Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fred Baum dies at 64

Author Topic: Fred Baum dies at 64
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-01-2007 08:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It deeply saddens me to report that my dear friend, Fred Baum, died on Tuesday at his home.

Fred had a long and storied career; being in the theatre supply business, a TV movie host in Cincinnati, and most-recently, owner and operator of the fabulous Holiday Drive-In, Hamilton, OH (what else am I missing?). Fred also had an impressive collection of vintage buses (as in, public transportation units), which he loved.

Fred never failed to make me laugh. He was always after my cartoons (which I wouldn't let him run with those high-speed intermittents of his). He had the kind of personality that might appear harsh and overbearing at first blush, but he never had me fooled. Inside, he was really a sweetheart. All you had to do was speak with Fred for more than a few minutes to learn he was a great kidder.

I smile when I recall his first words to me, back when I worked at Hadden. Upon learning that *I* was the one who, at 15 years old, had scored a Norelco AAII booth for $500, a booth that Fred had his eye on but failed to submit a bid for... he looked at me incredulous, mouth agape, and snapped, "I DON'T LIKE YOU!" After which, he dramatically turned his head, wheeled around and stormed out of the room.

I rolled! What a character. [Big Grin]

Fred had been going through some health problems of late, and had lost his mother not that long ago - which I'm sure he was still upset about. He had an especially bad time earlier this week at the drive-in, and I hear everyone implored him to check into an emergency room. Unfortunately, he decided to go home instead, where he later died.

You leave us too soon, sweet prince. Rest in peace.

Hamilton native owned area theaters
quote: By Richard O Jones

Staff Writer

Thursday, May 31, 2007

HAMILTON — Fred Baum made movies his life as the owner and operator of several theaters in Butler County, most recently the Holiday Auto Theatre on Old Oxford Road, the very place where he began his career at age 16.

A native and life-long Hamilton resident, Charles "Fred" Baum died in his home Tuesday morning. He was 64.

Baum's career included owning and operating several movie theaters in the area and building the first multi-screen cinema in Oxford.

In the 1980s, he sold all of his operations and retired from the business, but not for long. In 1995, he purchased, restored and renovated the Holiday Auto Theatre for the nostalgia of it, he told the JournalNews.

In 1999, Baum created some controversy when his request to add two screens to the drive-in was denied by the county's board of zoning appeals and he offered to sell the theater to adult entertainment businessman Jimmy Flynt. Baum then sued the county, but lost.

Last year, Baum put the Holiday Auto Theatre up for sale at a list price of $650,000. Calling it "the end of an era," he expected that it would be sold and used for other purposes.

Baum was also known for a fleet of vintage buses that he collected with his business partner, Greg Reinhold. Many of the restored buses are on display at the drive-in.

Memorial services will be held at a later date.

[ 06-01-2007, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Tim Reed ]

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-01-2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small world......I talked to him several times over the years. In the middle 1990's he came as part of a Soundfold drapery crew (with the late founder Art Sickels) on a multiplex job I had sold and installed. He sat on a carpet glue bucket "barking" orders to the crew [Smile]
Holiday Drive In was his passion.....it is a small world, I used to work for Holiday Amusements in the early 1970's which originally owned that property [Cool]

Derek Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2007 09:49 PM      Profile for Derek Maxwell   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked and very sad to hear that my friend is gone. I was making plans with my wife to stop in and visit with Fred and Greg in the next few weeks and while talking to another Drive-in owner, he told me the news. I was very upset to think I would never spend time chatting, laughing, and talking shop with him any more. He will be missed greatly.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-02-2007 06:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh! Fred. What's not to like especially when "there's a snow-white dove ready to be plucked." Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: