Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Telluride 2006 Film Festival Pics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Telluride 2006 Film Festival Pics
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-08-2007 02:00 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Brad's having some fun with us. Or maybe it's the pain meds. [Wink]

quote:
The Abel Gance featured the best projection "team" in the 2006 Telluride Film Festival, comprised single-handedly of Gary Stanley.
quote:
The Chuck Jones Theater featured the best projection team in the 2006 Telluride Film Festival. Bruce Mazen, Peter Halter, Ryan G. Smith, Ian Price.
quote:
The Galaxy featured the best projection team in the 2006 Telluride Film Festival. "The Reel" Bill Hill, Joel Rice, Brad Jones and Dean Silver.
quote:
The Masons Hall featured the best projection team in the 2006 Telluride Film Festival. John Gadja, Brad Miller, Graef Allen and Barbara Grassia.
quote:
The Nugget featured the best projection team in the 2006 Telluride Film Festival. Booth Chief Payal Doctor, Mark Schoenveld, Nugget Owner Luci Reeve who only does projection for the Fest, and Scott Snare.
quote:
Unfortunately even though the Opera House featured the best projection team in the 2006 Telluride Film Festival, the team was unable to assemble for a photo.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 05-08-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know.... I've asked all the operators in those booths and I believe they feel the comments under those pix are absolutely accurate.

There are still two more booths to go. Anyone want to bet against them getting similar captions?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I better change the captions for the Palm or the La Pierre now. [evil]

Fact of the matter is everyone there is pretty good. It is definitely a festival like no other.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-08-2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People are just now catching on with these captions?

Anyway I remember watching some random movie in the Opera House. I was towards the back of the theater in one of the sideways chairs against the wall. I've gotta say, those seats really need to be removed. My neck hurt like a BITCH for hours afterwards. I would like to kick the person in the testes who thought to put those seats there like that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-08-2007 06:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet I didn't watch anything at last year's festival.

There was just nothing that interested me. I didn't want to sit and watch a depressing movie, and that was mostly what was programmed. That's my only real beef was the emo programming. The town and the people working the festival are fantastic though, so I found my entertainment without watching the movies.

(Hey Jim, any chance of getting some "less serious" films in there this year? [Razz] )

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-08-2007 07:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually none of the movies sound very intriguing to me (I like movies with explosions), but the year that I was there I managed to watch at least 3 at the coaxing of Ian. 2 of them were actually really good. The other was some depressing Italian thing in the Opera House.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how does one (with the "right stuff," of course) become a member of one of the "best" projection teams at Telluride? Do you start as a Production Apprentice?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2007 09:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You ask. I don't think any "qualifications" are necessary, especially since many of the people ONLY ever project at the festival itself. They even let Ian project.

Looking at the PALM pictures, I am convinced that there is some law in Telluride that reads something like "It is required by law to have sideways-facing seats in auditoriums to comply with our other law of hating people and wanting to make them as uncomfortable as humanly possible".

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-15-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would be lucky to get on the projection staff as all these people are very, very good. No one does it for the money, that's for sure.

Jim Bedford has a number of sayings, but his best is
"You're not being paid enough to have a bad time".

My other favorite is "If it rains, we'll let it".

They kind of go downhill from there. Kidding!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2007 09:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my answer is far more accurate.

To be honest, I really didn't enjoy working the festival very much. It wasn't as fun as my 16-screen.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-16-2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're crazy, Joe. The special-event stuff is what makes this business interesting. The gigaplexes are continuing along their path to self-destruction with crappy presentation and obnoxious advertising, combined with bad movies. Not to mention that the job is almost always unappreciated.

I don't think that anyone could afford to pay me enough to step into a 16-plex booth again, but I do enjoy doing film and video projection for festivals and special engagements. It's a chance to do something out of the ordinary, see interesting films, meet the filmmakers, and put on a real show (often in older, classier theatres with curtains instead of slide/video advertising). What's not to like?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-16-2007 03:46 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your running screening room duty, it's like working a film festival every day of the week at work. [thumbsup] [beer]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-16-2007 04:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
It's a chance to do something out of the ordinary, see interesting films, meet the filmmakers, and put on a real show (often in older, classier theatres with curtains instead of slide/video advertising).
My 16-screen had curtains. And older, "classier" theaters often means much poorer presentation since they were designed to look "grand" and all of that nonsense. The sound will usually suck balls, the picture will be tiny and the keystoning from the extreme angle of the throw will be unacceptable. Personally I'd rather watch a VHS tape recorded in EP (and dubbed 6 times) than watch a show in a theater like that. Visual accouterments matter not when the lights are down.

Fortunately Telluride's theaters aren't too "fancy", at least not when I was there. But they did feature non-sloped seating in many of the venues, which doesn't exactly enhance the enjoyability of watching a movie there. Still, the festival gig is not for me. The Denver Film Festival was much worse, as it has some of the most horribly maintained equipment ever, plus the auditoriums were tiny with no presentation value whatsoever. My living room was bigger.

I knew hearts would be broken and bitter tears would fall if I mentioned things like this. I was right.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-17-2007 07:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To each, his own, I guess. I enjoy festivals and special events and the challenge of putting on a great show under non-ideal conditions, as well as working with people who appreciate the work. It's nice to have a chance to show quality films (true, 50% of typical festival material is crap, but there are always some gems) and, often, meet the filmmakers as well (some are great, some are jerks). It's nice to hear a director say that his film has never looked better.

That said, I can understand why you feel that absolute picture and sound quality will often be better in a modern multiplex than in a typical festival venue.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2007 01:54 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Scott. Film festivals and special screenings have that certain je ne sais quoi (French for "if you don't know what this phrase means, you don't know" [Big Grin] ) that is missing from regular showings. It is a real test of man (or woman) and machine.

If it wasn't for other commitments I'd love to help run Telluride. To me, having run local film festivals in a platter house, running changeovers would be a walk in the park. And I'd have no qualms about the level of presentation quality possible from their venues, even the locations running well-tuned fifty-year-old Brenkerts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: