Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » UK: 8/16mm Archivists.

Author Topic: UK: 8/16mm Archivists.
Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 11:30 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So our University 'Friends Trust' has decided to open another round of funding for projects that contribute something to the 'UCL Community'. Our Film and TV Society, which I help run, is considering bidding for funding to get our 16mm film archive properly recorded, stored and possibly digitised.

Does anyone know of companies/individuals who do this professionally, and what should we expect to pay per hour/reel? The job is relatively big, although part of the problem is we have no idea what is in there. I found a Joseph Goebbels propaganda speech a couple of weeks ago next to a reel of shots chronicling the construction of possibly a power plant.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Caleb.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-20-2007 11:52 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might like to post a query on the Association of Moving Image Archivists' email list (which is open to non-members) - see www.amianet.org for more details.

The issues are going to be:

1. How much of this is unique material and how much is prints of material which is already preserved elsewhere? From your description (i.e. the Goebbels speech) it sounds like there could be a significant amount of the latter.

2. Of the unique material, putting in place measures to preserve the original elements.

3. Cataloguing the material (including establishing its provenance and copyright status), and making access copies.

Step one is going to be evaluate the approximate quantity, technical condition and content of the material. That will establish a likely ballpack cost and timescale of doing this work. You might end up considering whether to deposit some of your materials for permanent preservation with an established moving image archive, as they would have the expertise and facilities in house to deal with it (e.g. temperature and humidity controlled storage facilities). But there are potential issues there, many of them around copyright. The preservation routes, catalouging and access provision studies are many and various; and really too much for me to fully outline here.

There are a number of freelance consultants in the UK who could do an evaluation and feasibility study for you - please email me privately if you'd like some names and contact details.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have an email. Thanks for the advice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: