Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Well bugger me, I knew a celebrity! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Well bugger me, I knew a celebrity!
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-18-2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No; don't get excited; it's not Paris Hilton.

I was a student with the BBC talent show winner Paul Potts in the early '90s. I'd done a bit of music as a teenager (well, only getting as far as grade 7 piano) and was roped into accompanying him once or twice during the first year (I was in my first year at the college when Paul was in his final one). My memory of Paul was that he had an amazing singing voice but was a somewhat eccentric personality in other ways. I seem to remember that he was also heavily into local politics and was hoping to stand as a Lib Dem councillor in his home town (though I could be wrong about the party). Anyhow, I never heard anything from Paul after he left the college in 1993, but always had a sneaking suspicion that he might eventually make it big. But I thought it would be as a politician rather than a singer.

Oh well; at least one of us from that place eventually made it big!

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-18-2007 04:37 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How his life has changed in two short weeks.

This could turn into an interesting thread actually...

I once had a girlfriend who lived on the floor beneath Nicole Kidman. Nic had the habit of letting the tub overflow and when my girlfriend went up to complain one time she ended up inviting her down for a drink.

She'd just finished Dead Calm and was about to go shoot Bangkok Hilton so it was quite an influential time for her and she had some good stories...and a love of fine red wine.

A great night from memory...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-18-2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stories, guys! Way cool!

Leo, you HAVE made it, sir... you're a Dr. and a published author!

Pretty big in my book. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2007 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is he any relation to Bob Potts of platter fame... He's the only guy I know of to use Chevy distributor points in the pay out head! Yea man and did they last forever or what... not like todays cheesy Microswitches. Who knows we may all be heading back to Chevy points just for reliability sakes. Get yer feeler gauges ready!

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2007 07:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree with that this topic can really blossom to an interesting one, especially from that story that was written in The Telegraph": England's premier newspaper.

Even the initial video of him singing the last section of the aria from Act III of TURNADOT - "Nessum Dorma" (which I wish that the entire aria was performed that evening...), some of the viewers of that YouTube clip mentions of watching it over and over..and I tend to agree with them since it was so good.

(sorry Mark, don't think it's same family, but do agree that Potts made a platter a lot cheaper and still be as effective as those horribly expensive Norelco's...Maybe you can put a bug in STRONG's ear to use GM points for their microswitch brains instead of them flippin microswitches..and good luck if you try..)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-18-2007 08:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I'm a published author! Two whole articles in the fabulous Videomaker magazine. Can I be famous, too?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-18-2007 10:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father, Charles Henderson, is the most famous person I personally know very well.

He's not a "household name," but is well known amongst many military service members, police officers and gun collectors. He has written 5 books that take place during the Vietnam War. Four of them were non-fiction. The most recent, Jungle Rules, is a fictional tale based in large parts on events that actually took place in DaNang. Sort of like Law and Order set in the Vietnam War. I think it's his most entertaining book since his first novel, Marine Sniper.

All of my father's books have hokey tag lines after the title. They weren't my father's idea.

Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills
1986 Stein & Day hardcover, 1988 Berkeley paperback, 2001 Berkeley trade paperback

Marshalling the Faithful: The Marines' First Year in Vietnam
Non-Fiction, 1993 Berkeley paperback, 2006 Berkeley Caliber trade paperback

Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Vietnam Story Continues
Non-Fiction, 2000 Berkeley hardcover

Goodnight Saigon: The True Story of the U.S. Marines' Last Days in Vietnam
Non-Fiction, 2005 Berkeley Caliber hardcover

Jungle Rules: The True Story of Marine Justice in Vietnam
Fiction, 2006 Berkeley Caliber hardcover

Authors have to build up a LOT of clout before they can dictate many of the nuances in how a book is handled and marketed, like whether tag lines are added or what kind of cover art is used. I would have liked to have illustrated the covers of my father's books. I think I could have done a better job designing the cover of Jungle Rules. The design that was used doesn't convey any of the novel's entertaining and humorous tone. Instead it just looks like a history class text book.

All that aside, my father is currently very busy with three projects. He's nearly finished with a mystery novel that could be the first in a series. Work is in progress on a non-fiction book about Marines in Iraq. He's also working on a screenplay project with a fellow who has directed a lot of TV series episodes.

Other miscellaneous, recent fame oriented stuff related to the small city where I live:

My boss and his wife personally know Miss America 2007, Lauren Nelson and her family pretty well. They have all attended the same church in downtown Lawton for many years.

Grady Brewer, the most recent champion of ESPN's The Contender boxing series lives in Lawton and worked at Goodyear's gigantic tire factory on the city's west side. Some of my friends know Grady pretty well. I've only met the guy a few times. I guess that makes me less cool.

We had the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition episode taped here. The Westbrook family is doing well and their really cool new house is holding up fine despite all the rain, flash floods, lightning, grass growing like hell and BUGS!

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2007 06:22 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this guy CAN sing! Heard him on NBC news last night --- what a voice. My best wishes for his continued success. [thumbsup]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-19-2007 08:47 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff

Click on the 'This guy should give up his day job' thread in Film-Yak for the complete videos.

Watch the moment the female judge (ahem) gets quite flushed. You can see the moment.

[thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-19-2007 11:36 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not seeing that thread, John.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-19-2007 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - John mistyped. It's not a thread, it's a link called "This guy should give up his day job" in the random videos thread. (You've already seen it - you commented on it.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-19-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mike, but I expect to see a dedicated thread by nightfall.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-19-2007 01:52 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh, Joe's drawn a line on the projection booth floor. I'd be afraid, very afraid!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uh oh, Joe's drawn a line on the projection booth floor. I'd be afraid, very afraid!
Don't laugh but... The old Carnigie Theater in Chicago had a line running down the middle of the front wall across the floor and up the back... The two operators there never spoke to each other nor touched each others machines for over 20 years! JJ's if memory serves correctly.

On another note:
Gary Sinise was in my auto shop class. He spent two years at my high school. He was also in several of the high school plays. If I'd have only have known to call him Luu-tent-tent. Dan back then..... Shazam!

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-19-2007 02:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The two operators there never spoke to each other nor touched each others machines for over 20 years! JJ's if memory serves correctly.

Was that all due to the union politics, and was it that bad then?

I worked in a 21 complex where I had an operator that was finicky about his lacing. And worse was when another one of my operators would lace one of his machines, he would pull the film out that the other person would lace up and redo the lacing his way....talk about anal... [Roll Eyes]

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: