Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My thoughts on growing old. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My thoughts on growing old.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-14-2007 05:23 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half a century ago this very day I entered this world. I know it's silly, as it's only a few hours ago, but I really do feel physically older today than I did yesterday.

They say you're as old as you feel, and I feel about 150. My health has detiorated significantly in the last ten years, and I hate the thought of growing old. The worst thing about it is that there's absolutely nothing that I can do about it.

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-14-2007 06:05 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

I felt exactly the same way you did when I became fifty years old and it was very depressing but you will get over it very quickly. Some of the best things that has happened to me occurred during the last sixteen years after I had past that milestone in my life. Although my body is that of a sixty seven year old man, my mind is that of a thirty year 'young' man. Except for the usual aches and pain, I am in relatively good health and I am very happy. Although I am a semi retired professional photographer, the quality of the work I am producing now is the best that I ever did and it is refreshing when other photographers such as those in your country would invite me to London and want me to share my knowledge with them early next year. The only thing I fear about getting old is to find myself in a nursing home like my eighty eight year old mother and be totally dependant on others to take care of me.

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2007 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
The worst thing about it is that there's absolutely nothing that I can do about it.

Not to shoot you down Stephen but I'm 51... 52 in Sept. and people say that I don't look it. While my health is far from perfect... I am a little overweight, get some aches and pains from too much hiking, and need reading glasses but overall I'm just about as active as when I was 25. I'm always outside doing stuff be it in the desert or mountains and I lug my tools up and down many booth stairs weekly and drive long distances all the time. I think how old you feel is directionally porportional to how well you have taken care of your self over the years. Some of how badly you feel IS reversable if you strive to go that route both physically and mentally.

Cheers!
Mark

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm only 29 (sorry), losing 100 pounds definitely made a difference in the quality of life. I dont sweat anymore just walking up stairs and can fit into a normal wardrobe. If that pic of you is recent, I'd say that dropping some weight would definitely make a difference for you, as a big stomach puts pressure on the lower back, etc.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike is right. Even losing just 20-30 pounds will make a marked improvement in every aspect of your health (physically and mentally). More is even better.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-15-2007 01:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.and I was at my highest peak when I hit 50..summer of 2001-really enjoying where I worked at and was being appreciated on what I was doing to form them.

..then the bottom fell out the following year....and had to take a few steps backwards to continue to move forward..

..I'll be 56 next month - I still love fast sports cars..(just have to watch for out of state police though..they're pretty nasty at times..).

I really admire seen senior citizens driving their Harleys, Goldwings, Corvettes, Camaros, BMW Z-4's, homemade roadsters..anything sporty for you know that they're not ready to call it quits..It's the ones who drives their Caddys and Escalades that doesn't impress me any..

I can still haul 2-four reel cans upstairs with no hitch (damned FOX BOXES are the pits though-have to carry them like carrying a heavy box and not by the handle that kills the hands...), yet it's funny watching kids puff and puff hauling them upstairs..and they have to stop in the middle to catch their breath.

My doc is proud of my heart rate - 112/76 on my last checkup, blood looks great, cholestrol level at a good level, lungs show no cancerous signs from x-rays from my bout with cancer 20 yrs ago...

...it's basically all in the attitude of the individual if they want to live or call it quits when they reach this golden age in our lives..

(only thing on growing in years like this and have been in this industry as long as I've been, only thing that is depressing is that it's sure not the way it used to be...but, we have to live with it and go on ....that's what keeps your job secure due to the owners know that you are taking care of their businesses..)

...not ready for the rocking chair yet..

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-15-2007 07:55 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I hate the thought of growing old. The worst thing about it is that there's absolutely nothing that I can do about it.
Stephen, I'm 45 and I've been having those feelings for at least 3 years now. [Frown]

Losing weight does improve that outlook, and helped significantly with the aches and pains (though, I need to better get back on that wagon - frequent falling-off is too damned discouraging).

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 05-15-2007 08:30 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's a bitch getting old. I'm turning 63 this year and could only muster 75 days skiing the bumps this year. Aches and pains? You betchum, but not enough to stop me from playing golf on Wednesday or buying next year's season ski pass in July.

It does take a while and produces some groans when getting off the floor after changing out a lower spindle or rack amp, but it sure beats the alternative.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-15-2007 08:50 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be 68 next month but I feel like I am in great shape.I work out in the Gym at least 5 days a week and sometimes seven I also walk a minimum of 5 miles a day in and around New York City. My wife is 65 and works out with me.

My greatest joy is having my grandchilden visit and spend time with us in the city.I enjoy being retired but I still stay in touch with my friends in the industry.

I feel healthy and strong and I look forward to many more years.

Semper Fi!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2007 05:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 33 (I think... I forget sometimes), but I feel like a 27-year-old young'un due to my crazy-strict diet and the fact that I work out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I haven't even had my first face lift yet!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-15-2007 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 50 but I don't really think I feel much different than I did in my late 20s. My eyes ain't what they used to be and the hair is starting to turn, but not much else has changed. The best part is, several of the women I used to date (who dumped me) have told me I keep looking better as I get older. I think some of them now regret dumping me, which gives me great satisfaction.

I would suggest, to feel and look good, in addition to all the stuff mentioned above, STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE SUN or use a good sunscreen. I know people my age (sun worshippers) who look 60 or more, and my brother in law (my age) has just had his first bout with skin cancer.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-15-2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike; thanks for sharing! I have noticed this also with the women I know from long ago.

I'm 58 and feel better now than I have since I was 17. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-15-2007 07:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old proverb you are as old as who you feel [Big Grin]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-16-2007 07:00 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, LOL! [Big Grin]

Louis and Mike: I've had early "payoffs" in this respect. It might've taken a year or two, but every girl who ever dumped me (except one) tried to come back.

Of course, once bitten, twice shy. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I used to have a gal in every town that I serviced.... till I got married.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: