Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Stateside 8mm to DVD transfer recommendations

Author Topic: Stateside 8mm to DVD transfer recommendations
Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to get several reels from my grandfathers 8mm home movie collection transferred to DVD. Any recommendations on reputable/fair-priced/quality places that I might be able to send it to? What questions do I need to be asking? What should I be expecting to spend? I'm looking for a place in the Seattle/Portland area so that I might be able to hand deliver the original reels, but would be willing to ship it if need be. Anyway, just looking for some thoughts on my project.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Broadsky and Treadway in Rowley, Mass. does good work, but is expensive. Bono Film Lab in Arlington, VA. also has a good reputation for 8mm work.

I've had some 16mm transfers done by Magno Sound in NYC, but I don't know if they can accommodate 8mm.

The transfer to DVD is really a two-stage process: you need to have the film transferred to tape (probably Digi-Beta) and then have a DVD master made from the tape. Video Transfer in Boston can make the master DVDs and the process isn't that expensive if you just want a simple DVD (no menus, etc.). Remember that DVD isn't an archival medium, so be sure to keep the original film and master tape around and stored properly (not in an attic or damp basement).

Expect to spend about $20/minute (running time) for a simple "unsupervised" transfer (no scene-to-scene color or exposure correction) and substantially more for a supervised transfer. The master DVD should cost about $50-100. Duplicate DVDs can be made anywhere (or on your home computer) for very little cost.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
$20/minute for a non-corrected transfer? Clearly I should stop what I am doing and start transfering 8mm like I did years ago!

Check over on the 8mm Forum and see what those boys have to say. They will be up to date on your options.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: