Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film-Tech RSS Feed

Author Topic: Film-Tech RSS Feed
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 10:34 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this something that is in the works?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-20-2007 12:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't see why. It'd be as eventful as the podcast.

Also, does anyone know what "RSS" stands for?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 05:49 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew you would want the COMPLETE answer, Joe:

From the Wikipedia:

quote:

* RSS (file format), Really Simple Syndication, Rich Site Summary or RDF Site Summary, several similar forms of web syndication used by news websites and weblogs
* Radio Service Software, a proprietary suite of programs sold by Motorola
* Relay Spam Stopper, a Spam Blacklist run by Mail-abuse.org[1], operated by MAPS (owned by Trend Micro)
* Resident Set Size or Resident Segment Size, a measurement of RAM usage; represents actual physical RAM being used
* Random Shutdown Syndrome, a phenomenon affecting MacBook notebooks which overheat and shut down without warning

Mathematics

* Root-sum-square, the square root of the sum of the squares of the elements of a data set. To perform this operation, which is called "taking the RSS": square each of the elements, add up the results, and take the square root of the total. Used colloquially to refer to the magnitude of a vector. Compare this to root mean square.

Technology

* Range Safety System, used in the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster and other systems
* Reduced Space Symbology, the former name of GS1 DataBar, an approved barcode of GS1
* Road Sensing Suspension, a part of the Northstar System brand of General Motors automotive technology
* Roland Sound Space by Roland Corporation
* Rotating Service Structure, used in the Space Shuttle program launches
* Robotics Science and Systems Conference. http://www.robotics-conference.org/

Science

* Recombination signal sequences, in immunological genetics, direct somatic recombination of gene segments
* Residual sum of squares, in regression models

Medicine

* Repetitive strain injury, also Repetitive stress syndrome, an overuse syndrome
* Russell-Silver syndrome

Society

* Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, a right wing Hindu nationalist organization in India.
* Recruiting Sub-Station, a satellite office of a main military recruiting station.
* Regional Spatial Strategy provides a regional level planning framework for the regions of England
* Regional Security System, an agreement between several countries situated in the Eastern Caribbean region. The RSS acts as a unit made up of a series of defence and disaster management forces.
* Religious and Social Studies, a subject offered in many secondary schools in the United Kingdom
* Royal Statistical Society, the main professional body for statisticians in the UK
* Rural Sociological Society

* Rochester Subway, which had the AAR reporting mark, RSS
* Rockdale, Sandow and Southern Railroad, which currently has the AAR reporting mark RSS

Agency

* Rastriya Samachar Samiti, the national news agency of Nepal.

School

* Red Swastika School, Singapore

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-20-2007 07:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. That's why I asked... which of those many terms does RSS stand for when it is used in the context of Paul's post? Or maybe it's like DVD which officially doesn't stand for anything, so they say.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 08:25 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Paul's case, this application stands for Really Simple Syndication. Say, if Paul is interested in those photos of old projection booths that Monte occasionally posts, he would put in the particulars in Film Tech's RSS field. Then, when Monte posts a picture of his booth again, Paul gets a notice on his desktop that reads "Monte has done it again."
It's more commonly used for news, blogs, job listings, personals, anything particular to the specific user. It involves downloading a program in one's computer which costs around $20 or $30, and if it's as memory-challenged as mine, would slow down the computer to a crawl. [Frown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-21-2007 12:16 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey James, not to change the subject, but you should watch Extreme Makeover: the Home Edition this Sunday evening. There's a pretty cool kid who has the same name as you featured on that show. ABC. 7pm Central.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-21-2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Misleading title thread; I thought we all were being invited to dinner. [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2007 12:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(..lol...maybe I should add more pics of old booths then to fill Paul's infobase up some more...)  -

Seems that when one click's on any RSS link that it shows a description of the link showing all of the codes...

[ 04-22-2007, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2007 02:39 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how well RSS would work for film-tech. What I've seen of RSS suggests that it generally shows new articles, but comments on those articles don't result in new RSS entries. That's reasonable-ish for blogs where the initial poster thinks they already have most of the answers, but on film-tech, the most recent comments are often more interesting than the original post, such as when knowlegeable technicians are posting answers to a simple question.

If you had a new RSS entry for every post to every thread, I think that would get pretty overwhleming pretty quickly.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,
one of these days I will learn to fire up my computer daily...
I missed the show. [Frown]
Did something happen to my namesake's house, or was he one of Ty's helpers?
I'll be on the lookout for re-runs...
(I once Google-searched my own name and discovered that another name-sake is a gallery artist in New York. He's a handsome fellow.)
Monte...
The late H. Darwin Barnes, my mentor, once operated a booth like the one pictured. [Smile] He once had a huge collection of the sound discs but his mother-in-law threw them out and literally paved the alley with them...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: