Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 32,290 Square Foot Bathroom opens in Bejing!

Author Topic: 32,290 Square Foot Bathroom opens in Bejing!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-06-2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I bet that a certain Film-Tech member is dam proud of the Chinese for this accomplishment!

Article here.

BEIJING - They're flush with pride in a southwestern Chinese city where a recently-opened porcelain palace features an Egyptian facade, soothing music and more than 1,000 toilets spread out over 32,290 square feet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Officials in Chongqing are preparing to submit an application to Guinness World Records to have the free four-story public bathroom listed as the world's largest, the state-run China Central Television reported Friday.

"We are spreading toilet culture. People can listen to gentle music and watch TV," said Lu Xiaoqing, an official with the Yangrenjie, or "Foreigners Street," tourist area where the bathroom is located. "After they use the bathroom they will be very, very happy."

Footage aired on CCTV showed people milling about the sprawling facility and washing their hands at trough sinks. For open-aired relief, there is a cluster of stalls without a roof.

Some urinals are uniquely shaped, including ones inside open crocodile mouths and several that are topped by the bust of a woman resembling the Virgin Mary.

"Other bathrooms are all the same. This one is very special, I've never seen anything like it," one visitor to the tourist area told CCTV.

There are also plans to build a supermarket nearby, which will sell toilet-related items, CCTV reported.

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2007 11:19 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, read this in the newspaper this morning and thought, "WTF, this is insane."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are the pictures?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what kind of things you can watch on TV in the stall so that you will leave "very happy".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-06-2007 01:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately there were no pictures... Perhaps Richard Hamilton can get some for us on hiz next trip over. Personally, thats got to be one hell of a place to mop up! They will need at least one of these bathrooms on the new A-380 [Eek!] .

I did a search for photos and came up with all this do-do on Chinese and their bathrooms. I decided just to post the link since the page is so long.
More Chinese Bathroom Do-Do

Imagine... they have one star through four star bathrooms over there. How many stars is your bathroom????

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-06-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post pictures or it doesn't exist.

My bathroom is 5-star.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-06-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A likely communist p(l)ot! Louis

Erica Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 01:22 PM      Profile for Erica Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Erica Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo slideshow here:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/lf/071107chinapubtoilet;_ylt=ApR_egbewJWS1O9IP2JpSNsuQE4F

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2007 01:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Imagine... they have one star through four star bathrooms over there. How many stars is your bathroom????

Well, all of those look pretty reasonable, if they're kept in that condition, and at least they're listening to the complaints from torrists, and doing something about it. What is that thing next to the washbasin in the four star ladies room? Micorwave oven? Mini-refrigerator? [Confused]

The first place just looks weird, and horrible; it looks like it's outdoors, and there seems to be mould growing on some of the walls, even though it's new. I couldn't make out what the women with their heads stuck through the walls were; but in the last picture, the one with the two young girls, they seem to be rather strange washbasins.

I know somebody who lives and works in China, and he's very impressed with the place, and so am I, from the pictures I've seen, though obviously there will be good and bad, like everywhere else, and where he works is certainly at the top end.

I'd really like to visit China, but I can't afford it at the moment. Whether you get to see the not-so-good, or whether they keep the tourists only in the good bits, I don't know. The other thing that puts me off going is the language problem; learning any usefil amount of Chineese would not be easy.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-2007 02:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think maybe they had better go for the ugliest bathroom record.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they assign stars based on gaudiness alone, then it deserves every star. Is there incredibly bright lighting and sky colored ceilings throughout, or is there no roof. Because where I come from that makes it 3 storeys and a roof full of garish urinals.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-13-2007 12:32 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least they seem to have improved and updated from the "squat over the floor drain pipe to shit and then wash it down with a garden hose" method when I was last there... [Smile]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 01:06 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You stayed at the Marriott too Phil? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: