Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Transformers to premiere on cable pay-per-view, same day as box office?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Transformers to premiere on cable pay-per-view, same day as box office?!
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link

SCOOP] Transformers to premiere on cable pay-per-view, same day as box office
Story posted on: June 21, 2007

UberPulse has learned that, for the first time in Hollywood's history, a local studio, namely Paramount, will release next month's live-action Transformers movie, on cable pay-per-view, the same day it premiere's in US theatres, on July 3rd. But don't hold your breath... the price tag for that special night might deter more than one: $49!

At this price, it makes sense to watch a blockbuster at home instead of going to the theatres, only if you have a really nice home theatre system and invite lots of family and friends. And that's exactly how Hollywood is trying to convince the theatres: that those people, who owns such home theatre systems, are not going to the cinemas anyway.

We have also learned that movie theatres are very reluctant to release that content as they have the right on it for the first six months it is released a.k.a the first window of exclusivity... But the writing is on the wall. So expect more experiments like this one, more often... cheaper... until the death of theatres!

[ 06-22-2007, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-22-2007 04:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Highly-respected news source Comic Book News Web sez:

quote:
According to Nelson of MichaelBay.com this is completely false. A direct quote from Mr. Bay is below.
From Bay: “Total bullshit. Probally a scam putting old movie on.”

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2007 04:23 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually makes sense that a studio would try the day-and-date thing with something big like the new Transformers.

Despite vocal opposition from the theatre owners as to day-and-date policies, the studios know that the theatre owners would not take an actual stand by refusing to run something as big as Transformers so it is great way to call the theatre owners bluff.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-22-2007 04:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rumor is true, despite that supposed quote from Michael Bay.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2007 04:48 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, if this were true I think it would be all over the real hollywood wires.

Second, the theatrical debut is July 2nd, not July 3rd and this date has been known for some time now.

Third, I would think that this would be advertised if it were true.

Fourth, with Spielberg involved (an "old school" guy) I don't think he would approve.

And finally........this would create BIG problems between paramount and theater chains.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-22-2007 05:05 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
UberPulse has learned that, for the first time in Hollywood's history, a local studio namely Paramount, will release next months live-action Transformer movie, on cable pay-per-view, the same day it premieres in US theatres,
That would mark the third time a film was released in Hollywood's history to a television playdate along with it's theatrical release.
First time was "Richard III" in 1956 with an airing on NBC and then again on February 18th 1983 with Universal's "Pirates of Penzance". "Pirates" was shown on a Los Angeles cable movie station "SelecTV".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2007 05:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got an email from NATO today saying this is a false rumor.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2007 12:05 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
like I am going to trust something called UberPulse.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2007 02:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I think "pay per view" I think shitty 4:3 SDTV picture and barely stereo sound. Even if you have the best home theater in the world like Andy Summers, it'll still look and sound like crap.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2007 04:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So Joe, you are saying Denver now has a commercial theater capable of providing a better presentation than your home?

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2007 04:43 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
When I think "pay per view" I think shitty 4:3 SDTV picture and barely stereo sound. Even if you have the best home theater in the world like Andy Summers, it'll still look and sound like crap.

I used to think the same thing and most of it is. However, Comcast on Demand has HDTV movies also. I get 5.1 surround and an HD picture although to be honest, I am not sure of the resolution. My HD box is set for 1080i.

Even if this does not happen with transformers, I unfortunately think it will happen in the not to distant future.

If you think about it, $50 is a good price to charge for a day and date movie. It is about what you could spend at the theater.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2007 04:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole idea is stupid though. For $50 a pirate can have a PERFECT FLAWLESS QUALITY bootleg to run off bazillions of copies on opening day without any real risk of getting caught.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-23-2007 07:48 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it's not perfect or faultless...the fact in can be copied SO easily should be of great concern.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
So Joe, you are saying Denver now has a commercial theater capable of providing a better presentation than your home?
No, I'm saying cable TV sucks ass. HD is better, but over cable the bandwidth is severely limited and you'll see two to three times as many digital artifacts as you would watching HD over the air, which itself is bad enough.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
For $50 a pirate can have a PERFECT FLAWLESS QUALITY bootleg to run off bazillions of copies on opening day without any real risk of getting caught.

It's only a matter of time before some pirate figures out how to copy/decrypt/convert to Divx a digital cinema file. I can see it now... The method gets perfected and released to the net, every 18 year old "projectionist" with a laptop will be a potential pirate. It will be like the race between hackers and directv a few years ago. The studios as going to have to be dilligent in keeping the files secure at least until the movie has been out a few months.

I do not like the day and date idea. I think it will be the end of theaters as we know them. I doubt it will eliminate them, but there will be another industry-wide correction like there was 6 years ago - even if digital cinema files are never hacked.

I agree with you Brad. It is very easy to pirate what comes across your TV set. My hope is day and date never happens.

Why pay $50 to a theater when I can watch it at home?
Why pay $50 to pay per view if I can download it on the net with close to the same quality?

It will be interesting to see what happens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: