Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone Ever Run A Hollywood Premiere? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anyone Ever Run A Hollywood Premiere?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anyone here has ever been projectionist for a Hollywood film premiere. Giovanni Ribisi and Halle Berry were here in Cleveland last week for a premiere of their new film, Perfect Stranger. The theater that it premiered at is just 10 minutes from my house.

There is the Macedonia Cinemark just 2 minutes from my house that I used to work at (pictures are in the picture warehouse) and the Cinemark Valley View where the premiere was held. Sometimes we go to Macedonia and sometimes we go to Valley View. The manager I worked for at the Macedonia theater is now the manager at the Valley View theater. She had asked me to come work for her as an assistant manager when she went to Valley View but I was getting out of the theater business and turned it down. Wishing I didn't now.

I have always wanted to run a premiere for a film but have never had the chance. I was wondering who has had the priviledge of doing this.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-02-2007 09:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of them probably bring their own projectionists. I bet the unions go apeshit.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-02-2007 09:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in close proximity to a few premieres, oddly enough with a couple pre-release events having been held here in Lawton, OK of all places. Never wanted to be the projectionist for one. If something goes wrong, they blame you.

FYI, the world premiere of Geronimo: An American Legend was held in Lawton in the fall of 1993 (at the crappy and now closed Cache 8 theater, operated through much of its life by United Artists). Pretty lame that hardly any of the main actors attended the event, particularly with Geronimo having spent his last days in Lawton-Fort Sill and his grave being aboard Fort Sill. I guess the stars preferred attending a premiere on one of the coasts (and watching it on a 70mm blow-up print).

Mel Gibson visited Lawton last fall, holding a private screening of Apocalypto for Kiowa, Apache and Comanche tribe leaders at the Cameron University screening room. Gibson arrived at the event in disguise, but waved to a small crowd outside the theater once the screening was finished. He showed the film to tribal groups in Austin the next day. The videographed movie opened about a month later.

Pauly Shore made a throw-away Army comedy called In The Army Now, which would probably be inappropriate to show today in light of current events. Some of the film was shot aboard Fort Sill. A fellow I know named Allen Stokes played an Army Drill Sergeant in the movie, which was no big stretch since the tall, scary looking dude was already an Army D.I. in his day job.

People in this city are going to have another "premiere" of sorts for another retired Army Drill Instructor -a watch party for an airing of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. The crew from the TV series came to Lawton and helped a lot of local builders and volunteers make a brand new home for an Army family badly in need of one. Don't know for sure if the episode is airing April 15 or April 22. Anyone who likes watching that TV series should definitely check out this one. A real military tank was used to demolish the old house!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-03-2007 12:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several. Most were during my long association as chief of the Kentucky Theatre booth, in Lexington. Two I can recall off the top of my head:

"Steel" (Lee Majors actioner), late 70s or early 80s. Most of the leads, the director, et.al., were in the audience.
"Superman 2", some special benefit arrangement. Ran concurrently with the L.A. and NYC premieres. Some production people were in attendance. No stars, though, I don't think.

I also remember a B-picture I ran the premiere of, because the director was from Lexington. It was called "The Evil Blade" or "Satan's Blade"... something like that. Strictly drive-in fare.

As with all my shows there, everything ran without a hitch. [Wink] [Razz]

Oh, yes! I was also the LucasFilm TAP rep for some special showing of "Space Camp" in 1986, down in New Orleans. I don't remember if it was THE world premiere, but the director and cast were in attendance. I was called in for that primarily because it was being run fullcoat mag-interlock. I think they were still open to changing the cut depending on the audience reaction, since the Challenger disaster happened earlier that year.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2007 01:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran Pure Country in SRD in 1992 at the deceased Cinemark Vista Ridge 12. I remember it was a Warner release, flat and 6 reels. The DA10/cat699 were flown out and installed by some Dolby techs. The studio had their own projectionist sent out as well, but after spending a day watching movies at the multiplex while the Dolby guys set up, he asked me to handle and project the print. (Maybe he wasn't familiar with platters, but regardless the presentation we had was excellent so I took it as a compliment.)

Other than that one instance, I have ran several premieres at film festivals and plenty at the deceased GCC Northpark 1 & 2.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2007 07:53 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was visiting the Cinema World that I got my first projectionist job at several years after I had left. The film Edge of Seventeen was playing then. The director and a few of his friends came to see it. I remember some of the employees were talking about how they thought it sucked and they didn't realize the guy standing 15 feet away was the director. [uhoh]

So do the projectionists that work in Hollywood work for the studios? Do directors still run dailies? Do the projectionists travel with the film crew to the filming site to run the dailies? I wonder if there are any projectionists on Film-Tech that work in this area of the industry that can share. [Confused]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-03-2007 08:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only film-festival stuff that never went anywhere and mostly wasn't all that good to begin with.

Some titles that come to mind: Kiss the Bride (which I think went on to become a Lifetime movie), some crappy Showtime movie, Indian Cowboy, Keep your Distance (whose director was really friendly and good to deal with) and maybe a handful of others. Not very exciting.

While it's not an official premiere, I'll be running the opening engagement of "Brooklyn Rules," which opens on one screen in Rhode Island for its first week (May 11).

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-03-2007 10:17 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I think a lot of them probably bring their own projectionists.
Yes, They sent most of the time two people, one is the head of the department and a studio projectionist. And then you get the Dolby Tech. too.

quote: Joe Redifer
I bet the unions go apeshit.
It all depends on the local which governs that location. In the past the regular operator would sit standby on the show and get a 8 hour studio call. (studio projectionist rate) Now I've been hearing that the theatre is now paying the operator at his regular job rate instead.

I've run many premieres and special cast and crew and special media screenings all over Hollywood and Westwood areas over the years for Disney, Columbia, Warner, Universal, Miramax, Paramount and 20th Century-Fox.

My favorite Premiere houses:
  • Mann's National
    Mann's Village
    GCC Avco Center
    Cineplex's Century City
    Pacific's El Capitan
    Pacific's Hollywood Pacific
    Pacific's Cinerama Dome
And the ABC Screening Room in Century City and the Broadway Screening Room in Times Square in NYC.

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2007 12:01 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The closest I came to a worl premier was a screening for the national press for The Package with Gene Hackman. They did it here in Seattle because Mr. Hackman was shooting a film in Vancouver, Canada and there were more hotel rooms available here. Orion pictures sent a studio projectionist. We are Union here in Seattle so I built the print and ran the show. We did a tech screening and then later that night the real show. Siskel, Ebert, and a lot of national press were in attendance. It was fun. About a week after the show I got a thank you card and check for $200.00 from the studio projectionist.
We also do many premiers and director screenings during the Seattle Film Festival. I have also done unmarried test screeings at my theatre for Coppola, Bertolucchi, Richard Rush, and a few others. Coppolas were for Godfather 3, and Gradens of Stone. Bertolucchi was for Little Buddha. Richard Rushs was for Color of Night.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-03-2007 12:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I've been fortunate...I've done many premiers at all grades from World to area or benefit. This includes non-theatrical HBO type premiers too.

It is really nice to see EK prints...it is amazing how much better they are than relase prints...even "select" prints.

I've also done test screenings where each splice is numbered (picture and track...back when they used dubbers all of the time) and we ran the film for two shows and changes were made to the picture/sound between performances.

I would think the Hollywood and NY people would get the vast majority of World Premiers.

Cast and Crew showings (not really a premier) occur around here (mid Atlantic) due to the popularity of DC, Baltimore, Philly, with various movie stories. Also, M. Night tends to shoot in the Philly area for all of his films so it is pretty common to have a Cast and Crew in the King of Prussia area (just outside of Philly)...I did the Cast and Crew for Signs, The Village for instance. The Village was interesting in that due to the layout of the theatre complex, we had two theatres for the Cast and Crew...but they were at opposite ends of the complex. As much as you try, you can't over come some problems...the was a bad lightning storm that evening...it knocked out the power for about 20-minutes...shut both shows down.

I will say, I've always enjoyed doing Disney and HBO special screenings....the people that I've had to work with have always been absolutely top notch.

Steve

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-03-2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
While it's not an official premiere, I'll be running the opening engagement of "Brooklyn Rules," which opens on one screen in Rhode Island for its first week (May 11).

Is that the Lindsey Lohan film with Jane Fonda. If so it is called Georgia Rules. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-03-2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been the "studio guy" for premieres back in the 80's including The Firm in Memphis Tn. My policy is too do "what is normal" unless that is bad. This means that the normal operator gets the job unless he convinces me he cannot handle it. If there is a Union situation, usually that guarantees quality projection; if not, we pay him anyway and use our guy. Louis

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-03-2007 01:27 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
Is that the Lindsey Lohan film
quote: Scott Norwood
"Brooklyn Rules"
Is the Alec Baldwin, Freddie Prinze Jr. movie. Formerly known as "Nailed Right In".

imdB

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2007 01:45 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
The Village was interesting in that due to the layout of the theatre complex, we had two theatres for the Cast and Crew...but they were at opposite ends of the complex.
I used to live in Philly. Just wondering if that was the UA King of Prussia (the one with the IMAX)?

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2007 01:45 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projectionists in L.A. come in four groups. First there are the non-union ones, who work the vast majority of day-to-day multiplex jobs like everywhere else. The union projectionists/technicians belong to one of three locals, depending on whether they work in theatres, labs, or studios.

In L.A., I've worked overflow houses on premieres a few times, but never the main house. I'm part of the theatre projectionists' local. As Bill mentioned, there are also studio and Dolby technicians on hand. There is always a run-through prior to the actual show to make sure everything is fine.

I did run dailies once, back when I was living in Hawaii, for the filming of "Pearl Harbor". I was the guy from the Hawaii local, and a Disney studio projectionist also flew in for this (yes, two people at the same time to run dailies!).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: