Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » how many theatres are 111 years old?

Author Topic: how many theatres are 111 years old?
Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2007 12:16 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently spent a big chunk of my vacation time driving to my home town and back so that I could visit my Father on Father's Day.

I also had the opportunity to visit my local theatre that is 111 years old.

The place no longer runs movies, but it sure has a nice stage with plenty of fly space.

It was built in 1896 after the original wooden structure burnt down.

It was to be torn down in the 70's, but thankfully it was not. Now it is a vibrant and important deity of the small town that I call my home town.

Any one else?

E

|  IP: Logged

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2007 07:37 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is this?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-22-2007 08:02 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I've been in a few multiplexes that LOOK that old.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2007 08:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parts of the Odeon, Salisbury, though not the auditorium, date from Tudor times.

We've got quite a number of purpose-built cinemas still operating which are 97 years old; many new cinemas were built in 1910, in order to meet the requirements on the Cinematograph Act of 1909, which came into force that year. Most of them had rather similar architecture.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2007 05:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are several theaters (for drama) that were built before 1900, some of which were converted into cinemas when movies took off. It's perfectly possible that there are cinemas even to this day that are over 100 years old, although they will only have operated as a cinema for a much shorter time.

Taking the old Bradford Odeon as an example, originally opened in the late 1920s as the New Victoria Theatre. In the 1960s it was converted into a 2-screen Odeon, and later a 3-screen, but has now closed.

Sometimes even other buildings have been converted into cinemas in the past, showing no hint of their former usage. You then have to ask, do you only count the years the site was operating as a cinema? Or do you count the time since it was originally built, for whatever purpose?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-23-2007 06:43 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the U.S. 111 years is pretty old for a theatre, Carnegie Hall is older.

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2007 10:54 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre is 86 going on 87. It opened Aug. 23, 1920, with Clara Kimball Young in EYES OF YOUTH, along with a short pipe organ concert and a stage show presented by the Vanderbilt University Glee Club.

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2007 11:20 PM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to the place if anyone is interested.

http://www.lakebentonoperahouse.org/index.html

I used to volunteer there when I was a kid, and was in several plays. I always did love the place and know that that is where I got bitten by the "theatre bug".

E

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-24-2007 01:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of the theaters that I service are actually older than that.

Mark

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2007 06:06 PM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The oldest working cinema in the UK. The Elecric Cinema in Birmingham. Built in 1909.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 10:44 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is possible to count the time before conversion to a cinema when establishing the age of a cinema. (If an old church is used then there would be difficulties.

Many old cinemas have had a period of time where they have been closed or changed usage (this applies to Scotland's two oldest cinemas..

Some sites have undergone significant 'refurbishment' which has stripped much of the original interior and exterior features, so it is difficult to tell the true age of the building.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2007 08:37 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hamilton Theater in Hamilton, NY opened in 1895. It was originally called the Sheldon Opera House. It's been running movies since silent days and is now a triplex owned by Colgate University.
Bob

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2007 01:54 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did some hot and hard time in the booth at the Fountain Theater in Mesilla, New Mexico.
Pretty damn old and very cool place. Hi Dad.
http://www.fountaintheatre.org/pages/history.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: