Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Vote for the Springfield you think is the hometown of The Simpsons

Author Topic: Vote for the Springfield you think is the hometown of The Simpsons
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-02-2007 09:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simpsons Movie Contest

Notwithstanding the overall lameness of Springfield Oregon's video entry in this contest, there's no doubt in my mind that our Springfield is the home of The Simpsons.

If you're a Cinemarker and you have no preference, consider casting your vote for Springfield OREGON, where the premiere would take place at Cinemark 17. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-03-2007 03:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely, the contest organizers failed to include Springfield, Virginia on the list of choices. It's an incorporated town of 30,000 next to the giant I-95/I-395/I-495 Capital Beltway interchange in the Washington, DC suburbs.

I voted for Springfield, Missouri -simply because it is the nearest Springfield to me (400 miles east on I-44). It's also near Branson, MO, which is a pretty loony tourist town on its own. Brad Pitt grew up in Springfield, MO -even though he's a native born Okie.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the context of the contest, it's been a long running joke with the series where Springfield is, but I'm pretty sure that the simpsons Springfield was supposed to be in Kentucky, it was outted in the "behind the music" spoof a few seasons ago. Or am I wrong?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-05-2007 10:40 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah you're wrong... its Mass... Look at the Video shot of the City's in comparison!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 09:56 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Springfield, Vermont won the contest.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 10:07 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOgically, there needs to be a nuke plant. None in KY. Louis

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 08:10 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Los Angeles Times:

quote:
Vt. Town Named `Simpsons' Official Home

By JOHN CURRAN, Associated Press Writer
5:18 AM PDT, July 11, 2007

SPRINGFIELD, Vt. -- Maybe it was the pink doughnut. Maybe it was the clever homemade video, or small-town charm. Maybe Homer just figured it was time to go green.

Whatever the reason, this much is true: Tiny Springfield, Vt., beat out 13 other like-named cities Tuesday for the right to host the premiere of "The Simpsons Movie," winning an online poll it wasn't even invited to participate in.

On July 21, the town's 100-seat movie theater will play host to the movie, which opens July 27.

"Vermont wins," read the purple lettering beside the doughnut-chomping patriarch of America's favorite dysfunctional family on "The Simpsons Movie Springfield Challenge" Web site.

"Ninety-three hundred people, and we won," said an exultant Town Manager Bob Forguites. "I think it's pretty neat, myself."

Springfields in Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon and Tennessee also made bids, submitting videos meant to playfully connect their cities to the fictional Springfield in "The Simpsons."

Competition was fierce: Massachusetts got U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy -- the inspiration behind the voice of Mayor Quimby on "The Simpsons," to appear in its entry.

"Just think," Kennedy said. "You'll even be able to enjoy some real chowdah."

Vermont's Springfield -- which has a bowling alley, a pub, a prison and a nuclear power plant just down the road -- wasn't initially part of the contest, but a local Chamber of Commerce executive appealed to movie producer 20th Century Fox and the race was on.

The town submitted a video shot by a 17-year-old volunteer cameraman showing buildings with "Springfield" in them and featuring Homer -- played by a Burlington talk-show host -- running through town chasing a big, pink, rolling doughnut.

Eventually, a mob chases him into a movie theater.

The video was posted on the contest Web site along with the other entries. By midnight Monday, the deadline, 109,582 votes were cast.

Vermont got 15,367, edging out Springfield, Ill., which drew 14,634.

Florida's Springfield got the lowest vote total, 1,386.

"We're so excited," says Patricia Chaffee, vice president of the Springfield Regional Chamber of Commerce. "We came in at the last minute, and for us to win, we feel like the underdogs, which makes this so big and so great for us."

Gov. Jim Douglas congratulated the town.

"This is an exciting, exhilarating moment for Vermonters," he said. "Perhaps more importantly, it proves there's really nothing a giant doughnut can't do. To all the other Springfields, I say 'Don't have a cow, man.'"

The mayor of Springfield, Illinois, the state's capital city, took the loss like a man, not a cow.

"We knew all along that it would be a tough battle against the other cities who claim a relationship with the television program," said Timothy Davlin. "We in Springfield, Illinois, have enjoyed the notoriety from this exercise and hope that it translates into more people visiting Springfield looking for the Abraham Lincoln sites and the Simpsons."

Springfield, Ore., hoped it had an in because "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening is from Portland, the state's largest city, and many of the show's landmarks are named after streets in Portland. It noted in its video that "the only Springfield Groening passed through on his way to Hollywood was in Oregon."

According to USA Today, which ran the vote on its Web site, the 13 other Springfields that participated will be given small screenings of their own the night before the movie opens nationwide July 27.

* __

AP writers John O'Connor in Chicago and Aaron Clark in Portland, Ore., contributed to this report.

* __

On the Net:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/simpsons-contest.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: