Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Any famous or infamous lineage?

Author Topic: Any famous or infamous lineage?
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-15-2007 09:21 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My grandparents on my mothers side just finished nearly two years working records and documents of our lineage. We pretty much knew our Italian heritage, but there is also english and french that we knew little of. That is until they finished their research, and it is much more clear and very surprising...

As it turns out, I am a direct descendant of King John of England. This is the same King John of Shakespeares 'King John' and of 'Robin Hood' lore. He would be my Grandfather to the 22nd degree, or something like that. I am still getting the data.

I am also a direct descendant of King Louis the VIII of France. There was a marriage between the royal families down the line to increase the bloodlines and to seal rifts of war.

Thier descendants came to the colonies to help form the Commonwealth of Virginia, and fought in the Revolutionary War for the colonies. Thier descendants came to California in the Mid 1850's.

Apparently I am unable to declare myself as any part of the royal family as our decendents did flip the finger during the revolution and were considered to be no longer in existence. Also apparently as soon as a female propogates to a non royal you lose. So no being named 'sir' or 'lord' anytime soon. Dangit.

The Italian liniage was from Polermo, Sicily, and remained there until 1903 when they came to New York. They moved to Louisiana in Early 1930's, and then California in the mid 1950's. It was then that the families merged to create my current bloodline.

I personally was shocked and had a hard time believing it, but the records are confirmed. It has been documented with the Sons of the American Revolution; all of the men in our line are now eligible for full membership. My brothers and I are currently debating membership.

Once again, just really shocking to learn all of this. Genealogy can be fun. Of course King John was a pretty bad king overall, and it might explain my overall nature of wanting to secretely overthrow everything.

As I get through the rest of the data, I will post the most notorious of the line. It will be very interesting to see who and how my blood line affected human history.

Ciao.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-15-2007 08:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a mutt.

Far back as I've been able to trace was on my mother's side, to the guy who got off the boat from Ireland in 1700. And her grandfather was Cherokee Indian, so that's cool.

Dad's side is quite obscure; many generations lived in the mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee, and very little in the way of records have been found. I kept reading about several courthouse fires at the turn of the 20th century, wherein many area records were lost. My father's line is of English descent, however. The family originally settled in Tennessee sometime in the late 18th century.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2007 10:49 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, someone in my family found that my great great great great great great aunt was Goody (Mary) Parsons, who was tried at the Salem Witch Trials. She was aquitted. That and some Viking heritage on my dad's side. But thats all I know of.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-16-2007 11:51 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As it turns out, I am a direct descendant of King John of England. This is the same King John of Shakespeares 'King John' and of 'Robin Hood' lore. He would be my Grandfather to the 22nd degree, or something like that.

I am also a direct descendant of King Louis the VIII of France. There was a marriage between the royal families down the line to increase the bloodlines and to seal rifts of war.

Apparently I am unable to declare myself as any part of the royal family as our decendents did flip the finger during the revolution and were considered to be no longer in existence. Also apparently as soon as a female propogates to a non royal you lose. So no being named 'sir' or 'lord' anytime soon. Dangit.

Nah, that's not true. They only tell you that to deprive you of what's rightfully yours. You are the true king of both England and France, and let no one tell you otherwise. You should go to England and claim your throne. How do you do that? Well, it's a step by step process. First you take a plane to London. Once you are there, tell people who you are, and you will slowly gather a following. It helps if you promise them stuff. Whatever they want to hear. Rewards, lands, titles, stuff like that. Once you are king, you don't have to give them anything. When you have gathered a large following, overthrow the royal family, torture them, kill their followers. That's about it. Then you are King Dave.
To claim your throne in France, repeat the above steps. That will be a little easier since you already have one kingdom. Plus there is no king in France right now, so they will be taken by surprise and there is no one to compete with you. If there are any other claimants, torture and kill them, too.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2007 04:51 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's good to be the king."

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2007 05:38 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any famous people in my family history that I know of.

Last week I was surfing Google and typed in my family's last name. I found an old newspaper article from 1983 in my dad's hometown of Findlay, Ohio (where most of the Waaland's lived) and it was my great-grandpa being interviewed about our family heritage and his flower shop. I barely remember him. He died when I was really young. It was like reaching back and having a conversation with him rather than just seeing another name on the family tree. It was neat because you could get an understanding of what type of man he was and his character.

My dad's family came from Norway and it turns out that my family's last name used to be Oxnevad. In those days when you moved your name stayed with the farm. Hence my family moved to the Waaland (pronounced wall-end) farm and took on that last name.

My mom's family has German, Cherokee and Dutch in it. That is about all I know about her side even though my mom and grandma have spent countless hours researching our heritage.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-17-2007 06:15 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew both parents, and one grandmother; but know very little about my family on either side. It is something that was never talked about, and I ever brought it up, the subject was quickly changed. Some sort of skeletons in the cupboard I assume, but I've no idea what. My father's family came from Gloucestershire, and my mother's from Peckham, in South London. I have some Welsh blood in me somewhere, I assume on my father's side, as Gloucestershire is not far from Wales.

I did have one relative, I think he was a great uncle, or something of that sort, who was a fascist. He was in the British Union of Fascists in the '30s, and I think must have been something significant in the party, because he had a photograph of himself sitting on the platform at a party meeting, with Oswald Mosely just a couple of places away.

He also supported the Nazis, which was not that uncommon, a fair number of people in this country supported Hitler in the early days, but he continued to do so until his death, in about 1961. How he got on during the War, I don't know; it must have made life rather difficult for him, though he would have been too old to have been called up to serve. He always said that Britain should have been on Hitler's side, against the Russians.

I only ever met him once or twice, and I was too young at the time to understand the events of twenty years or so before, but I do remember there was something about him that I didn't like; he made me feel very uncomfortable, even at that age.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-17-2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
"It's good to be the king."
Oh, Count de Money? Count de Money!

(Mike... ROFL!)

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Here are these 15.... (crash.... 10, 10 Commandments!"

On my mom's side, we're related to President James Buchanan.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2007 01:53 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While not related to Kings or royalty, (that I know of), I am very proud of my family history. I am a descendent of James Clemens, who with his wife Sophia helped to start the Longtown Settlement in Ohio. Longtown was one of the first primarily black settlements in the country and was established in the early 1800s in Darke County Ohio.

They established a school with the Quakers that taught both blacks and whites, and were conductors on the underground railroad during the civil war. Members of my family volunteered from the settlement and fought with the 54th Massachusetts during the civil war.

The Clemens Family Homestead is still standing and is now listed on the National Register of historical places. The site is currently being restored for tourism.

Here is a link on the Clemens Homestead if you are a history geek.

Clemens Homestead

On the other side of my family, my Uncle Bill (William) and Aunt Daisy Myers were the first blacks to integrate the all white Philadelphia suburb of Levittown by buying a home in 1957. I remember as a kid my mom telling me the stories of my family members that had rocks thrown at their house and a cross burned on the lawn so I had a chance at a better future. My Uncle Bill passed away in 1987, but their family was issued an apology by the state in 1999.

My Aunt Daisy wrote a book about the experience: Sticks n' Stones: The Myers Family in Levittown.

Here is an article from a few years ago.

Daisy Myers

On a more current note if you live in the Dayton, OH area, you probably have heard of my uncle Bob Ross, who owns several car dealerships. My uncle Bob passed in 1997, but my cousins currently run the dealerships.

That is it for me.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-19-2007 01:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're thoroughly documented, Shane. [Wink]

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2007 11:48 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Sounds like you're thoroughly documented, Shane.

Yeah, there is no denying who I am! [thumbsup]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2007 12:20 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Shane Cooper
Longtown was one of the first primarily black settlements in the country and was established in the early 1800s in Darke County Ohio.
How is Darke pronounced?

Funny stuff, Michael, as usual. Ever see that old SNL sketch with the party and all the guests in attendance have inventions that will later be named after them, such as (Bill Murray?) the Earl of Sandwich? One of my all time favorite bits from that show.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2007 11:19 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
How is Darke pronounced?
As you might imagine it to be.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: