Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Projectionist loses job after panning movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Projectionist loses job after panning movie
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 01:01 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link To Story

quote:
Projectionist loses job after panning movie

By Borys Kit
Thu Jun 14, 1:26 AM ET

A projectionist at a Memphis theater chain has lost his job after writing an unauthorized early review of "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" for the Web site Ain't It Cool News.

Jesse Morrison, the projectionist, claims that the film's distributor, 20th Century Fox, was behind the decision by Malco Theatres Inc. to suspend him for an undetermined period. The studio denied the charge.

While studios and filmmakers have endured early reviews of their movies, both negative and positive, on Web sites since the early days of the Internet, the incident might mark the first time someone working in the entertainment industry has lost a job for voicing an early opinion online.

On Saturday, http://www.AintItCool.com posted a negative review by Morrison (writing under his online moniker Memflix) under the headline "Memflix crushes all hope for 'Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."'

A 29-year-old film, video and journalism major at the University of Memphis, Morrison worked for $7 an hour at the Ridgeway Four, next door to Malco's home office. He picked up further compensation by readying movie prints for exhibitor and press screenings, which allowed him during the past year to write reviews of such movies as "Disturbia," "Vacancy" and "Spider-Man 3" for Ain't It Cool. He also wrote reviews for Malco's movie blog and a circular distributed at the theater.

On Monday, two days after his "Silver Surfer" pan appeared, Morrison was called into a meeting with Malco senior vp Jimmy Tashie and, according to Morrison, was "suspended until further notice," with the suggestion that he would not be asked to return.

Morrison said Tashie pointed out that "20th Century Fox called them that morning and threatened to take away the press and trade screenings because of this whole thing. They were upset."

Asked if Fox had any role in the suspension, Tashie said: "Absolutely none." The executive said his company received a call from Fox that said "there's somebody there working for (Malco) who is writing reviews in advance. That's all they said. No one asked us to do anything. We have been in business 95 years, and this is the first time anything like this happened. And this boy knew what he was doing was the wrong thing. . . . He was in a position of trust and he violated that trust."

Drew McWeeney, known as "Moriarty" on the Ain't It Cool site, picked up Morrison's cause. Amid two positive reviews for the new movie, he championed Morrison's right to free speech and wrote: "He's written many reviews for us before, but when he wrote one for 'Fantastic Four,' Fox went into hypersensitive overdrive. They tracked him down and had him fired, threatening to pull their business from the entire chain over that review."

Sources inside Fox denied the studio's involvement, saying that the disciplinary action was beyond their reach and was the theater chain's decision.

Some entertainment companies, including film productions, do ask workers to sign confidentiality agreements, agreeing not to disclose information. Morrison said he had never been asked to sign such an agreement, though he would have if asked.

"If they had sat me down and told me that this has caused such a stink and that we would like you to sign some waiver, I probably would have signed it," Morrison said. "In my opinion, they used strong-arm tactics. I don't regret going on my Web site or Ain't It Cool at all. I just wish it hadn't come to this, but I don't really believe I did anything wrong."

Tashie said: "In the future, anybody in that position will sign something."

A number of Ain't It Cool readers have rallied to Morrison's cause, some even offering him jobs like a cameraman gig in Mexico.

Morrison said he is weighing his options. "I'm hoping to get a job as a professional movie reviewer, but I don't know what's going to happen with that. I guess you could say I'm at some kind of crossroads right now."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

Should we have anything to worry about? [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2007 01:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He should just go over to the nearest Cinemark and continue working.

Mark

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In last couple of months Fox has been pulling most Fleabay auctions for 35mm trailers of both the original 2005 version of Fantastic Four as well as for the new Silver Surfer. Fox has also been pulling most Fleabay auctions of the Fantastic Four Silver Surfer posters.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 02:02 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in an almost exact situation back in 1995. When I worked in Cincy, Ohio - Universal had an office in town and our theatre would have prints months ahead of time. I usually screened them and gave my opinions to various people in the press.

I was brought into my DM's office and told that I may have damaged {INSERT CHAIN NAME HERE}'s relationship with Universal. I had to write a letter of apology to the local Universal Rep. I did keep my job with that company. I also ended up forging a great relationship with the local Universal People.

Of course - this was before the Internet.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 05:03 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the chain has a specific policy forbidding employees from doing this - or he signed a non-disclosure agreement, I do not see where they have the right to fire him.
Unfortunately, it is not worth that much fight for a $7 an hour job. Hopefully, this incident will give this guy enough press that he can land a better job - maybe one reviewing movies. [Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-14-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he's an "at-will" employee, he can be fired for any reason or for no reason. Unless he is in a "protected" category and can prove discrimination (highly unlikely), then there is little that he can do.

That said, it's a pretty stupid reason to fire someone and the film companies need to concentrate more on making better movies than on shutting up people who voice dissatisfaction with the current product.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-14-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penny-anti small circuit internal politics.......go work for real people. Louis

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 09:48 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Penny-anti small circuit
14th largest circuit in the states. I had a chance to visit the booth at the Paridiso in Memphis and it was very impressive. Both the building,decor and the presentation. Mike Thompson did a very good job.

Rick

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-14-2007 10:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So he was probably projecting a trade screening? Not a for-review screening for critics? If so, I probably would have suspended him too. But would have let him come back, if he was a good hand.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 11:09 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shame the film company executives dont get sacked for making bad films, yep lets shoot the messenger again! Not the actual people responsable on 6 figure incomes.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2007 01:25 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally - a projectionist who hits the news columns. Great carrear move. Who really cares, he has probably created more publicity than the studio could ever wish for.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-15-2007 03:21 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't take a genius to know this guy was playing with fire if he's 'reviewing' movies before they're released...especially such high profile movies and giving them a bad review.

Fox never sent him there to review it...he was there to run it and that's it.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2007 03:40 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think one can review something without being sent to do so. apparently there was no agreement one way or the other.

sure, his boss is free to fire him, but his boss is also a jerk.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-15-2007 05:08 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
sure, his boss is free to fire him, but his boss is also a jerk.
I disagree.

This person was an employee and a company representative. He had a specific job function, which had nothing to do with publishing his personal opinion in advance of everyone else. He took advantage of his early access. The studios are pretty clear about not allowing members of the press and critics into trade screenings. I might not have fired him outright, unless this wasn't the only problem I'd had with him (we haven't heard whether that's the case or not). However, that's the company's call. He embarassed them and put himself in the line of fire.

This one was the employer's call to make. Looks like they did that. Take the lesson and move on.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-15-2007 09:22 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand by the penny-anti circuit comment. A real leader would have brought in the employee and inquired if and why he "did it." Unless he had other problems, I would have given him a warning on the first offence.

I would then have established an iron-clad policy that this is not to be tolerated in the future and that doing so would be a firing offence; all employees would then sign off on the new policy and it would be kept in all the job files. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: