Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What Will You Do When You Retire? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Will You Do When You Retire?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2007 01:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all plan on being able to retire at a reasonable age but what will you do with your time and how will you use it.

I am planning on retiring at 62 and for one will travel more and spend more time with photography. More hiking and exploring but I will also continue to work in this buisness perhaps a couple of days a week mainly to keep abreast of things and because I happen to enjoy it. I will also continue to be around to harass you guys assuming this place is still around....

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I'd love to retire now - just to get away from this kiddie clown nonsense that I have to contend with at times...lol)

Retire - I'd go into auto restoration of sorts and go at my own pace just to keep myself doing something while the body can still let me - just anything so that a retired body doesn't go stagnant.

And as with Mark, do this service stuff on the side just to keep freshened up.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know; I just can't imagine being retired.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-17-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet,l'm really like Dennis U. in the "growing old" topic: really never thought about retiring since deep inside, I do love this film industry stuff - every day is a different day to where the routine thing in a regular job is non-existent..and the atmosphere if it all make it a real go for me.

It's just that when you work for companies that plays games with numbers and their employees are just there to do these companies a favor in their numbers games where this can be so depressing and makes you want to find somewhere else where the game of playing with numbers isn't the main force in the business, or just get out of it all together and start anew with some other venture.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-17-2007 05:08 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have been retired for about three years now and I am enjoying life here in New York City. I am fortunate that I also own a home in Newport Rhode Island.

I am a volunteer at the Village Nursing home in the Greenwich Village section of New York. I am directly involved in trying to raise money for their Aids program. I am also helping in staging a show which will also help to raise funds for their programs.

I will spend the summer in Newport and will also volunteer somewhere up there to help their citizens to lead a better life.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-17-2007 05:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I'll probably work until I keel over dead (hopefully at a pretty old age).

I don't have any faith programs like Social Security and Medicare will even by around by the time I reach the age of 65, or whatever age is deemed "retirement age" by the time I reach it.

Aside from that problem, I'll probably keep working out of matter of choice. I've seen relatives and others I've known retire and then die off in only a couple or so years. It's important to stay active. My paternal grandfather died a few years ago. A couple years before he died he was treated for prostate cancer. From that point he stopped fishing and doing lots of other things he liked to do. Instead he just sat in his den watching TV all day and allowing his mind to turn to mush.

I'm also reminded of when Univ. of Alabama's famed coach William "Bear" Bryant retired. He wasn't suffering from any major health problems when he coached his last game at the Liberty Bowl at the end of the 1982 season. He died only a month after coaching that game. I was just a kid at that time, but the news of that stuck with me. Retirement sounds a bit scary to me.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-18-2007 01:05 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully spending whatever time I have left with someone who loves me.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-18-2007 01:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'll love ya. Just let me know.
[Wink]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2007 01:12 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't plan on retiring. When the time comes I'll probably drop dead in a theatre doing what I really love.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-18-2007 02:38 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it were only that easy.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-18-2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read a story in the paper last year about a chap who ran a hardware shop in south London. He retired aged 101 (I'm not joking), not because he wanted to, but under intense pressure from his children (one of whom had already predeceased him of, of natural causes), who were worried that his failing eyesight was a safety risk handling sharp and bulky items. He died in his sleep a week after retiring.

I guess I might not want to be working full time once I get to my 60s, but I can't imagine stopping altogether, unless medical issues gave me no choice.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2007 12:57 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got a long time to go yet Leo [Smile]

There was something in the paper recently about Pimlico Plumbers. They're well known for being very smartly turned out, both their staff and their vans. The man who cleans the vans was 100, and still at work.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you know when its time to retire when you no longer have anything in common with the business(s) you work for. The ages 62, 65, 67 have no real bearing unless you hate what you do and can't wait to leave it behind. I'll probably retire from projection before I retire from teaching simply because projection is hard on the knees and its a lot of night work. But as Mark said, a few days a week, or semi-retirement, is always an option. Fact is, at this point in my life I need both jobs to keep food on the table and heat in the house, so I only think about retirement when I'm doing my taxes or investing in my IRA.

quote: Bobby Henderson
I don't have any faith programs like Social Security and Medicare will even by around by the time I reach the age of 65, or whatever age is deemed "retirement age" by the time I reach it.
For me its 2042, which coincidentily is the same year Social Security is projected to go belly up. I believe it will be there, however, based on the notion that many Americans (like my wife, for example) have nothing. I wrote more, but deleted it to keep the discussion non-political.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2007 02:25 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jennifer Pan
If it were only that easy
Jen, sometimes it can be that easy. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2007 04:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
projection is hard on the knees
Due to the ports being high in the wall, our projector sits on a 14"-tall pedestal so it's really at a nice height for threading. Too bad they aren't all that way.

Now carrying film cans up the stairs....THAT'S hard on my knees. I'm sure I have a knee replacement or two somewhere in my future.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: