Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 3D ? Will be avaliable soon on free to air.

Author Topic: 3D ? Will be avaliable soon on free to air.
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 08:45 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on 9msn today
quote:
Home-grown 3D series to hit world market
Friday Apr 6 09:14 AEST
A team of Queensland animators is putting the final touches on a 3D animated children's series to launch to the global television and trade market in Cannes, France, this month.

Queensland State Development Minister John Mickel said the 3D animation used a sophisticated technique usually reserved for feature films which would set it aside from other productions.

The series was based on the popular children's picture book Animalia by Melbourne author Graeme Base, which has sold more than three million copies since its release 20 years ago.

Mr Mickel was at the Animalia TV series' Gold Coast base, Warner Roadshow Studios, to announce a $200,000 grant to Gold Coast visual effects company Photon VFX which worked on the international project.

"The innovative series is poised to set a new benchmark for television animation world-wide when broadcast in Australia and overseas from September 2007," Mr Mickel said.

|  IP: Logged

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 09:21 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the article isn't just referring to 3D computer animation, rather than some process to make TV look 3D?

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 11:15 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its hard to say with a press release like that one!

the link was titled, Home-grown 3D series to hit world market

I took it at face value, but suggest that it may just be spin re style, sending out all those glasses would be a pain!

The only time I worked on a 3D Tv Show, it used red and green glasses, 250,000 were sent out in the post(I personally made 9,000 sets and put them in envelopes) It used 2 video cameras on a special mount. It was simply cheesy inserts, For australian film techers it was final episode of a Andrew Denton show called BLAH BLAH BLAH in 1989.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-06-2007 01:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me like it's just computer-animated stuff. Red/Blue glasses don't work well for TV since most aren't calibrated very well for color, and even then NTSC and PAL are both very limited with their crappy visuals. Neither deserve to exist. If they did it with HDTV, then the MPEG2 artifacting would destroy the 3D image. I wonder which technology is older... anaglyph 3D or MPEG2?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I predict a flurry of "my picture looks funny" calls to TV stations and cable systems when this thing airs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: