Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Latest Windows Updates may be seriously breaking things for some users

Author Topic: Latest Windows Updates may be seriously breaking things for some users
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2007 09:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mcse.ms/message2527286.html

Automatic updates wreaking havoc on my network
I have 6 (and counting) computer having issues with SVCHOST process running
at near 100% cpu utilization. Disabling Automatic Updates resolves the
issue. WTF did Microsoft just release? It took one guy nearly 30 minutes
just to log on. Anyone else having this issue?
Post Follow-up to this message

TKovacs

#2 Today, 06:16 PM
Oldsurferjoe
RE: Automatic updates wreaking havoc on my network
Yes I am with a laptop. Same issue!

Something is definitely up
(the thread continues with other suggested workarounds)

This started on my home system last night. Today it happened to two users at work. Then I got a call from a guy working at home having the same problem.

As noted in the link, a quick fix is to disable Automatic Updates. Another workaround is to isolate the wuauserv process to its own instance of svchost.exe. Normally wuauserv shares one instance of svchost.exe with a whole bunch of other stuff, so if you kill that svchost.exe in Task Manager, it has a lot of possible side effects.

To isolate wuauserv to its own svchost.exe:

"sc config wuauserv type= own"

The space in front of " own" is critical. You can put it back to shared mode with:

"sc config wuauserv type= share"

The space in front of " share" is critical again.

This isn't a permanent fix, just a workaround that allows you to kill the offending svchost.exe task without breaking any other essential tasks.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I automatic updated my main home PC (running XP Pro) yesterday evening, and immediately after rebooting installed the drivers for a new printer. It took effin' ages to install - between 20 and 30 minutes before it even gave me the 'plug her in now' window. After the three or four reboots that were necessary to complete the process the computer now runs fine, but I wonder if that update slowed down the installation of the printer driver for some reason.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was just me (maybe anomalies piling up after too many tweaks or something) - I'm goin' back to my Commodore 64.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't turned on my desktop for windows in some time. Guess I know something to look for when I finally do it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 06:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These two updates together have fixed 2 out of 2 screwed up systems I tried them on today. Also installed these on 2 systems that were already working fine, and they didn't seem to do any harm. Neither of these seems to be a part of the regular Windows Update offerings (yet).

Windows Update Agent 3.0 (referenced here)

KB927891 Patch

Hopefully these will fix my home system, won't know until later tonight.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-10-2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the last two updates on both my home and work computers and haven't had any ill effects. But we have at least a few employees at the office who suddenly today have all sorts of funky stuff going on, so something's up.

Makes me wonder if somebody came up with something malicious that can actually integrate itself into a Windows update, and it's affecting users who previously downloaded something it was tied into.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-10-2007 07:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I have an illegally and immorally pirated version of Windows XP. Microsoft's servers don't see it as "legit" and won't update it. At least I assume...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-10-2007 09:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those 2 updates fixed the problem on my home PC.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-10-2007 11:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I am running licensed versions of XP on a couple of machines here that I use daily and I've had no issues. Automatic updates are turned on too.

Must be operator error. [Razz]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-11-2007 02:55 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Makes me wonder if somebody came up with something malicious that can actually integrate itself into a Windows update,
Microsoft employees?

quote: Brad Miller
I dunno, I am running licensed versions of XP on a couple of machines here that I use daily and I've had no issues. Automatic updates are turned on too.

Must be operator error. [Razz]

Now, now. Remember what trashed this server last August? Freakin Windows Updates. There's a reason why I run WSUS in even the smallest corporate (and some home) environments.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-11-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I am running licensed versions of XP on a couple of machines here that I use daily and I've had no issues. Automatic updates are turned on too.
Same here...three machines at the store, two at the theatre and one at home...all auto-updated, no problems.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-11-2007 04:05 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My policy has been, generally, don't update ever unless you need to.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: