Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hoyts Sylvia Park opens the BIGGEST 35mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Hoyts Sylvia Park opens the BIGGEST 35mm
Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 02:59 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoyts are claiming the biggest 35mm Screen in the world !!!!?????
HOYTS CINEMAXX
quote:
CINEMAXX will be the largest in New Zealand, beating the 23.5 meter-wide screen at Hoyts’ Riccarton cinema complex in Christchurch, currently the biggest. Hoyts has made an application with the Guinness World RecordsTM to determine whether the largest screen in the complex, at 30.670 metres-wide and over 13 metres tall, will be the world’s largest! The gigantic screen, which took 20 people to install, was made specifically for Hoyts and requires a projector run by an 8000-watt bulb to project images onto the surface.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-27-2007 03:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8000 watts? Hope they plan on replacing the prints on a regular basis.

[Roll Eyes]

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 04:18 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John , have you moved ???

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 04:53 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John dont worry about the prints, knowing hoyts,

Paul forget the hype, Big is only better if its IMAX.

[ 03-27-2007, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Cameron Glendinning ]

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 05:24 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep I'll be seeing 300 in the IMAX , I can say that Hoyts here in NZ used to have the best people working in there cinemas , I only hope they continue to "focus" on presentation and not on gimicks , too many times I have gone to complex's and seen out of focus , wrong aspect and incorrect masking , splicing etc , this takes the magic out of watching a movie , I don't care too much about How Big or better their toys are , just give me film done right and I'll be back . [thumbsup]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 06:47 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Having worked in a 10 plex, I can honestly say that it is possible to do film done right in those conditions.

Its just that in those many years that I went there to the local Hoyts, never once did I see a film as the filmakers intended. dark picture, crap speakers (woofers for the surround chanel ? um bass is NOT directional), wow and flutter. I am not exagerating when I say it made VHS a higher quality choice.

There later cinema complexs are better designed, so I hope you have much better time than I did.

They have assured me that the problems at that complex will finally be solved this year. um over 10 years after they opened.

With customer focus and service like that...

[ 03-27-2007, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Cameron Glendinning ]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-27-2007 10:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Yes. For a short time before returning to The Emerald City.

John.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-27-2007 02:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not impressed by a big screen at all unless the image projected onto it is both properly bright and properly sharp.

A 23.5 by 13 meter screen is big enough to warrant use of 5-perf 70mm projection. They can try running 35mm on it, but I'll bet the images end up looking dim regardless of the custom 8000 watt lamp house.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-27-2007 03:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because they say it's 8000 in the press don't make it so.

Whatever the size...it'll be under-lit, over-size and out-of-focus...guaranteed.

16 foot lamberts??? Ha! The public'll never know. [sex]

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, the hype works on a section of the market. I have had some of my customers say they will go to see x on a really big screen (never mind the quality, feel the width) - then tell me later that it was great but the print wasn't good.

There are probably 200 posts on this site that confirm 70mm prints are not coming back. Those giant screens are like building a 4 metre wide car to use in the city.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-27-2007 07:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest 35mm??? Hardly: most older drive ins are 100+ feet. Locally, we had/have 3 that are 150 ft. Even our local first run 13 screen built in the '60s has 2 at 75 ft and one at 80 ft. Louis

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 11:26 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that a screen like this needs 70MM prints to do it justice.

But I have to say, as a moviegoer, this is pretty appealing to me. A 100' screen is a reason to go to the movies. It is not something I can replicate in my home.

There are too many small screens out there and not enough big ones. If this one is "a little too big," then that's still preferable to "a little too small."

Cheers,
Jonesy

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-27-2007 11:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't come to my negative judgment about 35mm on really large screens just from reading statistics. I've watched a good number of movies over the years on indoor screens larger than 70' in width. 35mm projection has looked dim on all of them. The really large screens also do more to amplify the appearance of grain or just blur detail.

35mm film projection just isn't suitable for giant screen use...at least not the normal 4-perf variety. VistaVision would work a LOT better. But since the industry couldn't even adopt things like 30fps frame rates, 6000' reels, etc., there's no chance in hell of seeing VistaVision making any kind of comeback outside of special venue use.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 12:01 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. I'm only expressing the opinion of a single movie-goer, not a film god, or a film jedi, or even a film handler, though it says so at the left. [Smile]

I too have seen a number of films on 70'+ screens, and I can only remember being disappointed with dimness once. (And I politely brought it to the attention of the staff afterwards.)

I have also been in a number of auditoriums where, in order to have the image fill my field of vision (my personal preference), I had to sit so close that I could see the perforations in the screen.

My ten bucks will go to slightly dim and giant over perforations and tiny any day. And when my only choice is "tiny," I'll wait and see it at home.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-28-2007 12:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, isn't the Radio City Music Hall's screen in scope opening close to this 100 x 42 ft size?

quote: Bobby Henderson
VistaVision would work a LOT better ..
..if VistaVision can look good on that big of screen since it was a flat format and using prime IB prints...(unless you're talking about doing the actual 8 perf lateral feed projection instead of the 90 degree printed release prints of the same ..)

(How about going all the way with bringing back CINERAMA then if we are shooting the moon here..using 6 perf, three strip projection...)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: