Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Happy Birthday Smokey and The Bandit! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy Birthday Smokey and The Bandit!
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

For those who are interested in car chases and hot babes and not bloated sci fi epics, let's pay respect to the #2 grossing film of 1977, Smokey and Bandit. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it at the Southland 68 Drive-in, now gone, in the summer of 1977. One of my favorite movies. It played at that drive-in practically all summer with the second feature changing frequently. I think it may have set attendance records to at the Drive in but not sure about that.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-28-2007 04:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The metallic font in the title on that DVD cover is really hard to read. No wonder the movie was only #2.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-28-2007 04:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time flies! You now frequently see Sally Field advertising "Boniva" on television, for osteoporosis.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-28-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, you're right. Sometimes when I see some actor or actress on tv I think to myself, "Damn he looks old". Next time I pass a mirror and look in, I realize maybe he wasn't so old after all.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-28-2007 09:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original movie one-sheet was much cooler looking than that dumb DVD cover which emphasizes the love story over the action packed car chases. Who thought that up?

Jackie Gleason's "Buford T. Justice" is one of my favorite movie characters of all time.

"Well, thank you Mr. Bandit. And let me say that you are the god-damndest pursuee that I have ever pursued! And now that the mutual bullshit is over....WHERE ARE YOU, YOU SUMBITCH?!"

Probably the best foul-mouthed character to ever hit the screen, with the possible exception of the drill sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket."

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2007 10:27 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2007 09:30 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the original one-sheet on the wall in the booth. One of my all-time favorites.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-29-2007 11:39 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John; Sally once was young and almost HOT. The Boniva thing is only just another reminder of how OLD I am! Isn't she about 64 now? Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's still hot though.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-29-2007 03:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's 61 this year. Would've been 31 when this came out.

She was mightily cute as Frog though...

One of my favorites...we used to get our schedules a month in advance as to what was coming to the Drive-In...there was hardly ever a list we got without Smokey And The Bandit on it. [thumbsup]

There are many scenes of it on you tube for those interested.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-29-2007 05:33 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Saw it at the Southland 68 Drive-in,
Darryl! Remember how Bob Perkins had a drawing every night at intermission, for a free bottle of Coors beer?

I worked a lot of different theatres during the time this movie was released (I even worked one night at the Southland 68 and ran it)- trying to get as much experience as I could, on as many different machines as I could. Every time I'd start at a new theatre, "Smokey and the Bandit" would end up there. I lost count at over 120 times showing this movie -- making changeovers all the way.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-29-2007 09:58 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Darryl! Remember how Bob Perkins had a drawing every night at intermission, for a free bottle of Coors beer?

Tim, I can vaguely remember that......The thing I remember most is sitting on the hood of the car with my dad eating a Parkett Chicken Box.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-29-2007 10:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..Ran "Smokey and the Bandit" at a drive-in that late summer...Yard was always full on wknds...and thx to this movie,...began the craze of CB radio (actually, "Convoy" began the CB craze, but "SB" enhanced it many times over...) and the airwaves were full of: "C'mon, what's your '20" .. Didn't take long for the FCC to drop requiring licenses to operate CB radios..

(We oughta begin a subtopic dedicated to this movie on how many of us have CB handles we can share ... in 1977, since I drove a 1963 Rambler American 440H, I was known as "the Kelvinator Kid")

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-29-2007 10:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
CB handles we can share
Well, I was "Fleetwood Mike" in tribute to my favorite musical group at the time.

CB radios were way cooler than cell phones. They didn't bother people in restaurants, airplanes and movie theatres, and you didn't have to remember any numbers, and there was no limit on how much you could talk. ('Course there was that 3 mile range problem.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: