Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Don Imus' Radio-Thon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Don Imus' Radio-Thon
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 09:12 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don Imus has done this radio-thon for 18 years straight. It benefits the "Tomorrow's Children's Fund" which helps kids with cancer, the "CJ Foundation for SIDS" which obviously benefits SIDS research, and the "Imus Ranch" which also benefits children with cancer.

Since Imus was pulled from MSNBC, his exposure of this radio-thon will certainly make the donations suffer. This does go to the children.

Any donations will be accepted

The number is: 1-877-877-6464

http://wfan.com/pages/332252.php

The main site for the radio-thon

http://www.atcfkid.com/

Tomorrow's Children's Fund

http://www.cjsids.com/

CJ Foundation for SIDS

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3359675/

Introduction to the Imus Ranch

So, if you can donate, please do so. Regardless of your opinions on Imus' comments, there still is a radio-thon going on. For the record, this was not conveniently scheduled due to this...this is scheduled every year...

It does benefit children. I donated a small bit and am getting my family to donate much more.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 09:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole Don Imus deal is stupid and ridiculous. Another offhand comment blown all out of proportion. He can apologize all he wants but it probably won't do much good.

I usually don't like Howard Stern, but he made a right-on comment on this case: About Imus, Howard said, "He should have said 'Fuck you, it was a joke.'"

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 09:57 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also on HOward, Robin said the guy called her a nigger. And he has referred to NPR's Gwen Ifill's as the cleaning lady. The guy has some serious issues with dark skinned black women. Howard Stern does a lot of offensive racial humor, but he rarely gets this kind of outrage from black leaders because he hasn't shown a trend of hateful tone when he makes his jokes.

Having said that, I would not fire him because I believe in free speech. MSNBC could have waited for his contract to end. Also prominent political guests could have done what Cal Ripken did and not humor Imus with their appearances on his show and let it die a slow death.

I would rather see talk show hosts expose their bigotry for everyone to see in the open. If I am the basketball players, I would have turned the tables on him and called him a has been old cracker.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 10:22 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pravin Ratnam
If I am the basketball players, I would have turned the tables on him and called him a has been old cracker.

Which would have put them on his level.

Regardless how you feel about these comments being broadcast across the globe, I think the point is that these are kids he's talking about. It's doubtful he'd have said the same thing about a team of white kids from Mercer Island. If my daughters had been the target of a comparison like that, I'd have been pissed, too.

Past that, I think it's revealing how many people pile on when something like this happens. Imus has done this kind of "cruel humor slapstick" his whole career. He went overboard and is getting slapped for it, but it's amazing how many other talk hosts and politicos are now "righteouosly indignant". A week ago, most of them would have jumped at the chance to be interviewed on his program.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-12-2007 10:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may have been good for those Rutgers basketball players to respond by calling Imus a has-been cracker. Who really cares about what some old radio host has to say?

This was just a chance for guys like Al Sharpton to get lots of TV interview time and turn what really is a non-story into something that actually leads some newscasts over far more important events around the world.

My own gut feeling is that Imus didn't really intend to come off as racist as much as he was in trying to use commonly heard black terminology in an attempt to sound more hip in describing the female basketball players. The ploy blew up in his face. I've heard black people all the time putting down each other, using "nappy" as a common insult.

It never plays well when white people try to use black slang. It just sounds goofy and pretentious. Probably the most goofy example of this currently is country singer Trace Adkins' song Honky Tonk Badonkadonk. My skin just crawls whenever that song plays on the radio. The fact that lots of white people like that song is just sad. It's also really stupid when white kids try to act black and talk black. I can't think of many things more fake than that. Jamie Kennedy is trying to turn his whole career into lampooning the subject. He already did Malibu's Most Wanted and now has Kickin' It Old School on the way. That'll probably suck too.

Imus may actually wind up profiting from this episode due to all the publicity he is getting. For one thing, I was surprised to hear Howard Stern, of all people, say anything in defense of Imus. The two are normally really bitter rivals.

There's also a growing, yet still silent, backlash brewing in all this type of controversy. Over the past couple years we've seen white people who are public figures or even private citizens lose their jobs or at least have their careers seriously harmed by racially toned verbal gaffes. Lots of white people are wondering why whites are the only ones paying any penalty for that kind of behavior. Just about every black comedian and many other black entertainers say racist things about white people and do so with impunity.

I think if one guy from one race has to lose his job for a bigoted comment, then NO one regardless of race should have any immunity at all from the same penalty.

The better solution would be for lots of people to get the giant stick out of their uptight asses. There is a knob on that radio or TV set. Don't like something some entertainer says? Don't watch it! Duh!

And when media whores like Al Sharpton keep getting lots of press and interviews over this sort of thing all it does is stir the pot and make matters worse.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 10:50 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never listened to Don Imus. I have been told that he is just a skeleton wearing a cowboy hat.

I think this whole thing is extremely blown out of proportion. This type of thing should serve as a warning of things to come.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 10:58 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that an old white guy makes a comment and gets taken to task for it when black leaders, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton come especially to mind, FREQUENTLY make similar and worse remarks and they get richer and even more the darlings of the press. It works BOTH ways.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-12-2007 11:16 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Imus needs to break his broadcast contract. XM Radio, is reportedly interested in hiring him. Will "work" on pay radio. Louis

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 11:19 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I dont get is why anyone who finds themselves in the shoes of Michael Richards, Don Imus, etc, go straight to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton... these guys are the worst two bottom feeders just looking to push their own agendas and get publicity. Jackson once referred to New York as Hymie Town, and on stern the other day, they played a clip of a recent interview where teh person asked him about that, and Jackson just deflected it and ranted about Imus.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-12-2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah. That's how it goes. When a white celebrity shoots his mouth off the wrong way he needs to be fired for it, sued and maybe even thrown in jail. When a black celebrity says something bigoted it is deemed "intelligent social commentary."
[Roll Eyes]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 11:59 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a non-Christian, I find it educational as to how Reverend Jackson and Reverend Sharpton implement the worthy Christian ideal of turning the other cheek and forgiveness.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 01:13 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, I would not have fired him despite my dislike for this guy. But I would not say it was an innocuous comment. The guy has been saying stuff like this on air and in private for a while now. And there is a difference when someone in your own community makes an offtaste joke using a racist term against one's own race. Context does matter. And to a smaller extent, numbers matter too. I think a black racist has more ability to do more harm to a white minority(example: ZImbabwe) with words than a black bigot can do the same with the same words to a white majority, if one is to assume words can hurt. I come from the school where if you use words on me, I will not whine, but then dont complain to the cops when I slug you in the face or complain to someone else if I insult you in a worse way. Obviously Imus is not from that school either. Also I do not think rappers language is a valid analogy.

Rappers these days indulge in a lot of crap. But we got a lot of "extreme" entertainment mostly by white guys and gals in other areas where there is a lot of derogatory stuff against women. Are we going to censor these people just because a national radio host won't be permitted to engage in similar mysogyny? THe difference is also the type of program you are pitching. And you look at Imus's guest list, no wonder he will get scrutiny. You ever wonder why Howard went to satellite and never gets this level of protests from black leaders? There is a lot of racial humor on his show too.

I think Jesse Jackson saying hymietown is a more valid point to compare this to. It's like my jewish friends will make some really bad jewish jokes, but it is different if a non jewish person made a holocaust or nazi related joke on them. I see nothing hypocritical about allowing people from one race to use a racist term on their own terms. And I do not think white people can say it is all in the past. A lot of the people who used these racist terms are still alive now.

FWIW, I was more concerned when Jimmy The Greek got fired. What he said about black slaves and breeding was a little cringeworthy, but I doubt he did it in an intentionally derogatory way. For him to lose his job over some clumsy attempt at explaining a theory was ridiculous. The guy is an old guy. And there were no other examples cites of his past behavior. And it wasn't even a racist statement. Ignorant, possibly, but not racist or even prejudiced. On any of those factors alone, it was an unjustified firing by CBS. and Based on all those factors, it was a very PC decision.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 01:28 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
As a non-Christian, I find it educational as to how Reverend Jackson and Reverend Sharpton implement the worthy Christian ideal of turning the other cheek and forgiveness
As a christian all I can say in these two folks cases, It is piculiar how money seems to do that very thing for them.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 01:28 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pravin, Imus wasn't completely fired...yet at least...

He was dropped by MSNBC and in suspended from CBS at the moment...

Brett G. Sherris
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2007 01:40 PM      Profile for Brett G. Sherris   Author's Homepage   Email Brett G. Sherris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think Anthony's comment on yesterday's Opie & Anthony show summed it up pretty well.

Speaking on the subject of our rapidly evaporating First Amendment rights here in the US, he analogized that when some public figure says something politically incorrect, they metaphorically get bashed in the head by the media. So, while they do have the RIGHT to say what they want, they get bashed again and again for each comment they make. The constant societal pummelings effectively silence the individual.

The "Thought Police" ware growing stronger by the day folks...and if somebody doesn't stand up to the pressure imposed by the Sharptons and the Jacksons, we are soon going to find ourselves scared to express even the most benign criticisms.

The fact of the matter is that if "people of color" would collectively reject the patronizing characterization of themselves as victims espoused by "Reverend" Sharpton, he would lose his power faster than Freddy at the end of Elm Street 1!

In short, it is well past time that Sharpton's "constituants" put him on the unemployment line! They would be all better for it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: