Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Which is your favorite Pixar feature film? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which is your favorite Pixar feature film?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 09:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Fields' post in the review section prompted me to start this thread.

For a long time I said Toy Story is my favorite of all the Pixars, partly due to the fantastic chase scene at the end, but I think now I would put Finding Nemo on top. It has a great story, a hilarious ending ("Now what?") and some of the funniest characters (Dory, voiced by Ellen Degeneres).

My ranking of the Pixars would be:

Finding Nemo
Toy Story
Cars
Ratatouille
Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc.
The Incredibles
A Bug's Life

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-01-2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably say:

The Incredibles
Toy Story 2
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc
Toy Story
A bout of uncontrollable diarrhea
Getting kicked square in the nuts... TWICE!
(Tie) Cars, A Bug's Life

I haven't seen the Rat movie, yet.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-02-2007 03:52 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Monsters Inc.
Toy Story 2 (yep liked the second one better)
Toy Story
Cars
A Bug's Life

I have not seen the new Rat film, and I am pretty sure that I won't be seeing it anytime soon. It isn't about the film being bad or anything, on the contrary it probably is really good. My great grandfather who was from Polermo, Sicily, taught me from the day I could stand on a chair all about cooking and all that is food (my mother wouldn't let him teach me wine, as I was only eight when he died, so I have the worst taste in wine).

I just CANNOT fathom a rat in the kitchen. The idea makes me want to hurl, so I will trust that it is a good flick.

Ciao

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-02-2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like picking between children... Everyone says it's impossible to choose, but deep down inside parents they know they have favorites [Wink]

The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Ratatouille
Toy Story 2
Cars

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2007 10:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually is all the Pixar Shorts were put onto one DVD that would be my favorite by far. The shorts are always a special treat in themselves.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2007 10:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - you should go watch the first 2 reels of the Rat movie. It has one of the best pixar "chase" scenes ever, and if you are not hooked by the end of reel 2 you still will have seen some of the best stuff in the movie, plus the short.

Mark - I agree about the shorts. Lots of 'em are on YouTube. (If you can handle the YouTube crappiness.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-02-2007 10:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that sheep one that's before The Incredibles. Makes me want to set Pixar's headquarters on fire, but then they make good movies and that makes me want to give them my $$$.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toy Story 2
Toy Story
Monsters Inc
The Incredibles
Ratatouille
Finding Nemo

others are crap.........

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-03-2007 04:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap? To call any of Pixar's releases "crap" is a stretch. Their weakest movie is better than the best output from most other studios. To each his own I guess.

I liked all of Pixar's releases...a lot. It's difficult to rank the movies in any particular order since that's like comparing apples, bowling balls and shovels.

The more recent movies have an advantage from being rendered with much more mature technology. A newer movie like Cars certainly looks a lot better than Toy Story.

However, the older releases could be seen by some as being stronger since Pixar's was charting unknown territory and the ideas were more fresh.

Either way, every one of their projects has had a daunting amount of effort put into them.

My attempt at ranking the movies in favor:

Finding Nemo
Toy Story 2
The Incredibles
A Bug's Life
Toy Story
Cars
Ratatouille
Monsters Inc.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-03-2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank - exactly what was it about "Cars" and "A Bug's Life" that made you think they are "crap?"

I found "Bug's" a bit of a letdown after "Toy Story" but I thought "Cars" was outstanding, especially the backgrounds which I thought were among the best of any of the computer-made films.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved "CARS" for the tribute on three things:
1 - The American tribute to the "Mother Road" - Route 66.
2 -"Lightning McQueen,"..tribute to Steve McQueen - actor and a race car enthuasist with a "bad boy" image. One can almost see James Dean in this tribute as well.
3 -"Doc Hudson," with an actor turned race car driver himself doing the voice of that classic '51 Hudson Hornet: Paul Newman.

(and Frank calls this crap??)

A little technical story on the background imaging in the canyon scenes of 'CARS': There was so much graphic information that was drawn up for these scenes that the processing couldn't be done in "real time" since the CRAY supercomputers at PIXAR couldn't process all of that information at that "real time" speed. Thus, the rendering of these scenes had to be slowed down from "real time" down to a time that could be processed for the CRAYS to handle and process.

You might say, these scenes had to be processed down to silent film speed so the CRAYS can handle the actual processing, then sped up to sound speed (real time) during the post production.

I've got a 20 second clip and converted to a loop from the "Bug's Life" trailer that I use for DTS sound testing since I've got the trailer disc for this certain trailer: the section of the trailer where the group "the Who" is playing the introduction of "Baba O'Riley."

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-03-2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but I cannot stand ANY of the stuff from Pixar. I HATE their animation! It all looks like shit to me.

Bring back the class and style and films of the Disney and Tex Avery era and others that were TRUE animators! F*uck those "modern" computer geeks! HA!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-03-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hand drawn animation and computer animation are two entirely different things.

Sadly, I think the days of studios like Disney funding big budget hand drawn animated projects are finished -at least for now. Most hand drawn animation was being outsourced to Japan and then Korea. Disney was one of the last hold outs employing American animators. So there's very little market for that kind of thing anymore.

It should also be said that the last several really good hand drawn animated movies from Disney (Tarzan, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin) had a serious mix of computer animation thrown into the production.

It's also worthy to note Pixar has been animating the characters in its movies by hand. They haven't been using motion capture, which is a little like cheating. It would be the equivalent of an illustrator tracing photographs rather than drawing a picture from observation.

Also, if Pixar's animation looks like shit, then can we hear what computer animation has actually looked good?
[Confused]

quote: Monte L Fullmer
A little technical story on the background imaging in the canyon scenes of 'CARS': There was so much graphic information that was drawn up for these scenes that the processing couldn't be done in "real time" since the CRAY supercomputers at PIXAR couldn't process all of that information at that "real time" speed. Thus, the rendering of these scenes had to be slowed down from "real time" down to a time that could be processed for the CRAYS to handle and process.
Where has it been claimed that Pixar uses Cray super computers for animation and rendering?

The animators at Pixar (and just about all other animation, effects and game development studios) do their animation work on SGI IRIX workstations, Sun Workstations, Windows PCs and even some Macs.

The first few Pixar movies had their final rendering completed on "farms" of networked Sun workstations. The last three Pixar movies have been rendered on networked farms of Intel-based PCs running Linux.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2007 03:08 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never has rendering been done in "real time" at Pixar.

It takes much longer to render a single frame than 1/24th of a second.

Cray X-MP was used back in the Lucasfilm Computer Graphics days (the precursor to Pixar) but I highly doubt that the X-MP was used on any of the feature films that pixar has used. In fact, Pixar was mainly in the hardware business for a long time before making feature films. They produced an imaging computer device.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-04-2007 03:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfort, I can't present the facts on the Cray - just what I've heard down the pipe, thus not factual info..sorry on the misleading.

But do agree though: CGA and ink and paper animations are two completely different worlds for sure. And that can be a topic that can easilly be started and will never have an end.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: