Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What's a "Wynnsong"?

Author Topic: What's a "Wynnsong"?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 11:28 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that some Carmike locations are called "Carmike Wynnsong". What is a "Wynnsong"? Was it another operator? Is it a sub brand? What is different from a normal Carmike?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-18-2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "Wynnsong" thing is kind of similar to Cinemark putting a "Tinseltown" name on some of their theaters. It doesn't really mean much of anything. The only obvious purpose I see to it is theater differentiation in cities that have more than one Carmike location.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it actually has something to do with one of the Patrick's first names. Carl Patrick and his son, Michael, formed the Carmike name out of the combination of their two names. I think Michael may have a son named Wynn. So, he named some of the theatres after him. I personally think it would have been fun to combine all three names... Carmikewynn (sound kinda like a countertop)

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-18-2007 09:24 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've often heard that "Wynn" is supposed to be Michael Patrick's son. But it's apparently also Michael's middle name.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-19-2007 12:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard too that it's a family name. I have wondered where they get the "song" part from though.

As a theatre name I've always hated it. It sounds...I don't know...too Wynnsongy?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 12:23 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wynn Patrick is indeed Micheal Patrick's son. He is also head of Carmike's Alternate Content Department.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 06:08 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
Alternate Content Department
X-rated features?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 12:33 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bascially anything that can be shown using Carmike's digital projectors that isn't 'mainstream'-ie concerts, special engagements, sporting events, business meetings, etc.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cory Isemann
X-rated features?
Carmike Cinemas won't even book NC-17 or "unrated" movies (much less book anything that would feature Jenna Jameson doing things illegal in a number of states). Seriously, they are testing out religious broadcasts at a number of locations.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 02:00 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since most of Carmike's theatres are in middle America, this may prove to be lucrative.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2007 12:29 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike is realizing that the writing is on the wall for 35, at least for their own company, so they are strategically moving toward becoming 'special entertainment' venues....

Quite possibly one of the brightest decisions the company has ever made, and likely, the entire concept was brought about by Wynn.. who has used his influence, and youth, to help take the company to another level in the 'entertainment' industry...

At least that's my opinion...

And yes, Wynnsong was named after Wynn Patrick when Wynn was a small child...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: