Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Two questions: Are notebooks and PDAs still OK on planes? And, what to do in Chicago? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Two questions: Are notebooks and PDAs still OK on planes? And, what to do in Chicago?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-17-2007 08:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first may seem like a silly question, but it's been more than 1 year since I last traveled by plane with a notebook, and rules change all the time. Can I still take it, but not use it? What about PDAs like the Dell Axim my IE-35 is running on? I don't like to put these into the tool case.

And, since I will be flying into Chicago and then visit customers in Illinois and Michigan, I won't have much time in Chicago itself, but maybe I can squeeze in a few hours during the trip to check out the Windy City at little. I have never been there.
What I am mostly interested in isn't really touristy stuff, but sights to see and do which are truly representative of a place, which show its unique face and character.
Since I won't have much time anyway, I want to concentrate on just getting a good first impression of Chicago.
Where "do the locals go" at night? Chicago used to be famous for its Jazz club scene. Are there still authentic clubs left or is it all overpriced pseudo-chic now? And where can I inhale true samples of the famous pizza?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-17-2007 08:52 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can take them on. They'll just run it through an x-ray and check for explosives.

Though they may ask you to turn it off during takeoff, due to the mistaken belief that laptops make the airplane's communications go dead. In reality, they've tested this and communications don't fail from laptops or any other electronics. The belief stems from once where a plane's communications went dead and the only thing they could attribute it to was laptops but this was a long time ago and the types of laptops in this situation haven't been made for a long time as well.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pizzeria Uno, or one of the places Downtown are probably considered to be the definitive pizza places in the city. Lou Malnati's is another one. But my personal favorite is Renaldi's Pizza Pub in the Clark and Diversy area. They've got really good stuffed pizza. And get the garlic cheese bread while you're waiting. It's really easy to get to by El, and the area's pretty cool too. It's where all of the 20-somethings hang out.

As far as what to do, if the Sox are in town, you should go down to the South Side and watch some baseball! Otherwise, you might want to check out Second City for some good improv or something like that.

If you need directions or whatever, let me know.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2007 10:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
You're not even close! Having grown up and been exposed to all of the types of Pizza in the Chicago and burbs Pizzera Uno is so way overrated as to almost be garbage. Give me a good thin crust pizza like that from Home Run Inn, Barone's in Glen Ellyn, or Don and Angie's. Aruellios is also right up there in my book... excellent stuff.
There is no better pizza than these. The thick crust crap costs them zero to give you and is bad for you to boot, its whats on top that matters and what costs.

Here is the official "Best Pizza guide for Chicago" and notice that Home Run Inn is #1 as usual [thumbsup] .

Home Run Inn
A South side favorite for more than 50 years More ...

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria
Buttercrust and suburban start make Lou's unique. More ...

Giordano's Restaurant
Perhaps the first stuffed crusts -- perhaps not. More ...

Gino's East Pizzeria
Chicago's signature deep-dish pizza. More ...

Aurelio's Pizza
Hurray-lio for Aurelio's More ...

Pizzeria Uno
The home of deep-dish pizza. More ...

Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder
Quiet neighborhood bar steps away from the scene. More ...

Piece
Hand-formed East Coast pizza rolls into town. More ...

Pizza Doc
North Side pizza joint claims it's the real thing. More ...

Pizza Metro
There's no place like Rome, but this comes close. More ...

Chicago is great for live music, architecture and museums but not good for much else except alot of congestion. Be sure to go here for a game....

It'll take you a dozen trips there to see the stuff you need to see so don't expect to see much in one trip.

Mark

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2007 11:31 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laptops are no problem. You will have to take it out of the case when you go through security. This can be a pain in the arse when you are holding a carry-on, a coat, laptop bag, liquids/gels in a baggie, cell phone and your shoes. They will not let you turn on your laptop until the plane reaches 10,000 feet though. They will also make you turn it off for landings. Same rules apply to all electronic devices.

I just drove through Chicago today on my way to Milwaukee. If you like blues music I would recommend Kingston Mines. [thumbsup] As far as pizza goes, I ate at Gino's in downtown once when I visited while in college. It was pretty good.

Fogo De Chao in downtown is great place to eat but they have 5 or 6 locations in North America and aren't exclusive to Chicago. They give you a coaster that is green on one side and red on the other. Men walk around in Gaucho pants with meat on skewers. There are about 10 different kinds of meat available. If you want them to bring you more you turn the green side up. To stop service you turn the red side up. It is all you can eat and it is excellent. [thumbsup]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-17-2007 11:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips so far. Going to Second City seems like a really good idea. It wouldn't have occurred to me, although I love comedy. Going to a baseball game would never occur to me either, for different reasons.

quote: Joshua Waaland
when you are holding a carry-on, a coat, laptop bag, liquids/gels in a baggie, cell phone and your shoes
That's why I put my coat/jacket into the checked bag. You normally don't need it inside the airport and plane (unless it starts to snow or rain in the cabin). I thought "liquids and gels" were totally outlawed these days. Don't they make you drink and taste everything you want to carry on? But that's not a problem either. You can pick up toothpaste and shampoo and all that virtually everywhere. I guess it should still be OK to put it into the bag/suitcase that you check? I don't think I really need toothpaste on a 4h flight anyway (thankfully it's a dirct connection).

quote: Joshua Waaland
Men walk around in Gaucho pants
Is that a gay place?

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
There's no place like Rome, but this comes close.
I thought Chicago pizza was totally different from Roman pizza - deep soft crust vs. the very thin crispy crust of Italian pizzas (or "pizze").

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 12:18 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Give me a good thin crust pizza
In Chicago? Chicago is know for its deepdish pizza. OMG...yeah go to Chicago and get thin crust pizza. [Confused]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-18-2007 01:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, get a Chicago hot dog while you're there!

To add to what Mark said, you can probably get Pizzeria Uno in CA. Those are all over the country.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 01:48 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
I guess it should still be OK to put it into the bag/suitcase that you check?
You could even check a (properly registered) gun if you wanted to. You'd just have to properly declare it. [Wink]

It's just the carry-on stuff that they're so touchy about.

If you're going to be out late embibing adult beverages, a great way to end it is by making a stop at Weiner Circle. It's an experience everyone should have at least once. (No, it's not a gay place LOL)

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 01:57 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I wasn't endorsing Pizzeria Uno. I was just stating that it's considered by many to be the quintessential Chicago pizza. Frank's right. In Chicago, eating thin crust pizza is like going to a Cubs game. Good or bad, the alternative is way better.

I agree that Home Run Inn is awesome. But most of my exposure to it has been the frozen stuff, so I never think of it. Best frozen pizza ever, though. And Giordano's is my default pizza. Both thin and stuffed are excellent. But it's such a big chain here in Chicago that I never really think of it as "Chicago Pizza." Regardless, both of these are really good. But don't count Renaldi's out either. And if you're in the near-west suburbs, get a Double-Decker Lumberjack from Old World. The only pizza you'll ever order where the order-taker will ask you, "Are you sure about that?"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-18-2007 02:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be reluctant to stick a laptop in checked luggage, because (i) the bags can be bashed about quite a bit in the automated baggage handling systems, and (ii) items get stolen from checked baggage all the time.

Most airports, but not all, make you remove the computer itself from the bag and put it through the x-ray machine separately. I presume the reason for this is that some of the more modern scanners can look at a laptop within a bag, but that most airports haven't invested in them yet. Doing so would make the queues move a lot quicker, IMHO.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-18-2007 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never check my coat with the baggage. My rule is never check what you can't afford to lose. Like you said, toiletries can be bought anywhere so thoes go in the suitcase. My jacket does not...though I could buy something at my destination...I like my jacket and don't want to replace it.

You won't have a problem with the laptop as others have said...in fact about 30% of the people pull them out nowadays once the plane is up in the air. I too will use one to catch up on things or even to use as a DVD player on long trips.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2007 08:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
In Chicago? Chicago is know for its deepdish pizza. OMG...yeah go to Chicago and get thin crust pizza.
Its actually the other way around! Don and Angies had been in Glen Ellyn since my dad was a kid, hand tossed thin crust that was awesome! That thick crap didn't come in till the late 60's or early 70's... someone figured that people would think they are getting more for their money... dough is cheap... cheese still stands as the single most expensive pizza ingredient. If you enjoy eating a loaf of bread then go for the thick stuff [Eek!] . Stuffed pizza was introduced in the Chicago area in the late 70's, its not bad but not traditional... at least you're not eating a loaf of bread. Fortunately we have one Conneis Pizza here in SLC so I can still get my Chicago "fix" once in a while.
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-18-2007 11:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Most airports, but not all, make you remove the computer itself from the bag and put it through the x-ray machine separately.
Won't that erase the hard drive? I've had credit cards blanked by airport x-rays before.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real reason for the no electronics usage below 10,000 feet is for emergencies. They don't want stuff to be out and in the way and also don't want anything distracting to you. The airplane audio or video is ok because if the pilot or flight attendent makes an announcement, it mutes out the entertainment audio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: