Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Apple Cinema Display monitors on a PC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Apple Cinema Display monitors on a PC
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2007 08:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a PC as well as a G5. I currently am running 3 screens off of the PC via a Matrox P750 video card. I don't know what the G5 has in it.

I have two of these 3 monitors hooked through a dual head KVM switch. The third monitor goes directly to the PC's third video output.

I am considering switching over to two of the Apple Cinema Display monitors.

I know the monitors should work fine with the G5...but what about the PC? Mr. Redifer thinks the info on the Apple link above is probably outdated or simply untested with other types of cards. Does anyone have any specific experience?

Also any recommendations for a dual head DVI KVM?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2007 11:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going with the 30-inch model you'll have to get video cards and a KVM switch that support dual-link dvi (note that dual-dvi is NOT dual-link dvi).

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2007 11:51 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that there's a 50" ACD coming out soon... that will be pretty cool.

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2007 12:00 AM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most DVI monitors, up to 24", use a differential pair for red, a differential pair for green, and a differential pair for blue.

Dual data link, used by the 30" LCDs, adds three extra pairs of wires to increase the available bandwidth over the DVI cable without having to keep increasing the bandwidth over each pair.

Unless your video card explicitly says it does dual data link, it probably doesn't. Unless it explicitly says it does dual data link on both ports, it may only do so on one; when dual data link cards first came out, one brand was shipping cards that only did dual data link on one port, the other did dual data link on both. You might want to double check exactly what your G5 has.

The specs on the Matrox card explicitly list `` Digital, 1-2 monitors: 1920 x 1200'' as the max resolution, which looks to me like it's incompatible with the 30" LCD monitors. (The 30" LCD monitors generally do not have analog inputs at all.)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-09-2007 12:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if he's going for one of the smaller cinema displays he won't need dual-link.

The 20" and 23" don't.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2007 06:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am going for the 30", and yes I am aware the P750 card will have to be tossed.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for a KVM or video card?

Thanks for the info on the dual-data!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2007 08:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the cards that have two dual-link DVI connectors seem to be for PCI Express bus, but I suppose that most people wanting to use two monitors that need it are likely to have a newish pc, that probably has it.

Those are nice monitors, but a bit beyond my price range at the moment, though they have come down by about 25% since they were introduced. I've got one of the older 22 inch cinema displays which use a ADC connector, basically DVI+power+USB over one cable, so I have to use an adapter to connect it to a pc. The new ones are standard DVI, and so can connect directly to a pc but I think I remember that there's still a single cable going to the monitor that breaks out into separate power USB and DVI connectors at the other end, so the cable is permanently attached to the monitor. However, if you need to extend this, any additional DVI cable has to be dual-link capable as well. There are three rows of pins; if each row has two sets of three pins with a gap between then it's single-link. If each row has two extra pins, making a total of eight pins in each row, then it should be dual link, but I have seen cables with all the pins which are not. There's a large flat blade at one end, if there are four small pins grouped around this then it's DVI-I, which carries analogue signals as well; if those extra pins are not there then it's DVI-D, which only carries the digital signals.

There is something that looks like DVI, but longer, with ten pins in each row; this is M1, EVC or P+D, which also carries USB and Firewire connections. They are mainly used as inputs to projectors. Adapters to standard DVI are available.

The Apple ADC also has the extra pins in each row like M1, but the outer shell of the connector has rounded ends, and it uses clips rather than screws to hold it in.

Then there's DFP, now obsolete, but still found on some older equipment, which uses the same signals as single-link DVD-D, but on a different connector.

Open LVI is totally different, and is used by some older Silicon Graohics monitors. It needs a 'Multilink adapter' to convert standard DVI or VGA signals for use with it.

Apple are notorious for the number of different monitor connections that they've used over the years; I have an old shoe box at home completely full of various adapters.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-09-2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some reviews on the Apple 30" Studio Cinema Display monitor complained about a general lack of adjustment capability when hooked to a Windows-based PC. I don't know if Apple has done anything to correct that issue, but it was there when they first started selling their monitors with standard PC-compatible DVI connectors.

As much as a 30" widescreen computer monitor costs, I would definitely read up about the new Samsung and Hewlett Packard 30" monitors as well as the one Dell has been selling. The HP unit has received some high marks, although it has a price tag about as expensive as the Apple 30" monitor.

Dell also has a new 27" monitor with faster response time and deeper color gamut range, but it has a 1920 X 1200 native resolution instead of 2560 X 1600.

Most modern high-ish end video cards featuring two dual-DVI outputs ought to work well for connecting two 30" monitors. I'm not sure what the memory requirements are for doing that (I'm thinking 256MB on the card may not be enough).

A motherboard with two PCI-X 16-lane slots (mainly for SLI) would allow you the capability using two dual-head graphics boards. You would have four dual-DVI outputs -naturally after spending some serious cash.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2007 07:26 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Does anyone have any specific recommendations for a KVM or video card?
If you have about $450 to burn, the 2x1 DVi DL Switcher from Gefen Inc. may be just the ticket. I have one at work to share a 30" Cinema Display and keyboard between a PowerMac G5 and a Dell Dimension PC and, other than the R/C going bad, the switcher works well. I equipped the Dimension with an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro graphics card to handle the big screen.

FWIW, I tried the 30-incher with standard DVI video cards on the PC and, while it worked for a short while at a lower resolution, the image deteriorated into a snowy, split-screened mess. No joke, that dual-link card is necessary!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is worth noting that you don't need to set your PC's refresh rate above 60Hz with an LCD monitor like the ACD. The Mac won't let you change the refresh rate because it knows when it is hooked up to an ACD, but a PC might not. Raising the refresh rate will do nothing except make Windows less awesome.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-09-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that even possible?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-27-2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So here's a new question. I am hearing from some people that Dell's 30" equivalent is a superior product, and by superior I am referring to still image "reference" quality. (Not interested in gaming.) Any input?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-27-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some of those reviews. Tom's Hardware rated the Dell 30" monitor a better product than Apple's offering. However, they rated the new HP 30" monitor to be better than Dell's. Really, the best LCD monitor Dell makes right now is that new 27" unit.

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2007 10:08 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the 24" and 27" displays are both 1920x1200 pixels. I find the pixels plenty big on the 24" monitor, and don't see why I'd want to pay more money for a bigger monitor with the same number of pixels.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-28-2007 12:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 27" monitor has a signal response rate of only 6 milliseconds, compared to the 12 ms rating for Dell's 30" model. The 24" monitor is claimed to also have a 6 ms rating, but product reviews have stated otherwise. The color display quality of the 27" monitor is quite a bit better than Dell's 24" and 30" models, making it more suitable for viewing video content like DVDs and other material.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: