Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jack Valenti suffers stroke

Author Topic: Jack Valenti suffers stroke
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-27-2007 03:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to CNN article

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Jack Valenti, who served as president of the Motion Picture Association of America for nearly four decades, has suffered a stroke and has been taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, officials said.

Valenti, 85, suffered the stroke "recently," said a woman at the Motion Picture Association of America, which he led for 38 years.

"He is under a doctor's care; he is resting comfortably," the spokeswoman said.

A spokeswoman for Johns Hopkins Medical Center said he is a patient there. "The family doesn't want us to give out any information," said spokeswoman Beth Simpkins.

Valenti was born in Houston, Texas, educated at the University of Houston and Harvard Business School and served as a bomber pilot during World War II, for which he won a number of decorations.

In 1952, he co-founded Weekley & Valenti, an advertising agency.

Valenti's agency handled the press during the November 22, 1963, visit of President Kennedy and Vice President Lyndon Johnson to Dallas. Valenti was in the motorcade six cars behind the president's when Kennedy was assassinated.

Less than an hour later, Johnson had hired Valenti as special assistant to the president and the two men were flying to Washington aboard Air Force One.

Three years later, Valenti resigned to become president and chief executive officer of the Motion Picture Association of America, which he led until 2004, when he resigned. Valenti was central to creating the MPAA rating system -- now G, PG, PG-13, R and NC-17 -- as a way to rate films as appropriate for certain age groups.

Valenti is a life member of the Directors Guild of America and a member of the board of trustees of the American Film Institute.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is he in the DGA?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-27-2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an interesting 'mini biography' of Valenti in Lawrence Lessig's book Free Culture: as you can probably guess, given Lessig's attitude to copyright, it isn't exactly complimentary. He is characterised as a very, very clever political operator, but who doesn't really understand the implications of what he's campaigning for.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-27-2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I would comment, but I elect to do as my Mommy told me... you know, the thingie about if ya can't say something nice... [uhoh]

Besides, if I said what I thought, my Guardian Angel would disown me! HA! [Razz]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-27-2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
Why is he in the DGA?
It's a Honorary Membership given to select people from that Guild. That happen to give special services in the Motion Picture industry.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-31-2007 05:03 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Jack was like Dick Clark, you know, a robot!

We all love Jack, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Here is wishing him the best and a good recovery. Not that he would ever see this, but hey.

Ciao

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2007 05:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: