Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Comic Strip 'B.C.' Creator Dies

Author Topic: Comic Strip 'B.C.' Creator Dies
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 10:50 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo!/AP News Link

quote:
Johnny Hart, 'B.C.' creator, dies at 76

By MARY ESCH,
Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 45 minutes ago

Cartoonist Johnny Hart, whose award-winning "B.C." comic strip appeared in more than 1,300 newspapers worldwide, has died. He was 76.

Hart died Saturday while working at his home in Endicott.

"He had a stroke," his wife, Bobby, said Sunday. "He died at his storyboard."

"B.C.," populated by prehistoric cavemen and dinosaurs, was launched in 1958 and eventually appeared in more than 1,300 newspapers with an audience of 100 million, according to Creators Syndicate Inc., which distributes it.

"He was generally regarded as one of the best cartoonists we've ever had," Hart's friend Mell Lazarus, creator of the "Momma" and "Miss Peach" comic strips, said from his California home. "He was totally original. 'B.C' broke ground and led the way for a number of imitators, none of which ever came close."

After he graduated from Union-Endicott High School, Hart met Brant Parker, a young cartoonist who became a prime influence and co-creator with Hart of the "Wizard of Id" comic strip.

Hart enlisted in the Air Force and began producing cartoons for Pacific Stars and Stripes. He sold his first freelance cartoon to the Saturday Evening Post after his discharge from the military in 1954.

He won numerous awards for his work, including the National Cartoonist Society's prestigious Reuben Award twice for Cartoonist of the Year.

Later in his career, some of Hart's cartoons had religious themes, a reflection of his own Christian faith. That sometimes led to controversy.

A strip published on Easter in 2001 drew protests from Jewish groups and led several newspapers to drop the strip. The cartoon depicted a menorah transforming into a cross, with accompanying text quoting some of Jesus Christ's dying words. Critics said it implied that Christianity supersedes Judaism.

Hart said he intended the strip as a tribute to both faiths.

"He had such an emphasis on kindness, generosity, and patience," said Richard Newcombe, founder and president of Creators Syndicate in Los Angeles.

Newcombe said Hart was the first cartoonist to sign on when the syndicate was created 20 years ago. "Traditionally, comic strips were owned by syndicates," Newcombe said. "We were different because we allowed cartoonists to own their own work. It was because of Johnny's commitment to this idea that made us a success."

Newcombe said "B.C." and "Wizard of Id" would continue. Family members have been helping produce the strips for years, and they have an extensive computer archive of Hart's drawings to work with, he said.

When "Peanuts" creator Charles Schulz died in 2000, United Media, which held the rights to the strip featuring Charlie Brown and Snoopy, started running old panels of the cartoon.

Besides his wife, Hart is survived by two daughters, Patti and Perri. He was a native of Endicott, about 135 miles northwest of New York City, and drew his comic strip at a studio in his home there until the day he died.

A funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the Nineveh Presbyterian Church.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-09-2007 12:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sad news.

I grew up reading the B.C. comic strip in newspapers (along with others like Hagar The Horrible, Beetle Bailey and of course Peanuts). When when 1980's sensations like Bloom County, The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes hit the scene, strips like Hart's B.C. still held their own.

Good to hear that he passed on while he was doing what he loved. That's how I want to check out.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad stuff.

I remember when RC cola used the BC charactors in its commercials.

Fat Broad and her snake problems... Funny!

And my favorite, GROG!

Maybe the syndicators will reissue older strips again.

RIP

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-09-2007 08:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
...he was doing what he loved. That's how I want to check out.
So you want to die while posting on Film-Tech? [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-10-2007 12:07 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would beat dying on the toilet while pinching a loaf.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
It would beat dying on the toilet while pinching a loaf.

Say, Elvis did it his own way! To each, his own! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: