Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows Internet Time Synchronizing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Windows Internet Time Synchronizing
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too sure if many of you know but it appears that the Internet Time Synchronizing feature is no longer working.

This applies to both windows XP and Vista, (all versions).

It may be worth checking to see if you are affected, I know this is the case in the UK.

You can easily change the checking site in XP.;...

Double click the clock, right side of task bar.
Click on Internet Time tab.

You may see an error message
'An error occured while windows was synchronizing with (server name)' if so.....

Where it says Sever you should try another site by clicking on the drop down menu or, for the UK, type in 'uk.pool.ntp.org' Then click on Update Now.

It's strange that this has not been fixed by an automatic update....

Regards

|  IP: Logged

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-04-2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic:

How to Prepare for Daylight Saving Time

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 12:42 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jennifer,

I've checked your link but it's not the same problem.

The Internet Time synchronizing no longer works at all at the standard setting when windows is installed. Check it and see for yourself.

The address I've supplied is fine for the UK and should work elsewhere but there may be a better one for the US.

As I say I know this affects the UK and I was just wondering if it's the same elsewhere?

Regards.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-04-2007 01:23 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I updated and "time.windows.com" works fine for me.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-04-2007 01:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just worked fine for me, too. The last I knew, Yorkshire was part of the UK, but I'm sure a separatist movement exists somewhere. Maybe they'll plant exploding ferrets in the homes of incomers (note to self - work on my Yorkshire dialect! Having been born and brought up in Wimbledon and only moved here aged 27, the 'southern wuss' accent is a dead giveaway...).

Ken - do you have a firewall which is blocking whatever process or application does the updating? For the record, the computer I've just updated successfully runs XP Pro with the Windows firewall completely disabled, but with the firewall component of Iolo System Mechanic 7 running. Failing that, might your router's firmware or your ISP be blocking access to time.windows.com for some reason?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 01:28 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again,

thanks for trying.... it well be a UK problem.

I read it in a computer mag this week and tried it myself and on all my systems, two XP and two Vista it was the same.

Be interesting to hear from others if they have, don't have the problem.

Regards.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-04-2007 01:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are all four of your computers connected to the Internet through the same router and/or ISP?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 01:49 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again Leo

Just looked back at the mag article, Personal Computer World, August 2007, Vol 30, No 9.

It states that 'It turns out the the two default servers - time.windows.com and time.nist.gov - are no longer useable, at least for Europe.

So you are definatly within Europe..... but so am I!

Not sure whats going on here, but it's clearly a known issue and nothing to do with my setup.

Regards.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-04-2007 02:21 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did notice that my laptop wasn't syncing at home the other day, but thought it was probably just a temporary glitch, and didn't think any more about it. This was only in Windows; it was fine in Mac OS X. Haven't used a computer at home much for the last couple of weeks, dure to building work in progress.

At work we don't use the Windows time servers; we have two of our own, running on Linux boxes which also do a few other things, like DHCP. These sync to two non-Microsoft servers, one at Red-Hat and one at Janet, (Joint Academic Network), if I remember correctly. Varoius non-Windows things like switches, routers, some printers etc., and the top level Windows domain controllers sync to these, the child domain controllers sync to the top level ones, and the servers and workstations sync to the domain controllers of the domain they are in, so we wouldn't see the problem at work. I'll try again at home, and see what happens.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 02:30 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen,

What I find interesting is that if it is 'real' problem why no update has been isuued. After all it is very important that computers have their time correctly set.

If the bios battery were to fail and the time and date be set to some default date a few years back then some software would cease to function correctly. Setting the time back after may not resolve such problems. The same would apply to a date some years in advance.

So whilst it may not seem to be a major problem it has potential to be very damageing to your software.

Regards.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 06:27 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. I fixed it by changing the time server. The "Internet Time" tab of the "Date & Time Properties" box is where I changed it. I searched around the Internet for a server that worked. You can probably find a close one at this Microsoft support page.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-04-2007 06:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The last it automatically updated was 07/02/2007. I just now told it to update and it worked fine...07/04/2007.

I use the "time-a.nist.gov" server.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried all nine servers offered by Windows XP and all failed to synchronize, each with the message "An error occurred while Windows was attempting to synchronize with [name of server.]"

When I return to the clock set box, the error message is replaced with the following:

"Windows has never attempted to synchronize with an internet time server."

Go figure... [Confused]

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 07:47 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi George,

use the site I'd posted earlier and all will be fine.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-05-2007 04:04 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an error message as well, but then tried it again and it returned a successful message, so I am with Gerard....Go figure. But nothing surprises me with Windows; I have know Windows to give outright lies in their error message boxes -- evil messages -- causing me to spend hours trying to figure out a problem based on an erronious message. You just can't always believe every message you get from Window.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: