Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » TRON...Happy 25th! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TRON...Happy 25th!
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 12:11 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It all happens inside a computer."

On July 9, 1982, twenty-five years ago today, Walt Disney's "Tron" was released on 1,091 theatre screens in the United States and Canada. The groundbreaking film, starring Jeff Bridges and directed by Steven Lisberger, cost nearly $20 million to produce (a huge sum in its day) and grossed, according to most accounts, a mere $30 million domestically.

A visual and aural delight, "Tron" was nominated for two Academy Awards: Sound and Costume Design. But, more amazing than the film's amazing visual effects is trying to figure out why the film was not nominated for a Visual Effects Oscar!

Of note to the film's history is that it was photographed in Super Panavision 70, reviving the process that had been popular with the 1960s roadshows but had been dormant for a decade. But despite the large-format origination, Disney struck only about 40 high-quality 70-millimeter prints for domestic distribution. A list of the venues in which the 70mm version was booked is provided below, and what some may find a surprise is the number of theatres in major markets denied an opportunity to showcase "Tron" in the best presentation manner available at the time. (Some theatres in cities absent from the list of initial 70mm bookings did, however, screen a 70mm print in the fall of '82 or spring of '83 when Disney re-issued the film with the hope it might find an audience during a less-crowded moviegoing season.)

So...is "Tron" a good movie? After 25 years I still can't decide! But one thing is certain: the film was ahead of its time due to the innovative use of computer graphics, and its influence can be observed in countless movies, television programs and video games. I think anyone working in the film, computer and video-game industries owes a debt of gratitude to "Tron" and its talented production crew.

Anyone have any "Tron" memories they care to share?

Me? As a 13 year-old, I saw "Tron" in July or August of '82 at the Barstow Twin in Barstow, California. What I remember most was: (1) being confused by the character names and computer terminology, (2) thinking the movie was not as good as the video game, (3) seeing the trailer for the soon-to-open EPCOT Center and wondering why Florida instead of California would get such a thing, and (4) on the way out of the theatre, enthusiastically spotting the one-sheet for that summer's re-issue of "Star Wars" which included a banner in the corner of the poster promising the first glimpse of footage, in the form of a coming attractions trailer, for the next "Star Wars" movie due for release the following year. I would see "Star Wars" several (more) times during that re-issue, and "Tron" was quickly forgotten.

Over the years, though, thanks to the fantastic Special Edition LaserDisc and subsequent DVD, and the 70mm print that surfaced in 1999 and made the rounds, I’ve come to appreciate "Tron" and think it deserves some recognition on this, the 25th anniversary of its release.

A supplement to this reminiscence for the film history and technology enthusiasts: a list of the original, first-run 70mm Six-Track Dolby Stereo engagements of "Tron."

Baltimore, MD: Westview
Bloomingdale, IL: Stratford Square
Calgary, AB: Chinook
Cedar Grove, NJ: Cinema 23
Chicago, IL: McClurg Court
Chicago Ridge, IL: Chicago Ridge Mall
Edmonton, AB: Londonderry
El Cajon, CA: Parkway Plaza
Gretna, LA: Westside
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI: Woods
Hillside, IL: Hillside Square
Honolulu, HI: Royal
Las Vegas, NV: Cinedome
Livonia, MI: Terrace
Los Angeles, CA: Chinese
Los Angeles, CA: Village (opened July 16)
Milwaukee, WI: Spring Mall Triplex
Montclair, CA: Montclair
Montreal, QC: Claremont (July 23)
New York, NY: State 2
Northbrook, IL: Edens
Orange, CA: Cinedome
Paramus, NJ: Route 4 Sevenplex
Pittsburgh, PA: Warner
Portland, OR: Bagdad
Quebec City, QC: Canadien (July 22)
Reno, NV: Century
Sacramento, CA: Century
San Antonio, TX: Northwest
San Diego, CA: Glasshouse 6
San Diego, CA: La Jolla Village
San Jose, CA: Century 24
Southfield, MI: Northland
Springdale, OH: Tri-County
Toronto, ON: Hollywood
Tucson, AZ: El Con
Vancouver, BC: Denman Place
White Plains, NY: United Artists
Winnipeg, MB: Metropolitan (July 30)
Woodbury, NY: Cinema 150

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-09-2007 02:59 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone have any "Tron" memories they care to share?
Well, I never cared for the arcade game since the controls weren't very well implemented. I usually just stuck with Ms Pac Man, Dig Dug and Q*Bert instead. I never saw the movie until recently, where I downloaded and watched it via my Xbox. The movie definitely isn't great, but it I do like the cheesiness factor. Also it is fun to hear the terminology of the day and how they were so amazed by it. The reason I watched the movie is because of the South Park episode where Moses appears as the spinny-top-thingy that is the final boss in the movie Tron.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 03:57 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie, at least in my opinion, was fantastic. I especially liked the special effects. Since I loved going to the arcades in the 1980's, this movie was of special interest to me. So, Happy 25th to Tron. [beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2007 04:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw TRON the following week in July of 1982 - 35mm scope and mono - at our local shoebox UA 4plex cinemas. "TRON" only stayed at this cinema for a two week engagement, thus, I managed to cram in a couple more visits to this house to see the movie again.

At least, this one house, being the largest house that had the film, did have the true, 2.35/1 scope masking tabs, not the usual 2.10/1 cropping as most shoebox houses in this era would have.

I read about TRON in Boxoffice magazines a few months before and had to go see it upon arrival.

Might say, with TRON was the beginning of my interest in CGI films..and was excited in 1984 that Disney Video released TRON on VHS (of course full screen format..), and I plopped down my $39.95 for that video.

David Warner pulled off an excellent bad guy being "Zark" as he did in those late 70's and 80's movies that he would star in (like WB's 1979 feature "Time after Time" with Malcom MacDowell as H.G. Wells..and Warner as "Jack the Ripper")

Later on that year, is when BALLY Midway released the arcade game of TRON for the arcade palaces and was one of my favorite games to play.

Might have to pull out the DVD now and celebrate this anniversary tribute....

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-09-2007 09:12 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen it, but did run the ShoWest promo reel for it at Caesars Palace that year. Disney supplied all of the gear for the general screenings in the old Colliseum meeting rooms. About the only thing I remember of that screening was having to rehearse the show several times in order to get the changeovers just right. All of Disney's other stuff was in 1.85 with a changeover to 2.39 for the Tron segment, stop and cue up the 1.85 machine, then switch back to 1.85 for the close. All double-system mag sound of course. It was one of my first screenings in a pseudo-studio screening room environment. Fun, in a way.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 10:02 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When is Disney going to rerelease this in cinemas!!! it still stands up and I want to see it again on the big screen...

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 11:38 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So...is "Tron" a good movie? After 25 years I still can't decide!
Introducing Richard Roepers next guest movie critic...

I liked the movie then. I like the movie now. The special effects were awesome back then, however, they definately show their age now.

All I remember about seeing this movie is that I was in MN, snuck in a LARGE bag of Reese's Pieces, ate them all, got sick, repeated the very next day.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 12:07 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate in that my theatre booked it as a second run filler that fall (it seemed that the industry was in one of it's "funks" where nothing was doing well) and we played it in our Dolby house.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-09-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked that film....but for the wrong reasons: I sold A LOT of lenses. Yes, it's true, you cannot project deep purple and dark maroon unless you have lots of extra light. These theatres looked great when Tron left.

Don't look for a reissue soon, Disney (?) lost a bundle on it, even in the theme parks! Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was a flop. We never played it, and that was at a time when we were playing 2 changes a week, so we were playing everything that was grossing anything!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-09-2007 01:43 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hate to go against the grain here, but I thought TRON was just cheap-looking. Also, Disney still put in too much of their "cuteness" (just like the "Black Hole") that makes no one over the age of seven want to sit through twice. I have no doubt that people worked hard on it, but if someone tries to use new technology that's not quite ready yet, it sets things back.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2007 02:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
("The Black Hole" - Disney's first PG film in 1979..and in Scope where using a widescreen process was rare for them to use. Also where back then when Disney was rather a third string film company with tons of less than average film releases designated for families ...And by trying a PG release, it was a very poor attempt at making a serious movie as well for they were still in the "cute" mode of their family releases with this one ....I did like VINcent though...voice of Roddy McDowell ...

we could almost open up a separate topic on that movie..)

As I mentioned in other posts, just was lucky to see TRON in 70mm in the fall of 1982 ... and that sure made up for the 35mm mono release that I saw in July...

-Monte

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-09-2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked Tron the first time I saw it. The bold, graphic visual style of the movie was wonderful. I think my own sense of graphic design was affected by the movie. I believe Tron still holds up very well to do this day. I have seen the movie many times -mostly repeat viewings on various video formats. My aunt Patricia had it on a RCA SelectaVision disc. I currently have the 2-disc DVD. Tron would probably be really good in Blu-Ray format if they encode the video properly.

Many viewers in 1982 were thrown by all the computer terms used in the movie. I was taking computing classes in middle school on pre-Mac Apple machines and Radio Shack TRS-80 "trash 80" computers -and getting annoyed by their different treatments of BASIC language. Obviously knowing what all the terminology meant made the film more enjoyable.

The movie is not without a few flaws. Some of the dialog is pretty cheesy. When Jeff Bridges' character was playing Space Paranoids (early in the film) and beat the scoring record, why did he quit playing right then? Why not keep playing and establish a much higher score? The music score could have been better. But those are minor nits. Overall, Tron was quite a ground-breaking movie.

Tron was definitely before its time. The movie had a real concept of the Internet and hacking computer networks well before the Internet had even been invented. The movie pre-dated the virtual reality world of The Matrix by nearly two decades.

In terms of technology Tron was at the bleeding edge in 1982. This is one movie where CRAY supercomputers were really used to create some of the visuals. The film took the first baby-steps toward fully computer generated movies. Pixar's John Lasseter said, "without Tron there would have been no Toy Story.

In 1982 I was a teenager living in Belle Chasse, LA -a suburb south of New Orleans. My family saw it at a theater in nearby Gretna, but I don't remember anything about it being shown in 70mm. I wasn't aware of formats like 70mm until seeing Return of the Jedi a year later in Springfield, VA. I didn't even know Tron was actually filmed in 70mm until hearing it from Robert Harris during a talk he gave to School of Visual Arts students at a screening of Spartacus in 1991. What I did know was Tron looked very cool and unlike any other movie I had seen before or since then.

The Summer of 1982 had a number of really good movies. E.T.: The Extraterrestrial was very entertaining. Poltergeist scared the shit out of me. Although Bladerunner has had a more lasting influence on the visual design of science fiction films, I believe Tron was far more visually remarkable.

Tron - The Games
I didn't really care for the original coin operated video game. The problem is players just memorized patterns to beat one level after another -so it got repetitive very quickly once you figured out that glitchy joystick. It was kind of cool how the levels of the game were named after programming languages like BASIC, FORTRAN, APL, ASSEMBLER, etc. I remember games like Dig Dug and Robotron: 2084 appearing in arcades in the summer of 1982 and faring better. A couple years later Bally/Midway released the Discs of Tron coin-op game. I liked that one a lot more. It was in a huge, booth-like cabinet. Unfortunately the game never had much success.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
Don't look for a reissue soon, Disney (?) lost a bundle on it, even in the theme parks! Louis
Didn't Disney make a couple 70mm DTS prints of Tron in 2002 for the film's 20th anniversary? I'm only asking this because the Paramount Theater in Austin, TX is showing Tron in "70mm and digital stereo" August 24-25. I'm seriously considering making the drive down there to see the show (and do some serious beer drinking on 6th Street). Tron is one of several movies the Paramount is showing in 70mm during August.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 03:11 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found TRON to be a major disappointment. Not having been in to video games may have been a factor. Another may have been that it remains the only film I saw at the Chinese where the left half of the screen was out of focus. Maybe it was the dullness of the graphics inside the game the characters were in. Regardless, it just seemed lifeless to me. I truly didn't care about any of the characters. They were completely listless to me. I think I remember seeing this opening weekend (it was playing on all three Mann Westowwod screens in 35mm, I seem to remember before going to the Village in 70mm. It was a Saturday matinee and very few people were in the theatre, quite a bit of difference than usual at that theatre for this time period.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they should hand it over to George Lucas and see if he can "enhance" it at all. I'm guessing the digital glowing effects would be quite cool.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: