Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My Projection Efforts Have Been Compared to Cannes

Author Topic: My Projection Efforts Have Been Compared to Cannes
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-02-2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday we completed the 15th annual Virginia Commonwealth University French Film Festival. Thirteen feature films and twelve shorts across two days and one evening, all run on 2000 ft. reels. Sunday afternoon during the second from last film, the director of one of the features came to the booth and said the only place he's seen screenings of this calibre is Cannes. About an hour later the director of one of the shorts came in and made a similar comment.
I thanked both of them and asked them to make the same remarks to my boss and the director of the festival. I have no knowledge Cannes, have I received a compliment or what. I asked the second guy if he was acquainted with the other and he said he had never met him.

[ 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2007 08:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cannes (pronounced "can") = The world's most-famous film festival. It is held in May, in a resort town of the same name in the south of France. I don't know what the projection is like there, but would assume it's excellent.

So I would say you got a compliment.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-03-2007 12:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I don't think they would've said that if it was a put-down.

Congratulations! You do film right! [thumbsup] [beer]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Bill! It was definitely a compliment. And for two guys to climb up there to deliver it in person adds even more value. See you in mid June...Rick

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-03-2007 10:37 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cannes is the granddaddy festival of them all. They do reel-to-reel changes at all Cannes venues with very few screwups. They have good projection teams there. You did proud.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-03-2007 10:42 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a compliment to me. [beer] [Cool]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good work Bill, its professionals like you that gives film a good name. Extra points for maintaining standards under the high pressure of a film festival workload. [thumbsup]

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, Awesome!!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-05-2007 08:07 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you. It is definately not a complaint; therefore it is a compliment. What I have heard of Cannes is very good as to presentation. Louis

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Bill!

Two years ago I was paid a similar compliment by a director, but in that case he said my presentation was better than Cannes. I was surprised such a well-known film festival could have relatively lax presentation standards but the more I think of it, maybe his showings there were run by a burned-out relief projectionist nowhere near the top of his (or her) game. It's possible...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: