Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Drive-In Movie Documentary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Drive-In Movie Documentary
Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 08:07 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the current trailer : "OZOWNERS: A Drive-In Movie"

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 12:52 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed that, thanks for posting the link!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 02:43 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve

Is that your own documentary? When does it come out and how do we get one?

Thanks

John

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 07:21 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The doc was produced by two guys Adam Grossberg and Ari Phillips.
I heard of them from a friend who saw the film thye submitted to the local film festival last October, but haven't heard on the progress of releasing or selling any DVD's. This looks like a good documentary and was wondering what happened to these guys. You can find their website here: Irrelephant productions

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-19-2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As one who is working (slowly) on a short documentary that has something to do with a drive-in theatre (note the camera in front of me in my member photo), I'd like to see this. Unfortunately, this has two strikes against it from the outset: a) the drive-in doc thing has been done (well) before and this doesn't seem to offer much in the way of original content and b) it is clearly shot with cheap video equipment, which is not appropriate given the subject matter. Even super-8 would be more appropriate.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 04:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think any documentation of Drive-Ins is fantastic. Be it Beta-max, VHS or Super-8.

Look forward to yours too, Scott.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-19-2007 07:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
...it is clearly shot with cheap video equipment, which is not appropriate given the subject matter.
Sorry Scott, I disagree. It looks to be of high quality video and it really doesn't matter what media it's produced on.

That being said, I hope the heck they get someone else to edit the doc. Their trailer is a BIG POS! What a bunch of crap! It sure doesn't make me want to watch their doc. They come across as "wannabe" filmmakers.

In all seriousness, they should hire Mark Strube to re-cut that trailer from all available material. At least Mark has a clue of what it takes to create an interest.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, shhhh we dont want this thread to turn into 30 pages dissecting Mark's editorial capabilities. [Big Grin]

Speaking of movie documentaries, whatever happened to the one shot on 16mm? The director was on the site a few years ago asking for references of people to interview, but I haven't heard of any update since.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-19-2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Mike. I don't know WTF I was thinking! I guess I was smokin' some of that Rockwall I-30 stuff... [Wink] [Razz]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 08:36 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
Speaking of movie documentaries, whatever happened to the one shot on 16mm?
Behind the Glass?

This question keeps popping up here about every two years. The Web site is still very much up even though nothing has been updated since 2004. I certainly hope the project is just in hiatus, not abandoned. [Frown]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-19-2007 11:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Phil, but I really think that the medium _is_ important in this case. If you were writing a book about the art of typesetting, would you use Microsoft Word and Times New Roman? Probably not, unless you were trying to make a point about how that combination often produces ugly and hard to read text. In any case, they should get a DP who understands what a tripod is and how to use it...I think that pretty much every shot in the trailer was handheld for no reason.

(For what it's worth, I shot my project on 16mm, and prints will available in 35mm as well. It's just a 5-6 minute short, though. It should be done in 6-12 months. Maybe. We'll see. In any case, Brad has agreed to post it here when it's done.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2007 01:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap video is cheap video any way you slice it Phil. Just look at how much of the footage is burned. [Razz]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That trailer is too long. Indeed it does need more editing.

Also I noticed that most of the people and vehicles shown going to the movies seemed to look like...well...trailer trash? Surely there are some more attractive people going to the drive in. I don't think I'm reaching for the stars here (to quote Miranda Priestly).

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-20-2007 09:41 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, your analogy makes NO sense! I guess, by you, if I were writing an article or book about a Linotype machine, I should use one to print it? JFC!

The media of the doc doesn't matter...it's the content that's relevant and important!

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2007 01:28 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott I think your views are a bit strong from a viewer's perspective!!! Perfect however as a producer's perspective.
If you are going to go to the trouble of making a film, you should do it properly and aim for the finest looking and most nostalgic results.

Im looking forward to seeing your work when its finished. I must admit I'm also looking forward to actually seeing this trailer, I have only been able to hear it so far. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: