Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why are there Boeing commercials on TV? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why are there Boeing commercials on TV?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-15-2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a little puzzled by that. Sometimes, on the travel channel, and maybe on others, too, they have Boeing commercials in which you see a lot of really nice and happy people work and smile really hard to make better planes - very obviously cast so that more or less every ethnic group is represented, which makes them look extremely fake and pseudo-PC - and why are there no cavemen represented? Because they are *not smart*?

Anyway, while I can theoretically see that some people actually pick up the phone in the middle of the night and order the samurai steak knife set or the blender which even blends chicken wings (with bones) and celery sticks into a powerful and refreshing drink, who is going to get on the phone at 3am in the morning and order an airplane out of boredom, apart from oil sheiks and software billionaires?

Besides, if I spontaneously decide to get myself an airplane, I will buy an Airbus, if only to piss off Mark G.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2007 10:16 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There can be several reasons. Remember that the airline executive watches tv just like a real person. Those ads can make a shareholder feel warm and fuzzy inside and one point in the market can pay for the ads.

It is good to show mere mortals that the maker is ensuring that planes won’t fall out of the sky.

Sometimes advertisers choose not to direct-market.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2007 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Michael... you primed me!

Rich folks travel alot... Its all about selling stock in Boeing.... There is no reason that Airbus couldn't do the same thing... in thinking stock they are actually foolish not to... at least if Airbus is a traded company and at all competetive... Or are they just another weak government supported entity(like NASA) who's plug could be pulled at any moment? Also... the Boeing plane certainly sets far more precedence(than the size of the Airbus)since its airframe is 100% built from composite materials and is far more efficient. Now watch after the 787 sells a bunch...oops it already has... Not that I don't admire the awe of the new Airbus but to me the Airbus is more of a curiosity... like a large flying Concorde... Now the boys at Boeing are very smart... they don't want customers to shy away from buying the 787 because of the back up of orders... with the total of over 470 orders for the 787 there is talk about beginning consruction of a second assembly line at the Everett Plant so no one has an undue long wait for one. Apparently even the large European operators don't believe in Airbus since it is ineresting to note that your own Lufthansa airlines guaranteed another 20 years of flying for the 747 in 12/06 with an order for 20 of the new 747-8 planes and an option for 20 more. What's bad for Airbus is that the 747's presence in commercial flight for another 20 years means the A380 won't be the future of the industry. The 787 Dreamliner and now a refreshed "Queen of the Skies" have taken that over making Boeing's stock a very good investment.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 08:24 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mike on this one...WTF????? Did the commercial actually market it for sale, such as a car ad? If I was a pilot, I would already know about the different manufacturers. If I was rich, I would tell "my people" to go buy me a plane that my pilot is comfortable with. If I was an investor in Boeing, I would be pissed off that Boeing was spending millions on a stupid commercial instead of giving me my share.

I've flown on hundreds of flights, and I never notice what make of plane I am on. Same as when I take a cab or rent a car. Will it get me from point A to point B? O.K., I'll take it.

Rick

P.S. Ron, you look like that guy from M.A.S.H. [Smile]

P.S.S.
quote: Michael Schaffer
and why are there no cavemen represented? Because they are *not smart*?

Hey are you callin Mark "not smart"?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 09:01 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its probably also to generate awareness of the brand by the general public.

If someone is booking a flight, and has a choice between say a Boeing 737 and a Airbus 319, if they have brand awareness they are more likely to book the Boeing flight.

The better the occupancy of a Boeing flight = the airline purchasing more Boeing planes.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 09:32 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Jason, When I call my travel agent, I don't ask what brand of plane I will be on. I suggest airlines, only because of skymile status.

Rick

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-16-2007 11:56 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many people who do ask what "equipment" will be used on a given flight segment and make their choices accordingly. One example - a friend of mine refuses to ride on narrower aircraft like MD-80s or BAe-146s (or the RJ equivalents) or in the old days any Metroliner commuter, due to the cramped interiors on these planes. He definitely follows the adage, "If it ain't a Boeing I ain't going." Don't know what he thinks of Airbus.

Airlines do gauge customer opinion regarding aircraft choices and Boeing knows this. So Boeing gets its name out there in the public mind through TV and print ads. I suppose it's something like the prescription medication ads that are everywhere these days. Get the brand name out there and people will ask their doctors about it by name.

As for me I'll ride or fly anything that flies. Boeing, Airbus, McDonnell Douglas, Lockheed, Convair, Bombardier, Swearingen, Fairchild, BAe, Shorts, Saab, Casa, Embraer, NAMC, Sukhoi, Tupolev, Harbin, Xian, it doesn't matter as long as it flies. [Smile]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 12:16 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Maybe so, I just find it odd, I have never asked what I am flying on. My old boss at Kerasotes is a pilot, and we flew the Comanche on short trips and the twin on the longer trips, but I never paid attention to the brand.

My only concern when I fly is will I get a bulkhead, exit, or isle seat. First class if I'm lucky!!! [thumbsup]

Rick

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-16-2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the TV ads, but I do know that Boeing and Lockheed (and other large government contractors) are major advertisers in the Washington Post (newspaper). I suspect that this is an attempt to influence those who are involved with the awarding of government/military contracts. Obviously, the average reader of the Washington Post isn't going to go out and buy a 787, but presumably the costs of the ads are small when compared with the potential value of a new contract. Do the ads work? I doubt it, but someone at Boeing obviously disagrees.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing applies to BASF. I think both cases are just awareness for people to buy stock.

As far as flying, I am more apt to choose a particular flight based on seating configuration than the aircraft (although the aircraft plays into the configuration). When possible, if traveling with my wife I try to get flights on regional jets, MD-80, 767, 777 (on airlines that do 2-5-2 seating), A300, A330 or A340 so that we can get window and aisle and have our own row.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Schaffer wrote
why are there no cavemen represented? Because they are *not smart*?
Shouldn't that read *cerebrally challenged* ? [Wink]

As for Airbus, Boeing has not much to worry about these days. The suits in France and Germany forgot to use their brains and listen to advice how to build airplanes with sensible logistics, now they are going to fire thousands of workers to make up for their incompetence.

Airbus protests /Times of Malta)
BBC Job Fears Trigger Airbus Protests

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-16-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
why are there no cavemen represented? Because they are *not smart*?
The caveman is represented in some commercials from Geico.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-16-2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam - First of all, I am not 100% in love with your tone right now. That was actually what I was referring to ("duh!").

Christian - you are probably not familiar with these commercials which everybody in the US knows:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=geico+caveman&search=Search
See "at the therapist". But the other ones are funny, too.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-16-2007 05:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam - First of all, I am not 100% in love with your tone right now.
Michael, you failed to take in consideration that Adam is such a BRUTE!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-16-2007 06:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was quoting again (see the clips linked to above).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: