Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A band that you live for (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: A band that you live for
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 06:37 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, my favourite band is putting out a new album after a four year hiatus.

This band has gotten me through a lot since I started listening to them, which was with the critically acclaimed album Mechanical Animals that they put out in 1998.

If that's not obvious enough, its Marilyn Manson (they're a band). I've been listening for 9 years, and I was 11 when I picked up the CD. That album still sounds fresh and original to me, and still helps me get through rough patches (I'm turning 20 this year, so I still have a little angst in me [Razz] )

What's your favourite band that you live for? Please don't contribute unless you have one single favourite band.

What do they do for you?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 07:20 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont really "live" for any band... but the band that always puts me in a good mood is ABBA... either them or Kiss (pre 1983, though some of their non makeup stuff was good).

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-01-2007 07:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely the Bee Gees. I love the "just been kicked in the nuts" sound of their singers.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 08:28 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alice in Chains was that band for me. They got me through those tough teens years like you are talking about. I never got to see them live. I was bummed as hell when Layne Staley overdosed. Can't say I was surprised but I hated to see another talented musician die from a heroin overdose. The shame of it all was that he was dead for two weeks before anyone even found him. He had alienated all of his friends and family because of his addiction.

I was a big fan of the Seattle grunge music that emerged in the early 90's when I was in high school. Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, Mad Season and Soundgarden to name a few. I dug out the old Alice in Chains cd's a few weeks back and have been listening to them since. [thumbsup]

-

[ 05-01-2007, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 09:19 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Favorite band is a local Boston Based "Hardcore" Punk Rock band (Hardcore is a mix between punk and metal) Blood For Blood named after an early 90's movie. Blood For Blood is an asian term and basically means the same as an eye for an eye.

I like this band because they sing about the reality of life, and what it feels like to be the underdog or outcast in society which is refreshing truth compared to the songs about "Bling" and how big the rims on your SUV are from other forms of music.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-01-2007 09:42 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
the band that always puts me in a good mood is ABBA
MIKE! Ya beat me to it, brother! [Smile]

Oh, Agnetha, baby... you are SO my dream girl! [swoon]
Mmmm. Sing to me, lover!
 -

Even today... gorgeous as ever.
 -

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2007 09:44 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm Agnetha.... too bad she's such a recluse... I bet she's the one holding back on the reunion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2007 10:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 70s/80s I was totally into Fleetwood Mac. But unlike most people my age, I wasn't a big Stevie Nicks-aholic...I worshipped Christine McVie. She wrote more hits for the Mac than anyone else, Nicks included. I still love her voice, very sultry.

I saw them at their 1997 reunion concert. Some friends and I drove 650 miles to the show, and just before Christine performed "Songbird," she said: "We've been told that a lot of people came a long way for the show tonight. This one's for you." It seemed like she was singing just to our group. It was a very cool moment in an extremely good concert.

By the way: I think Redifer is slamming the Bee Gees there, but they still made some damn good music no matter what anyone says.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-01-2007 10:22 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bee Gees are a close second in my book. Nobody was hotter than they were! They dominated the charts. As with ABBA, whenever I hear their music, I'm instantly transported back to my youth.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-01-2007 11:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanni! No wait, the Carpenters. Umm, of course ABBA kicks much ass. But wait there's the Chipmunks to consider...or Hanson! (They're both the same.) Oh geez, so many great bands, how do I decide which one keeps me living?

Seriously, "live for"??? Nobody is that good.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-02-2007 04:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suicide is the only answer.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-02-2007 04:46 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brokeback (and NOT mounting) Brad
Seriously, "live for"??? Nobody is that good.
I agree! But I do like:

ABBA, KISS, ELO, and Jive Bunny! Yea!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2007 01:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
No wait, the Carpenters.
Scoff if you will, but the Carpenters were not only the biggest selling duo in history but are getting a lot more respect these days as younger folks discover them. Karen Carpenter had one of the best and most recognizable voices in music history, and Richard was no slouch as a producer/arranger.

There was a story in Rolling Stone during their heyday that described a young girl, dying of cancer, who dreamed of seeing a Carpenters show. The group arranged for her to see the show, and she died soon after. So, it is possible to live for your favorite band.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a particular band that I am a fan of is "The Art of Noise". The early to late 1980's (1983-1989) stuff from this band was awesome. But, the first two albums (Into The Battle & Who's Afraid of The Art of Noise?) were and still are excellent. Since then, I've been able to collect remixes of their music. This band really got me through some wonderful times, esepcially going dancing on the weekends and DJ'ing as well. Today, this band still gets me going, including while working in the booth. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-02-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying the Carpenters were better than Captain & Tennille??? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: