Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows Vista/Acer Notebook woes

Author Topic: Windows Vista/Acer Notebook woes
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2007 12:22 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, another technical question...

I have an Acer TravelMate TM2480-2247 Notebook and Windows Vista Home Premium.

When I play MP3s on this computer in Windows Media Player (Adobe Audition is fine, not too sure about Windows Media Centre) the tracks skip a bit, and then eventually, the track skips (like a stabbing knife) and I have to hold the power button down the shut down the computer.

I have 1GB and 512mb of RAM, 120GB hard drive (aftermarket harddrive upgrade and 1GB of ram aftermarket).

Could this be a software problem or something like that?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-08-2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all MP3 files you try to play glitch out in Windows Media Player, or just ones that you're encoding in Adobe Audition?

If any MP3 file you try has playback errors then there could be something wrong with your Windows Media Player installation. That could especially be true if the same MP3 files play fine in other MP3 playback utilities.

OTOH, I have a hunch you may not have enough memory in that notebook. I don't think 1GB of RAM is enough for running Vista and any multimedia programs. I think 2GB is the real starting point.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2007 01:38 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its for any MP3 file. I can run and manipulate audio in Audition fine.

I changed the buffer rate from default to 25, and it ran a song looped twice fine, so could this be something?

I do have plans to go up to 2GB, I'm just saving for school right now and money's a little tight at the moment.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2007 10:57 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I have problems again, and even in WinAmp or whatever which just installed.

I can put audio into Audition and use it just fine, but I can't run the media players.

I'm thinking I should maybe put the factory HD back in and take it in as a warranty repair.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-10-2007 11:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems particularly strange that you can play audio files within Audition fine, but are running into problems with much smaller music audio utilities like WinAmp and Windows Media Player.

I don't use Audition a great deal, but I am pretty aware that it can create some really HUGE audio files. Any kind of multi-track audio editor that deals with numerous uncompressed LPCM audio streams is going to have some rather ballooned work files. It can be potentially as demanding of system resources as working with HD video.

I'm still suspecting some sort of glitch with Windows Media Player and even WinAmp (as well as an issue with lack of system memory). Is WinAmp truly Vista compatible? I know certain Adobe applications, even in the CS3 generation, are not entirely Vista friendly -which is why I have no plans to move on to Vista until I absolutely have to do so.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: