Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pearl & Dean adverts reel this week.

Author Topic: Pearl & Dean adverts reel this week.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody seen the VW thing at the end of the P&D reel this week, replacing the horrible video improvised acting thing that's been running for months. It features a projectionist talking about a film, while behind him is one of the Philips/Kinoton double sided 35/16mm projectors, running a 16mm print. I think he needs to adjust the tension on his feed spool though.

Also, another improvement, the reel is only about seven minutes long this week, it's been getting longer and longer in recent times; sometimes adding just one trailer takes it over twenty minutes.

|  IP: Logged

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 08:06 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ads may be getting longer but just think of the money they make for the cinema [Smile]

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 08:14 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought P&D folded long ago. I only ever see Carlton these days. The ads and trailers are really getting on my nerves lately. For Harry Potter and Die Hard there was 35mins. This was at a Cineworld.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was causing us a real problem last week, he adverts alone were 13 minutes; the trailers about another 7; on Saturday I took one one of them out, bringing it down to three minutes. We ran four features during the week, 'Flushed Away' was about the advertised length, 'Half Nelson' I don't know, because I didn't run it, but 'Amazing Grace' was six minutes longer than advertised, and 'Tell No One' was about eight minutes longer. Combined with the long adverts reel the films just wouldn't fit the schedule. On Friday, before I took the extra trailer out, the 6:50 show didn't come off screen until about nine minutes after the 8:15 show should have started. There's always a tight turn around between the last two shows, and when the films are longer than they're supposed to be, they just don't fit. We had to drop the trailers altogether on many of the shows last week.

In the case of both films where the times were wrong, if you multiply the advertised running times by 25/24 you get very close, within about a minute or so, to the actual running times. I wonder if whoever does our programming is being given the PAL running times for some films, rather than the film ones.

quote: Ray Faultless
The ads and trailers are really getting on my nerves lately. For Harry Potter and Die Hard there was 35mins.
That's ridiculous; I think ten minutes of adverts and five minutes of trailers is reasonable, but no longer.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 09:58 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ray Faultless
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ads and trailers are really getting on my nerves lately. For Harry Potter and Die Hard there was 35mins.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is way too many,
but just having say 5 mins of trailers, too little. For an indi cinemas its a must to have trailers. We have started running art house trailers in with the main films and its had a benifical effect, there are people now coming to arthouse films who would have NEVER even consider watching an arty film, reason for them coming = seeing the trailer on screen.
If you dont like ads and trailers why do you play them ??

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 10:40 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The VW ads are shown at most non big chain cinemas in the UK. After 1 day I dislike the new adverts.

Stakeout Ladies was good in comparison.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 11:32 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Phillips
just having say 5 mins of trailers, too little.
Five minutes is usually enough for two typical trailers, and I think that's enough. We're also running the 'Ultimate Summer of Cinema' thing as well at the moment, but that's in addition to the normal trailers. I think a total of fifteen minutes for all adverts and trailers is reasonable.

quote: Mark Hajducki
After 1 day I dislike the new adverts.

Well, I'd only seen them once when I made the last post; twice now. I'm sure I will be sick of the things when I've been running them for the six months or so that these VW things stay on screen. What the projectionist is saying is pretty dull, but at least the projector provides a bit of interest. The two Barbican cinemas each had a pair of those machines, but I think somebody told me they'd been replaced by something else. The Rio, Dalston also had one, with either a tower or platter, I can't remember which, for the 35mm side. Did they ever make one with a DP75 on one side, so you could run all three gauges on one machine?

quote: William Phillips
The ads may be getting longer but just think of the money they make for the cinema
Well, I hope we're making some money from something, because we're having a terrible day so far. We're on the third show of the day at the moment, and I doubt that we've had more than about twenty people in total. Things always drop off over the Summer, but just last week I was thinking that this year was better than usual. Maybe the last show will do better, the other three have all been mainstream stuff, and most people who want to see them probably did so weeks ago. We've got some things coming up over the next few weeks that I think will do much better.

I actually don't have a clue how much money advertising brings in; I just run them. Is it a fixed amount each week for a certain size of cinema, or per seat sold where adverts are shown. Is it the same each week, or is it per minute of running time that week etc?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-21-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Phillips was the last to post
And to think theatres stopped running cartoons because they said there wasn't enough time. [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-21-2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Places that run ads -- do the ads run longer than the trailers? That seems ass-backwards to me...

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 12:46 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amount a cinema get paid is not fixed, as far as I can remember, it caluculated on a mixture of your previous years admissions, the amount of screenings and the amount of ads shown.I think in there is also the max amount your cinema is willing to show of just ads. The most I have had recently was 19mins of just ads took it to 25 with 4 short trailers, that was for the Da Vinci code.
With the main films with ads, if say we get only 7 or 8 mins I will try and pack out the rolling stock ad package to 20 mins,
With films that dont have the main ads and just the VW idents I generally look at 10 - 12 mins rolling stock package.

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, we have our (Carlton) ads capped at 10 minutes. We're also doing the VW logos (the latest of which are dreadful, definitely preferred the Stakeout ones we showed previously). Usually show 4 trailers, so average 7 mins. Pretty much all shows overrun, due to the fact we're only allowed 15 minutes of advertising time (ads, trailers, sponsor logos, etc). Have had some shows cut into the start time of the next show, due to the running time of the ads etc. combined with our managers' habit of 4 minute turn-arounds with certain shows. [Wink]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The runtime for the programme has probably been pushed up because of the Daily Mail and Ultimate Summer ads. Carlton have been putting an extra couple of minutes on the ad reel for big releases for over a year now. Where trailer reels are centrally planned an extra one is added.

One advantage I can see of a longer programme on some releases is being able to seat people before the lights go down. On sold-out previews we can be in there up to 20mins after the feature has started seating latecomers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: