's like visiting an old friend.

My wife and I like to watch Jeopardy followed by Wheel of Fortune. The newer game shows like "Deal or No Deal" are nonsensical crap.

Thinking the Drew Carey thing over, I think they should have found an unknown to host TPIR. While I enjoy Drew's humor, he might be too frantic for TPIR. But we'll see....might actually have to watch a few episodes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: